Ain't Nobody Talkin' 'Bout Canning! What be wrong with you knuckleheads? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ain't Nobody Talkin' 'Bout Canning! What be wrong with you knuckleheads?

This is a discussion on Ain't Nobody Talkin' 'Bout Canning! What be wrong with you knuckleheads? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by dwight55 Let me give you something to think about, charito, . . . about canning that is. First thing: people have done ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Ain't Nobody Talkin' 'Bout Canning! What be wrong with you knuckleheads?

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    Let me give you something to think about, charito, . . . about canning that is.

First thing: people have done it in my family for well over 120 years, . . . none of us died of it yet, . . . or even got sick.

Second: all you need is first, . . . a "pressure canner", . . . not a pressure cooker, . . . pressure canner. At flea markets, . . . yard sales, . . . I've picked em up for $3.00, . . . $25 at auction houses. And if you shop a bit, . . . want a "brand new" one, . . .

This is one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Presto-0178...sAAOSwbDpeaQPR

I have one exactly like it, . . . and two others, each a bit different.

Meat you simply cut up, . . . get rid of the bones, . . . as well as the "extra" fat, . . . add water up to the shoulder of the jar, . . . put a lid on it, . . . in the canner for 75 minutes on pints, . . . 90 minutes for quarts.

Third: when it is done, you have 8 pints or 9 quarts of food you know doesn't have any phenoshmushkatoonie** for flavor, . . . achrothrobnokosis** as a preservative, or any red # 487** food coloring to enhance the appearance.

We all were a little apprehensive the first few times, . . . but once you get in the program and get to doing it together with the wife and kids, . . . it turns out to be a lot of fun and family team creativeness when you see those beautiful jars of food you KNOW IS GOOD, . . . and YOU DID IT.

May God bless,
    Dwight

**(made up words . . . making fun of the labels on most foods.....)
    What Dwight said ^^^^^

I learned canning from my Mother, who learned from my Grandmother......

For canners I like the "jiggler" regulated type. Very simple and only thing to worry about is the gasket going bad, but the gaskets are cheap/last years and I keep a stock of replacements handy. The ones with dial gauges need calibration and have more parts to fail.

I have old USA made Mirrormatic canners from small "cookers" up to 22-qt. Two canners are handy as you can start a 2nd batch of jars while the first canner is cooling. I'm still using jars my Grandmother/Mother used. You can find jars, and sometimes canners, cheap at tag sales, then just buy new rings/lids.

Other things that are needed are: tongs to lift hot jars, a funnel to fill jars, and a magnet to lift hot lids that have been sterilized in boiling water.

A candy thermometer is useful if you are canning high acid things like pickles or kraut that do not need to be pressure canned or even boiled. You get nice crispy pickles or kraut that way.

High acid foods (fruits, high acid tomatoes) can be canned in a water bath canner, but you have to be sure of the acidity and/or add an acid like lemon juice/vinegar, or ascorbic/citric acids.

Get a good canning/food preservation book and read it well before purchasing supplies or beginning canning.

A few good links:

https://nchfp.uga.edu/

Pick your own Farms in the U.S, Canada, Britain and other countries - Find a farm near you!
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 03-18-2020 at 10:08 AM.

Well, . . . just to give you something to read thru, . . . not really long at all, . . . and should help allay some of the fears:

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/...iding-botulism
    I know that, but worry anyway. I mean, I don't worry so much that we don't eat it. It's more of a little nagging worry when I open the jar. It keeps me on the straight and narrow when I can, though. And I'm terrified to try pressure canning, even though I bought a pressure canner maybe four or five years ago.
    dwight55 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    I know that, but worry anyway. I mean, I don't worry so much that we don't eat it. It's more of a little nagging worry when I open the jar. It keeps me on the straight and narrow when I can, though. And I'm terrified to try pressure canning, even though I bought a pressure canner maybe four or five years ago.
    You're probably right, being "terrified" is a dang good reason not to do something!

I'm sure the boys who charged the beaches of Normandy on June 6, 1944 weren't scared at all...

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Boiling for 15 minutes denatures the botulin toxin............
    dwight55 and JustAnotherNut like this.

Cracked open some apple butter we made this past fall (Winesap apples are so underrated). I have canned my whole life, I wonder if this crisis will lead to an increased interest in this and prepared living? It seems like we have seen an upswing in new users lately.
    Annie and Joe like this.
    Romans 10:9 KJV
    That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Have not canned since he fall, but I have all my stuff ready for the produce from the garden. It is a good idea about he fruits and veggies that are at the stores now, just may have to do some canning while quarantined. Y'all stay safe out there!
    When seconds count, help is minutes away...Support the Second Amendment!

Dehydrating is another option to preserve foods. I've even dried meat, though for safety sake I cut off all fat, cooked it, then rinsed again for any sneaky fats. Even hamburger (gravel), thoroughly cooked then rinsed well. I haven't tried any of it yet, but it is there. I'm sure the 'quality' of it will be less than desired, but it is a protein source and will help to fill an empty stomach in hard times.
    MountainGirl likes this.

We've been canning beef on a regular basis the last two months or so. Ever since Dwight had that post on using his K-Bar while canning some and shared his instructions. We have a roast and some stew meat we're going to do this weekend to add to our stash.
    Annie, Chiefster23 and dwight55 like this.

Super Moderator

I'm hunkered down and staying away from people. I don't need to go out to the supermarket. I think I've got a mild version of this covid 19 thing. I can feel it in my lungs, I've got the dry cough. But so far so good. I'm not down for the count. No fever. It started with a runny nose, aches and pains in the knees.

So we're in the shtf food storage eating mode at Casa Annie's, not the shtf canning mode just now. Been baking bread daily and making muffins for granny. Making prepper stews, and beanies weenies ( @bigwheel 's special). All sort of things. I am happy to be blessed with a decent pantry.

Hopefully if we get a break this summer I'll be back up to speed and canning away, but this virus is no joke. I think things are going to get worse. The economy is going down the tubes. Fast and pray. I'm doing one meal a day (think it strengthens the body), and no wine except on Sunday.

We need to start our seedlings this week. It's probably gonna be very important to get the garden going right this year.
    Last edited by Annie; 03-19-2020 at 04:14 AM.
    “Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape.” Planet of the Apes, 1968

Well, . . . just to give you something to read thru, . . . not really long at all, . . . and should help allay some of the fears:

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/...iding-botulism

In the South, . . . kraut, . . . pickled corn, . . . pickled beans, . . . and pickled meats (including pickled pigs feet) used to be real staples of their diets. Add some hog back fat and a pone of corn bread, . . . a jar of granny's jam and some home made butter, . . . y'all just sat down to Sunday dinner.

And, . . . "No" . . . we ain't all wrinkley from the pickled stuff.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    I can do pickles! And, jam!
    Annie likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links