No-Till Gardening - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

No-Till Gardening

This is a discussion on No-Till Gardening within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Hemi45 I'm just getting setup with my first stab at gardening. Growing in Summer is a b***h here so I'm trying a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi45 View Post
    I'm just getting setup with my first stab at gardening. Growing in Summer is a b***h here so I'm trying a few H&H resistant plants that come recommended for rookies; eggplant, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, sweet peppers. I have one 4x8 raised bed ready to go and if all goes well I hope to "cage" in a 20x20 area and add a couple larger (concrete block) beds come Fall. This no-till method makes sense and I've seen the Hori tool. I have a scuffle hoe being delivered later this week. Anyone have thoughts on those? Having watched some youtube videos on them - they seem to work similarly and show promise in other areas as well.
    Summer squash is easy to grow but I gave up on it because I was sick & tired of fighting the squash bugs. They really piss me off. I switched to growing Seminole pumpkins, which are a winter type squash. They love the heat & humidy & originated with the Seminole Indians in Florida. Their stems aren't hollow and the bugs don't bother them. They can store in a garage for around a year. They are an amazing plant. The Spanish explorers in Florida were amazed to see them growing in trees. The Indians would kill a tree & let the vines grow up the tree. That is how prolific they can grow.

Mod Squad

Tilling just brings weed seeds to the surface. As long as you never walk where you plant, there's no reason to till.

I also "solarize" my beds. In the early spring, I lightly rake to smooth things out, then either wait for a good rain or just give it a watering with my hose. I then cover the beds with clear sheet plastic. This warms the soil and germinates most of the weed seeds. As the soil drys out, the weed sprouts quickly die in the hot, dry micro climate. I leave the plastic in place until I'm ready to plant, and end up with soil that warms faster than it usually would, and virtually no weeds for the rest of the season.

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links