Lost my job - Have idea about cheap water storage - need input - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Lost my job - Have idea about cheap water storage - need input

This is a discussion on Lost my job - Have idea about cheap water storage - need input within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by esmok I agree. This is what I intend to do with these buckets now that I have found #2 HDPE buckets (but ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Lost my job - Have idea about cheap water storage - need input

Quote Originally Posted by esmok View Post
    I agree. This is what I intend to do with these buckets now that I have found #2 HDPE buckets (but need a lot more). Putting out SHTF fires is also a good reason to store water that you don't intend to drink.

What do you mean by "Raise the limits"?
    Now that you have more suitable containers for potable water I'd certainly use those instead. Raise the limits is just an auto attached signature line, goes with the name.

Raise the limits.
    esmok likes this.

Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about your job. I hope something turns up that'll work out well for you. I think it's awesome that you're using this time to do something as useful as preparing. I've talked to people who told me they didn't have any money to prepare and I tried to explain that preparedness isn't always about money. It can be skills you pick up online, or just doing what you can on the cheap even if it's just some extra bags of rice and beans here and there.
    “Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape.” Planet of the Apes, 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    You can make bleach using pool shock.
    Yeah, I know, but pool shock is too much of an upfront cost, especially given the amount I need. I need to watch my expenditure. I do understand that pool shock is better since you only make enough bleach that you need so you can store it much longer than bleach, but unfortunately I can't prep for everything at this juncture.

But I found out that concentrated bleach is ok for water treatment - at 5 gallons you would use 30 drops instead of 40 drops. In my case, I will go with the previous suggestion to use half since I'm using chlorinated water. So 15 drops per 5 gallons.
    bigwheel likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post

(OH and after this Shit Has Been Cleaned Off of The Fan, don't go back to your old ways of NOT being prepared! Promise me! )
    I'll be honest, I never did stock water, I'm guilty.

But I did stock food and other supplies. But times have been rough for me the past 5-6 years and I actually ate about half or more of my preps to save money. I don't feel bad about it because I have heard stories about people who had to throw preps away because they got too old. What a waste of money and time.

I have a hard and fast rule I follow, especially for food: I don't stock anything I wouldn't eat presently so that I can rotate my preps to keep them as fresh as possible. Probably about 50-60% of what I buy goes into my stash and I use the old stuff.

I can tell you that 5 year old soup and canned veggies don't taste any different than the day they are bought. I can't speak to nutrition level but if taste is any indicator, I would say little, if any, nutrition was lost.

Right now, given my limited funds and limited stocked water, I am not buying any food that requires water to prepare. Everything I buy needs to be able to be eaten right out of the package/can, like non-condensed soup, canned veggies, etc. I'm not stocking any meat or anything else that needs refrigerated or frozen either. I don't have a generator.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't think this pandemic is going to go away any time soon and I believe it will trigger other "events" that will push America and the rest of the "civilized world" into a new world.

Prepare to be chipped. They have "good" excuse to implement it now, even in America. And most Americans will welcome it because they will want peace and "a better way".

I for one will not accept the chip. They will have to just kill me and I'm quite certain they will.
    Slippy likes this.

Yeah, I know, but pool shock is too much of an upfront cost, especially given the amount I need. I need to watch my expenditure. I do understand that pool shock is better since you only make enough bleach that you need so you can store it much longer than bleach, but unfortunately I can't prep for everything at this juncture.

But I found out that concentrated bleach is ok for water treatment - at 5 gallons you would use 30 drops instead of 40 drops. In my case, I will go with the previous suggestion to use half since I'm using chlorinated water. So 15 drops per 5 gallons.
    You can buy pool shock at WallyWorld for lunch money.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

You can buy pool shock at WallyWorld for lunch money.
    Didn't know that. I paid 1.39 for a gallon of bleach.

I rarely spend more than $1 for lunch, BTW

Didn't know that. I paid 1.39 for a gallon of bleach.

I rarely spend more than $1 for lunch, BTW
    Bleach loses it's potency over time.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Bleach loses it's potency over time.
    I understand that, but as I said before, at this juncture I can't prep that way. I have a limited budget.

So if buying a gallon of bleach is going to get me what I need for 6 months to a year for less than pool shock which will last me years and years, I unfortunately have to go with bleach.

It's like the old lady on a fixed income who pays $1 for 1 pound of sugar at Dollar Tree, yet she could get 4 pounds for $2 at Kroger.

She does it because all she has left is $2.00. Getting the $1 sugar allows her to have sugar for the rest of the month plus $1.00 to spend a can of beans.
    Last edited by esmok; 03-21-2020 at 08:20 AM.

Hi, all. Glad to find this forum.

I recently lost my job and I want to store water on the cheap, (if possible) for drinking, cooking, cleaning and hygiene. I'm not worried about space as I have plenty in my basement.

Question 1: I have about 20-30 cat litter buckets with locking lids (Tidy Cats, yellow #5 PP plastic) and was wondering what your thoughts are on using these for water storage for the short term (no more than 1 year)?

Question 2: Is chlorinated city water good enough to store as-is since it's chlorinated, or does it need further treatment?

I have about 9-months to 1 year worth of most preps but sadly water is one prep I dropped the ball on (and I feel ashamed to even say it).

Thanks for reading and responding. Please be gentle
    In a survival situation you must throw conventional thinking out the window and think outside the box. For example, use that water for anything else BUT drinking. Save drinking water into food grade containers. Also, you can filter your drinking water from water that is otherwise not suitable for drinking. Look up filtering systems that will work in your situation.

Trying to figure out why chlorinated water needs chlorinating. The water coming out of my faucet has plenty enough to not need any and has too much to be good for plants. In fact from what I heard chlorine can only exist in water as a gas..so to get chlorine out it needs to be exposed to air with a bubbler. You might wasnt to snag a little test kit to check it. We do that on the cement pond. I have 10 k gallons but cant drink it because of pool stablizer in it. Pretty sad huh? Only way to get it out is distillation I think. Any clues on that? Know you cant filter it out supposedly. I dont know how long it would take to kill a person to drink it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links