Still Tasty After All These Years
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Still Tasty After All These Years within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Ever wonder if the freeze-dried foods you bought six or seven years ago are still good? Well, we’ve wondered for a couple years now, if ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Still Tasty After All These Years

Ever wonder if the freeze-dried foods you bought six or seven years ago are still good? Well, we’ve wondered for a couple years now, if our aging freeze-dried food stores are going to be edible if we need to survive on them. My wife pulled a package of 7 y/o Mountain House Turkey Tetrazzini off the shelf… the oldest of our MH meals. It was one package of eight or so with the same 2013 date stamp. We opened it and had it for dinner… only way to know, right? We were really happy to find that it reconstituted in just a few minutes and tasted great. There was no indication at all that it had been stored so long.

We store the meals in sealed plastic containers, on shelves, in a dry and cool part of the basement. Our test helped us have a little more confidence that we can rely on those, and other more recently packaged meals… MH and other manufacturers.

Just thought I’d share the results of our little experiment. And, no, I don’t work for or have any connection what so ever with Mountain House or any other provider of freeze-dried food products.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
    Ever wonder if the freeze-dried foods you bought six or seven years ago are still good? Well, we’ve wondered for a couple years now, if our aging freeze-dried food stores are going to be edible if we need to survive on them. My wife pulled a package of 7 y/o Mountain House Turkey Tetrazzini off the shelf… the oldest of our MH meals. It was one package of eight or so with the same 2013 date stamp. We opened it and had it for dinner… only way to know, right? We were really happy to find that it reconstituted in just a few minutes and tasted great. There was no indication at all that it had been stored so long.

We store the meals in sealed plastic containers, on shelves, in a dry and cool part of the basement. Our test helped us have a little more confidence that we can rely on those, and other more recently packaged meals… MH and other manufacturers.

Just thought I’d share the results of our little experiment. And, no, I don’t work for or have any connection what so ever with Mountain House or any other provider of freeze-dried food products.
    @pakrat great to hear your storage is working out for you! Thanks for sharing the results of your experiment/experience. Did your wife have you eat first before she tried it? LOL

Thanks for the taste test.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Kudos for taking one for the team.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    Hidden Content . Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

The Good Cop

Yesterday the wife was cleaning out the under counter kitchen cabinets and found a box of Orville Rickenbacker microwave popcorn with a Best By date in 2011.
    I was going to try it, but then decided it just wasn't worth any potential side effects.
    SOCOM42 and 65mustang like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Yesterday the wife was cleaning out the under counter kitchen cabinets and found a box of Orville Rickenbacker microwave popcorn with a Best By date in 2011.
    I was going to try it, but then decided it just wasn't worth any potential side effects.
    Probably would have been okay; there's no actual food product in it.
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Probably would have been okay; there's no actual food product in it.
    i was concerned that the oil might be rancid.
    It probably was 6 months after purchase, anyway.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Excellent @pakrat

We are all learning how well our preparations are doing!
    65mustang likes this.

That's great to hear!
    65mustang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Good, don't, I did try some that was out of date by 3 years, was rancid.
    inceptor likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links