Food Storage: Thinking Outside the Box - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Food Storage: Thinking Outside the Box

This is a discussion on Food Storage: Thinking Outside the Box within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut I do understand your concern, but I will say that no other country in the world has an FDA or USDA ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    I do understand your concern, but I will say that no other country in the world has an FDA or USDA to approve of their preservation methods, that they've been doing probably for as long as Americans have. If you are an experienced canner and know the in's & out's and have successfully canned meats & vegetables...….then it's all about common sense with other products that aren't 'approved'. But do your research too, to make sure others have successfully done it. Mostly your resources would be YouTube or family or friends, so just watch their methods.

Another thing to consider is the fact that botulism is killed at 240(without oxygen) AND any low acid foods should be cooked after opening, before eaten...…..has to do with the bot spores(?) with oxygen are killed in the reheating process (212)…...sorry, that is a bit confusing, but as I had always canned everything in a WB, I finally found someone to explain how botulism worked. I don't remember all the details of the explanation, but it did include the differences in changes of the botulism(germ vs spore) in an oxygen vs no oxygen environment and the amount of heat needed to kill it in each stage (yes it's killed in a pc at 240 in a no oxygen environment, but as precaution against any possible sneakies, to boil after it's opened (212 with oxygen)...…..even USDA/FDA says to boil any low acid foods after opening and before eating. Just sayin

ps...….actually that's probably why I and my mother & Aunt had survived for so many years when WB canning....we never ate low acid foods straight from the jar and always boiled it first. Just a guess, but makes sense.
    To each his own. I figure butter's gonna just be one of those luxuries we will do without if I can't buy it. We can eat bread like the Greeks: dipped in olive oil. Or else there's always peanut butter.
    St. Michael the Archangel,
    defend us in battle.
    Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
    and do thou,
    O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan,
    and all the evil spirits,
    who prowl about the world
    seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Baking powder makes cakes rise. Eggs help hold the baked goods together. It's worth having a jar of Knox around if you don't keep chickens.

As an aside I remember back in the day there was a rumor going around that it made your fingernails stronger and my mom would drink it in a glass of plain water. Yuck! Don't know that it worked, but that's what the ladies in town said to do.
    Actually that may be kinda sorta true...…..gelatin, both Knox & Jello are or used to be made from the bones, cartilage, collegen from animals, like when you make homemade broth that has cooked for a long time and it will gel when cooled. It is good for your bones & nails.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    Actually that may be kinda sorta true...…..gelatin, both Knox & Jello are or used to be made from the bones, cartilage, collegen from animals, like when you make homemade broth that has cooked for a long time and it will gel when cooled. It is good for your bones & nails.
    Maybe I should try it. My nails are a wreck. Haven't bee to the nail hut for months. It's shut down. Not sure when it'll reopen. Those poor people. I hope they can hang onto their biz. Hard times for so many--as you know.
    St. Michael the Archangel,
    defend us in battle.
    Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
    and do thou,
    O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan,
    and all the evil spirits,
    who prowl about the world
    seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links