Rationing - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rationing

This is a discussion on Rationing within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by paraquack Ome thing that bothers me is boredom eating. I really worry I could blow thru my food way too fast. Make ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Rationing

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    Ome thing that bothers me is boredom eating. I really worry I could blow thru my food way too fast.
    Make sure you have plenty of variety of foods and spices/seasonings to start with. Rice & beans are good, but surely not everyday.

My aim is to have similar meals to what we have now. If rationing to make it all last longer, then add more of what you have more of. Like with meat, more specifically beef or pork because I don't have a renewable source for that. I have some put back but it will only go so far. But I do have a garden to grow more veggies. So a rationed meal may include a pint jar of beef cubes with broth, extra veggies and a handful of rice with a different seasoning each time. (Mexican or taco one time, Italian another, Cajun the next). Maybe change out the type of veggies used or even pasta instead of rice. And it's easy to make pasta when your store bought is gone. Flour, egg & water (I think?), mix to dough, roll it out & cut to whatever shape or size, then let it dry. Remember when it cooks, it will puff up. Maybe add a piece of bread & butter.

Since I have chickens and atleast one good broody mama, I do have a renewable source for that and eggs. Also may have to have a meat-less meal now & then just to change things up.

speaking of bread.....something I've done for years when baking homemade bread is to pinch off pieces of dough, roll it out & make a couple of cuts thru it, then fry it in some butter. Lid on while frying to create a mini oven so the center gets cooked. Or you can make Indian fry bread......same thing but different.
    Annie likes this.

Super Moderator

@JustAnotherNut Build a pond. Then Berkey.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

Super Moderator

One thing to keep in mind when rationing food is that most Americans can live off their fat for a long time. Yes, you may get hungry, but the hunger hormones will pass and then your body will be just fine using it's reserves. So unless you're rail thin, you're not gonna starve to death even if you're not feeling fantastic. Like I said, it'll pass and you'll be feeling fine--maybe even better energy-wise than you would have had you eaten earlier. .
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

The title of the thread made me immediately think of the gasoline crisis, I think it was 1974. The Arabs put an oil embargo on America.
    You could only buy gas on certain days of the week, based on your license plate numbers. And then, you were limited to a max of 10 gallons.
    There were long lines at all the stations, sometimes people ran dry waiting in line. Anyone trying to cheat and get gas when it wasn't their day was set upon by others in line.
    It was an ugly time.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    The title of the thread made me immediately think of the gasoline crisis, I think it was 1974. The Arabs put an oil embargo on America.
    You could only buy gas on certain days of the week, based on your license plate numbers. And then, you were limited to a max of 10 gallons.
    There were long lines at all the stations, sometimes people ran dry waiting in line. Anyone trying to cheat and get gas when it wasn't their day was set upon by others in line.
    It was an ugly time.
    Good time for me as a kid...I was 12, and I had a bike so no worries about gas. We girls got to wear pants to school so we'd keep warm and the nuns could keep the furnace low thus saving energy. No uniforms until spring!
    Prepared One likes this.

It was an ugly time.
    I remember those days well, even if I was too young to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    One thing to keep in mind when rationing food is that most Americans can live off their fat for a long time. Yes, you may get hungry, but the hunger hormones will pass and then your body will be just fine using it's reserves. So unless you're rail thin, you're not gonna starve to death even if you're not feeling fantastic. Like I said, it'll pass and you'll be feeling fine--maybe even better energy-wise than you would have had you eaten earlier. .
    I agree up to a point. IF you mean not eating at all, I wouldn't push it past a couple of days at most, before other side effects kick in. When the body is starved, it will eventually start eating itself. Ketosis may be good for burning off fat, but it's not good for brain function.

https://www.sciencealert.com/watch-w...stopped-eating

But things get really dire after 72 hours, when your brain decides it needs more than just ketones to survive. This is when your body starts to break down its own proteins so that it can use their amino acids to form glucose. This means your body literally cannibalises itself and eats away at your muscle tissue just to stay alive.
    If you don't eat at this point, the break-down of your body will continue, and death can occur as little as three weeks after you stop eating - if you don't get sick from a lack of immune system-essential vitamins and minerals first.

And as for that pond...…….I don't really have enough room for a decent sized one and I'm not sure how to keep the water from draining out, without a liner, which I'd rather not use if possible. Though I may need to reconsider that option. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    Ome thing that bothers me is boredom eating. I really worry I could blow thru my food way too fast.
    Wait a minute......I think I had misunderstood what you meant by boredom eating. It's not about the food, is it?......but eating when you're bored?.

Well, SHTF I don't think you'll have time to be bored.

It was an ugly time.
    When considering what may come up in any SHTF, the possibility of having to ration supplies could be a serious one.

I tend to look to history to learn from what has been done......similar to England (& US for that matter) during WW2. There is a video series on YT called 'Wartime Kitchen & Garden' about life in England during the war. I'm sure they glorify it, but it gives an idea of what things were like then and some of the challenges they faced.

I also remember many a story from my mother & others that grew up poor during that time, and what they had to do to survive with little or nothing. Like having to take pancakes with lard for their school lunch, or walking to the dump to scrounge for any food that hadn't been sprayed with a contaminate.

The Good Cop

My wife has a cookbook titled "Cooking On A Ration" from WW2 that she got from her Mother.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links