Rationing

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rationing

This is a discussion on Rationing within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Depending on what & how it comes down, the idea of rationing food, water, tp, ammunition, etc may become a reality we have to face. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Rationing

Rationing

Depending on what & how it comes down, the idea of rationing food, water, tp, ammunition, etc may become a reality we have to face. Even if you have an extensive stockpile. Personally I think it's dangerous to think you have more than enough and wouldn't have to worry about it. But maybe that's just me.

Water would probably be the biggest concern, especially those of us dependent on the city water system but it's also possible for those on private wells. Just because you have your own well, doesn't mean you're the only one using that water. More than likely your neighbors and others have wells that are pulling from the same underground source, and wells do go dry. Not sure, but could also get contaminated in some way. Same goes for rain water.

There are a few ways of saving water, one of which is for cooking. Most canned foods have some type of liquid or water that can be either saved or used for other cooking or rehydrating dried foods. And along this same line, if you normally use 2 cans of green beans, to feed your family, only use one and add some dried green beans to make use of the water and save the other can for another meal. Or just throw cans of veggies water & all into the pot, add rice or pasta to soak it up. These suggestions aren't much but may help to keep more drinking water available.

As for food? Do you currently eat the daily recommended servings of each food type and serving sizes??? Probably not since most of us eat a lot more than we really need.....so when SHTF, you'd think you were already rationing.

With your supplies, how soon and how much would you be willing or need to start rationing? How would it look like?

Here, I'd say I have enough food stuff for 3 adults for 3 or 4 months, but only enough drinking water for about 10 days. With a 200 gallon water tank (currently less than half full) and several buckets for rain water that would be used for the animals and washing/cleaning......or us with purification if needed. And I would start rationing right off the bat, and by that I mean there would be a one pot meal prepared per day and any leftovers would provide an additional meal the next day (that days one pot meal, then whatever leftovers from the previous day). Maybe once a week have a 3 or 4 course meal. And at all times, meat would not be the main ingredient. It would be part of the meal, just in smaller amounts. (remember, 2 or 3 oz of protein is about the size of a deck of cards and most people eat atleast twice that much) And even though I have chickens, I wouldn't butcher right away.....unless absolutely necessary.

If i'm lucky I could stretch my food for another month, maybe 2 and a bountiful garden would extend that even further.....but water only a day or two, unless it rained heavily with no type of contamination.
    San, Slippy, Annie and 2 others like this.

Sounds like you need to up your water harvesting / purification / storage game.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Sounds like you need to up your water harvesting / purification / storage game.
    yep, that's the biggy for me. There's not even a water source, lake, river, stream or pond nearby. Other than a large runoff pond about a mile away, where everyone else will be taking from and/or contaminating in the process.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Look into rain capture.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.

Look into rain capture.
    yes, that's what the buckets and tank is for. Plus I'd need more as well. Then have to hope there is no type of contamination like acid rain or nuke/radiation fall out or whatever else

Buckets and tanks are for storage. How will you collect water?
    Annie likes this.

Buckets and tanks are for storage. How will you collect water?
    So that's what the buckets are for....then I dump them into the tank. LOL

I need to figure out a makeshift gutter system on my coop to the tank. It would be great if I could get another and/or bigger tank to catch the house gutters, but is out of range at the moment

If you have the funds, put in a cistern feed from roof run off. Renewable resource and being underground it’s not obvious what you have to prying eyes.
    JustAnotherNut and Annie like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Do a bit of research on a "First Flush System" for Rain Catchment.
    JustAnotherNut and Rellgar like this.

Ome thing that bothers me is boredom eating. I really worry I could blow thru my food way too fast.
    Deebo likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links