Lost my job - Have idea about cheap water storage - need input
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Lost my job - Have idea about cheap water storage - need input within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hi, all. Glad to find this forum. I recently lost my job and I want to store water on the cheap, (if possible) for drinking, ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Lost my job - Have idea about cheap water storage - need input

Hi, all. Glad to find this forum.

I recently lost my job and I want to store water on the cheap, (if possible) for drinking, cooking, cleaning and hygiene. I'm not worried about space as I have plenty in my basement.

Question 1: I have about 20-30 cat litter buckets with locking lids (Tidy Cats, yellow #5 PP plastic) and was wondering what your thoughts are on using these for water storage for the short term (no more than 1 year)?

Question 2: Is chlorinated city water good enough to store as-is since it's chlorinated, or does it need further treatment?

I have about 9-months to 1 year worth of most preps but sadly water is one prep I dropped the ball on (and I feel ashamed to even say it).

Thanks for reading and responding. Please be gentle
    sjmartinez likes this.

Is the cat litter scented?

Quote Originally Posted by esmok View Post
    Hi, all. Glad to find this forum.

I recently lost my job and I want to store water on the cheap, (if possible) for drinking, cooking, cleaning and hygiene. I'm not worried about space as I have plenty in my basement.

Question 1: I have about 20-30 cat litter buckets with locking lids (Tidy Cats, yellow #5 PP plastic) and was wondering what your thoughts are on using these for water storage for the short term (no more than 1 year)?

No. No. No. No. No. No.

Kitty litter buckets aren't food grade. You're storing the liquid of life... why mess it up with chemicals leaching from the container?

No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

I know it's gonna hurt, but buy containers designed for storing water. Your life is worth that much, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by esmok View Post
    : Is chlorinated city water good enough to store as-is since it's chlorinated, or does it need further treatment?

I have about 9-months to 1 year worth of most preps but sadly water is one prep I dropped the ball on (and I feel ashamed to even say it).

Thanks for reading and responding. Please be gentle

A bit of bleach should be all you'll need.
    bigwheel and sjmartinez like this.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    No. No. No. No. No. No.

Kitty litter buckets aren't food grade. You're storing the liquid of life... why mess it up with chemicals leaching from the container?

I know it's gonna hurt, but buy containers designed for storing water. Your life is worth that much, isn't it?

A bit of bleach should be all you'll need.
    If the kitty litter wasn't scented, he could use those buckets in combination with mylar bags to store food, though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Is the cat litter scented?
    Not sure, but I think it was. Not my buckets, got from my neighbor. Will have to look at the buckets tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    No. No. No. No. No. No.

I get it. I think it needs to be #2 HDPE plastic.

Still thinking about storing water in these kitty litter buckets for use as non-food needs, though, to save money on proper containers.

Any thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    If the kitty litter wasn't scented, he could use those buckets in combination with mylar bags to store food, though, right?
    Sure. I do the same thing.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.

Food grade containers can be had cheap/free. 5-gal pickle buckets and plastic drums of various sizes.

11 drops of bleach / gallon of water will kill any nasties if water is free of debris.
    Slippy likes this.

The bakery at my local WalMart used to give away their empty icing buckets for free, but now charge a whopping dollar. Not a bad price nonetheless.

Sammich shops also give away empty buckets for free. I've heard Firehouse Subs does merrily but I don't have any experience with them as there's none around me.

Pickle buckets will have a strong odor too them. I've never gotten one, so I don't know what it would take to get rid of that odor. But the WalMart buckets are usually cake icing, so they smell damned nice.

Start making the rounds of the local restaurants, at least the ones that are still open for take-outs. You might have to do some dumpster-diving. I've scrounged a couple dozen empty 3-gallon frying oil jugs from behind a local chinese joint just sitting by the dumpster. Bring 'em home and wash 'em out.

Use only food safe containers, period. For what it is worth: I store 260 gallons of city water
    (already chlorinated) but I add 1/2 the normal recommended chlorine bleach (so, 4 drops of liquid
    household chlorine bleach (5 to 6% sodium hypochlorite) for every one gallon of water) to the water
    on a yearly basis. After 3 years I use the water for other purposes and sanitize the tank and start
    over again. This is due to temperature in AZ and I will not take a chance of anything growing in the
    water. Obviously there is a strong odor of bleach in the water. During the reuse of the water, I
    transfer it to outdoor tubs, where it "off gases" the chlorine in about 2-3 days and then reuse the
    water in my garden. So, if I needed to use the water, it might take 2-3 days to get rid of the strong
    smell/taste. Pouring the water back and forth from one bucket to another can speed up the process
    of of gasing, and I intend to run the water thru a Berkley after the smell is gone.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

As far as I know, #5 pp is a food grade plastic that is commonly used to store all kinds of foods that are in direct contact with it.

Raise the limits.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links