Need help selecting Cast Iron cookware
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Need help selecting Cast Iron cookware within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; AJ was here....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Need help selecting Cast Iron cookware

A J

AJ was here.
    Last edited by A J; 12-18-2014 at 02:42 PM.
    "Be careful what you post on the net, website owners will undo your edits and restore deleted things to serve THEIR needs and ignore those of you and your family"

"Even after they've banned all your friends, that helped create and moderate their website"

Try some flea markets. I have a few cast iron skillets and a dutch oven that I picked up over time. I seasoned mine by coating the inside with lard and baking at 300 degrees for about two hours then 200 degrees for two hours. Once seasoned they are the best cookware you can get. Nothing sticks. Never put it in the dishwasher.
    "In alcohol's defense, I've done some pretty dumb shit while completely sober too"!

I have an electric smooth top stove (first and last) and I use my cast iron on it all the time. I can't use my pressure canner on it as it is too heavy. I have a two quart Dutch oven I use a great deal. I also have a larger chicken fryer I use even more. We use a cast iron high side skillet for roasting coffee beans. All on the cooktop.
    diamondjim and A J like this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member R.I.P.

Lodge makes the best cast iron dutch ovens because of the lid sealing so well.

A trick to testing used dutch ovens for seal is open, put a burning piece of paper inside, & close the lid. No smoke should escape.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
    Lodge makes the best cast iron dutch ovens because of the lid sealing so well.

A trick to testing used dutch ovens for seal is open, put a burning piece of paper inside, & close the lid. No smoke should escape.
    Bet that goes over real well at garage sales.
    tirednurse and paraquack like this.

A J

Quote Originally Posted by MrsInor View Post
    I have an electric smooth top stove (first and last) and I use my cast iron on it all the time. I can't use my pressure canner on it as it is too heavy. I have a two quart Dutch oven I use a great deal. I also have a larger chicken fryer I use even more. We use a cast iron high side skillet for roasting coffee beans. All on the cooktop.
    So would the normal Lodge 5pc kit be a good start? What additional pieces would YOU want to have?

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L5HS3-Pr.../dp/B004QM8SLG

Thanks,
    AJ
    "Be careful what you post on the net, website owners will undo your edits and restore deleted things to serve THEIR needs and ignore those of you and your family"

"Even after they've banned all your friends, that helped create and moderate their website"

That would be a good start especially for seventy bucks. I do like my chicken fryer. And I would purchase a lid for the smaller skillet. You might want to take a look at their bread pans too. I don't have one - yet.

Quote Originally Posted by A J View Post
    So would the normal Lodge 5pc kit be a good start? What additional pieces would YOU want to have?

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L5HS3-Pr.../dp/B004QM8SLG

Thanks,
    AJ
    Excellent! I was going to suggest buying Lodge from Amazon.

The corn pone pan I have 3 of those.
    Size 8 skillet is the size we use most often. We have the regular and the high side. I have my aunts size 10 skillet. We have the dutch ovens one with a round top and one with the lid especially designed for placing coals on top. I am going to have to try the coffee bean trick (ty MsInor) If I am buying new I go for Lodge.
    For cooking on a campfire you need one of those long sticks .. if I can find a photo I will post it on this topic string.

I have no desire to cook like that on a day to day basis..lol
    Last edited by Dinah; 11-09-2014 at 09:56 PM.
    MrsInor likes this.

Senior Member R.I.P.

That is actually a bean pot & not a dutch oven. A dutch oven has a ridge around the top for holding hot coals. Baking with a dutch oven you have to have heat top & bottom.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links