Lost my job - Have idea about cheap water storage - need input - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Lost my job - Have idea about cheap water storage - need input

This is a discussion on Lost my job - Have idea about cheap water storage - need input within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; id use the kitty litter jugs for non food situation's only.like flushing the tolit if the water shoul get turned off for what ecer reason.to ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Lost my job - Have idea about cheap water storage - need input

id use the kitty litter jugs for non food situation's only.like flushing the tolit if the water shoul get turned off for what ecer reason.to keeping house plants watered.on account the litter can't be cleaned out completely.including what leached into the plastic.
    MountainGirl and Annie like this.

dup post
    Last edited by esmok; 03-20-2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: dup post

Went around to all grocery stores that have a bakery and/or deli in my area. Most told me they were instructed not to give such things away to customers right now, others just claimed they didn't have any.

So I went to a local bakery thinking I may hit the jackpot there (they are a rather large bakery). I almost left empty-handed but I ended-up with three 3-gallon buckets and two 5-gallon buckets with lids. All food grade that either stored icing or high fructose corn syrup. They are all #2 HDPE

They do not usually have as many as I thought they would because they actually reuse/repurpose them.

But they told me to go back next Friday at around the same time and they would hold more back for me in the meantime, but didn't tell me how many I could expect. I didn't ask as I didn't want to come across more pushy than I already was. lol These guys are underpaid bakery workers so you can't push them too hard or you get no cooperation from them.

I also tried a specialty candy manufacturer on the way back but they were closed. Will try again.

I will go back to the bakery next Friday and hope they have more buckets and I'll keep trying the candy maker.

I will try to brainstorm other places that might be a source of good buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by jimLE View Post
    id use the kitty litter jugs for non food situations only.like flushing the tolit if the water shoul get turned off for what ecer reason.to keeping house plants watered.on account the litter can't be cleaned out completely.including what leached into the plastic.
    I agree. This is what I intend to do with these buckets now that I have found #2 HDPE buckets (but need a lot more). Putting out SHTF fires is also a good reason to store water that you don't intend to drink.

However I will still clean them very well just as if I would be using the water for food. Because, to be 100% honest, I probably would drink it if I went for days without a drop of drinkable water.

Even though #5 PP is supposed to be "food grade", they still may not be totally safe considering what was stored int them.

Quote Originally Posted by Limit Killer View Post
    As far as I know, #5 pp is a food grade plastic that is commonly used to store all kinds of foods that are in direct contact with it.

Raise the limits.
    Yes, #5 PP is considered food grade. Rubbermaid food storage containers that are freezer and microwave safe are #5 PP.

What do you mean by "Raise the limits"?
    stevekozak likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by esmok View Post
    .......so i went to a local bakery thinking i may hit the jackpot there (they are a rather large bakery). I almost left empty-handed but i ended-up with three 3-gallon buckets and two 5-gallon buckets with lids. All food grade that either stored icing or high fructose corn syrup. They are all #2 hdpe...........
    Score!
    esmok likes this.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Glad you got a start on the containers. Besides bakeries check places with delis or fast food.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Besides bakeries check places with delis or fast food.
    Had so much to do today and decided to skip those since many are closed and the ones that are open looked very busy. Also because the only ones open seem to be the national chains and didn't want to waste my time with them since some of the grocery stores (also national chains) had a policy not to let people have the the buckets. But I may try later or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    (so, 4 drops of liquid
    household chlorine bleach (5 to 6% sodium hypochlorite) for every one gallon of water)
    Unfortunately, the only bleach I have is the concentrated kind that contains not only Sodium Hypochlorite but also Sodium Hydroxide.

Anyone know if the concentrated bleach is OK to use for water treatment? It does show 6% Sodium Hypocholorite but does not say how much Sodium Hydroxide. It just mentions it being an ingredient on the label but not on the ingredient list.

Bleach of all types are pretty much gone everywhere in my area. Been about a week now.

@esmok

Good on you for taking some action.

I may not have read every post from this thread and if I'm off base, my apologies.

Water for drinking is damn necessary, so continue to do what you are doing to make sure you have the H2O requirements for you/familhy.

But don't forget water for hygiene, which also includes flushing toilets. Cleaning dishes, clothes and your person etc is important but making sure you can flush you toilets is also damn huge!

Get some non food grade containers just for flushing and you'll have a piece of mind that you can at least keep your waste system somewhat in control.

(OH and after this Shit Has Been Cleaned Off of The Fan, don't go back to your old ways of NOT being prepared! Promise me! )

Slippy
    MountainGirl likes this.

Unfortunately, the only bleach I have is the concentrated kind that contains not only Sodium Hypochlorite but also Sodium Hydroxide.

Anyone know if the concentrated bleach is OK to use for water treatment? It does show 6% Sodium Hypocholorite but does not say how much Sodium Hydroxide. It just mentions it being an ingredient on the label but not on the ingredient list.

Bleach of all types are pretty much gone everywhere in my area. Been about a week now.
    You can make bleach using pool shock.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Went around to all grocery stores that have a bakery and/or deli in my area. Most told me they were instructed not to give such things away to customers right now, others just claimed they didn't have any.

So I went to a local bakery thinking I may hit the jackpot there (they are a rather large bakery). I almost left empty-handed but I ended-up with three 3-gallon buckets and two 5-gallon buckets with lids. All food grade that either stored icing or high fructose corn syrup. They are all #2 HDPE

They do not usually have as many as I thought they would because they actually reuse/repurpose them.

But they told me to go back next Friday at around the same time and they would hold more back for me in the meantime, but didn't tell me how many I could expect. I didn't ask as I didn't want to come across more pushy than I already was. lol These guys are underpaid bakery workers so you can't push them too hard or you get no cooperation from them.

I also tried a specialty candy manufacturer on the way back but they were closed. Will try again.

I will go back to the bakery next Friday and hope they have more buckets and I'll keep trying the candy maker.

I will try to brainstorm other places that might be a source of good buckets.

I agree. This is what I intend to do with these buckets now that I have found #2 HDPE buckets (but need a lot more). Putting out SHTF fires is also a good reason to store water that you don't intend to drink.

However I will still clean them very well just as if I would be using the water for food. Because, to be 100% honest, I probably would drink it if I went for days without a drop of drinkable water.

Even though #5 PP is supposed to be "food grade", they still may not be totally safe considering what was stored int them.

Yes, #5 PP is considered food grade. Rubbermaid food storage containers that are freezer and microwave safe are #5 PP.

What do you mean by "Raise the limits"?
    Good job!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links