Storing Oils
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Storing Oils

This is a discussion on Storing Oils within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I worry about oils or other fats (lard, for example) going rancid during storage. We use oil at such a slow rate that even with ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Storing Oils

Storing Oils

I worry about oils or other fats (lard, for example) going rancid during storage. We use oil at such a slow rate that even with stock rotation, I occasionally have some go bad. And it's not like I'm storing huge amounts at this point. I usually buy the double pack of olive oil at Costco and rarely have more than 2 unopened bottles on hand, I sometimes have one of them go bad before I get around to using it.

Which brings up the point, if I can't store large quantities of oil, how am I going to provide enough fats in an emergency situation. My only idea at this point is to cultivate nut trees and an oil crop like black sunflower seeds. This is really bothering me.
    Denton likes this.

i brought a 18-L METAL can of olive oil from my good friend, whose family owns an orchard in Greece. Best of the best olive oil.

Metal can stays in 50 oF basement 24/7, gets opened only to siphon off 3-4L at a time. Winter it gets colder and the oil solidifies.

It's still fine oil. About 4-L left. I don't use it for cooking fat much, instead: salads, pesto, spaghetti sauce, etc.........

Name:  olive.png
Views: 72
Size:  20.6 KB

You need to exclude oxygen, heat, and light from fats/oils.

People say frozen bacon goes bad, BS!!! Vacuum sealed it's fine for a year or two, at least.

Rendered fat also stores well. Pemmican has been dug up from the 1800s still edible

One other thought, render the fat from cooking, and/or raise some hogs.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 01-22-2020 at 12:31 PM.

I buy 3 or 4 gallons of veggie oil and store to expiry date.

It is marked as expired and put into a shed to be use as a last resort lamp oil.

The alternate is using it in a drip heater.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    i brought a 18-L METAL can of olive oil from my good friend, whose family owns an orchard in Greece. Best of the best olive oil.

Metal can stays in 50 oF basement 24/7, gets opened only to siphon off 3-4L at a time. Winter it gets colder and the oil solidifies.

It's still fine oil. About 4-L left. I don't use it for cooking fat much, instead: salads, pesto, spaghetti sauce, etc.........

Name:  olive.png
Views: 72
Size:  20.6 KB

You need to exclude oxygen, heat, and light from fats/oils.

People say frozen bacon goes bad, BS!!! Vacuum sealed it's fine for a year or two, at least.

Rendered fat also stores well. Pemmican has been dug up from the 1800s still edible

One other thought, render the fat from cooking, and/or raise some hogs.
    Good to know. As far as rendering cooking fat, this is one of the reasons I'm worried about having enough fat. I have freeze dried meat stored, but as far as fresh meat, not too many sources of meat wandering around out western Washington neighborhood. I would assume the four resident deer would disappear rather quickly, and how much fat can a person expect to find on a deer? I have now idea, never having butchered one. We have a lot of rabbits, but wild rabbits are so lean that I hear you need supplemental fat if they're your only meat source. I can't remember where I read that, so I'm not sure how true it is.

There area lot of deer in the area around out place in eastern Washington, but everyone over there is a hunter so I don't think we could count on them being around for long either.

Hogs aren't an option (or any livestock at this point in time).

Salmon?
    MountainGirl and paulag1955 like this.

Salmon?
    I have a LOT of these on hand.
    Use by date is still another year out -
    but I'd have no prob eating them after that.
    2.5oz pkg
    Calories 70
    Protein: 13g
    Fat: 2g
    Cholesterol: 25mg
    Sodium: 230mg

Name:  salmon.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  41.0 KB
    Ready. You?

Isnt there olive oil from the Pharoahs that was reported good?
    I have also heard of "rabbit starvation" or something, Due to all protein and no fat? Phuey..I would think you would be ok.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Canned tuna in oil. Never seen that go bad.

Anybody canned oils?

Canned tuna in oil. Never seen that go bad.

Anybody canned oils?
    Interesting idea Trapper! I wonder how the oil would affect the rubber (or rubber based?) lining on canning jar lids? If it softens the rubber it could cause a break in the seal. But who knows, it might work.

We don't have a ton of oil in our stores, we rotate out some olive oil and are trying not to use too much veggie oil. Bacon grease is stored in the freezer and we rotate it out pretty quickly.

A number of years ago we decided to not worry about storing oils due to the possibility of going rancid so went with some powdered butter in #10 cans with a 10 year shelf life.
    1skrewsloose likes this.

According to FEMA, stored properly vegetable oils can be stored indefinitely https://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/f%26web.pdf

Not sure how they define "properly", but unopened and at about 60-65 degrees in the dark it's years past the 'best by" date in my experience anyway.
    Last edited by Crunch; 01-22-2020 at 04:04 PM. Reason: expiration to 'best by'

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links