Storing Oils - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Storing Oils

This is a discussion on Storing Oils within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Slippy Interesting idea Trapper! I wonder how the oil would affect the rubber (or rubber based?) lining on canning jar lids? If ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Storing Oils

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Interesting idea Trapper! I wonder how the oil would affect the rubber (or rubber based?) lining on canning jar lids? If it softens the rubber it could cause a break in the seal. But who knows, it might work.

We don't have a ton of oil in our stores, we rotate out some olive oil and are trying not to use too much veggie oil. Bacon grease is stored in the freezer and we rotate it out pretty quickly.

A number of years ago we decided to not worry about storing oils due to the possibility of going rancid so went with some powdered butter in #10 cans with a 10 year shelf life.
    Slippy we up here feed some of the birdies come winter. They eat bugs come springtime/summer........

They like suet. I save up bacon fat, in jars. Come winter I take used deli plastics, the round ones that hold just a bite, fill with sunflower seed then pour in melted bacon fat. Let it cool into a lump, and better than the suet globs they sell you.

I didn't know oils had expiration dates, but I think that's because USDA now requires dates on just about everything. Most things are still good long past those dates, though quality or nutrients may decline over time. I do have several bottles of both olive & vegetable oils but is within rotation, as is all my foods. Also currently have more bacon grease than I'll be able to use anytime soon, but the extra goes in the fridge.

Much of my home canned meats & bacon & broths have atleast some fat in the jars and as long as they are sealed I don't see how it can go bad. I do wonder about vacuum sealing that extra bacon fat in jars and if it would work?

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    I worry about oils or other fats (lard, for example) going rancid during storage. We use oil at such a slow rate that even with stock rotation, I occasionally have some go bad. And it's not like I'm storing huge amounts at this point. I usually buy the double pack of olive oil at Costco and rarely have more than 2 unopened bottles on hand, I sometimes have one of them go bad before I get around to using it.

Which brings up the point, if I can't store large quantities of oil, how am I going to provide enough fats in an emergency situation. My only idea at this point is to cultivate nut trees and an oil crop like black sunflower seeds. This is really bothering me.
    Disclaimer: We live in an area with so many beef cattle and dairy cows that finding a supply of animal fat has not even crossed our minds as an issue.

But my first thought on reading your OP was why don't you figure out how to store peanuts longer term? I bought the mill plates for our Country Living grain mill to be able to make peanut butter with it. (Because living in an apocalyptic world without peanut butter is unacceptable.)

https://store.countrylivinggrainmill...lus-accessory/

Grinding up about a quart of peanut butter yields about 2-3 tablespoons of the best peanut oil you could ever want after letting it sit for a few days. It just floats right to the top. That is more than enough for 2-3 batches of the best popcorn you have ever tasted.

Just a thought and I may be completely off base. As I said initially, we are surrounded in animal fat, so it is not something that has ever crossed my mind.
    paulag1955 and hawgrider like this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    I have a LOT of these on hand.
    Use by date is still another year out -
    but I'd have no prob eating them after that.
    2.5oz pkg
    Calories 70
    Protein: 13g
    Fat: 2g
    Cholesterol: 25mg
    Sodium: 230mg

Attachment 102991
    I am going to store some of this, although I would have to gag it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Canned tuna in oil. Never seen that go bad.

Anybody canned oils?
    This is a great idea, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    According to FEMA, stored properly vegetable oils can be stored indefinitely https://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/f%26web.pdf

Not sure how they define "properly", but unopened and at about 60-65 degrees in the dark it's years past the 'best by" date in my experience anyway.
    My experience is different. I've opened olive oil from my stores that tasted even worse than olive oil usually tastes. I had to throw it out.
    1skrewsloose likes this.

@Inor Surrounded by animal fat seems like a good situation to be in.

We don't use much oil so I rotate out as needed. I do store a couple of cans of Lard as I understand it has a longer shelf life. I live in Texas so their will be plenty of critters, at least in the beginning stages, to get fat from.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I should have added that I buy two gallons a year so that there always new oil in the loop.

The oldest is obviously used first up to the expiry date.

Right now I have coconut oil that is like a brick due to the fact it is stored @ 25 degrees at this time.

Put the quart+ jar on the hot air register to soften it up.

Has been 2-4 degrees F here for the last 5 days every morning, sick of it.

I had a gallon can of Bertolli olive, it was a year past expiration, opened the can for the first time, was rancid!
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 01-23-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    I am going to store some of this, although I would have to gag it down.
    If you're hungry enough, it'll taste delicious.
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links