Canned Chili - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Canned Chili

This is a discussion on Canned Chili within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; @ Annie ..another thing.I've gone back to including pinto beans since my mom passed away. i also use pinto bean seasoning while their cooking.im thinking ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Canned Chili

@Annie ..another thing.I've gone back to including pinto beans since my mom passed away. i also use pinto bean seasoning while their cooking.im thinking that might be making a difference there.

i also use the seasoning when i cook up beans n ham.in which the seasoning makes a difference with it.
    bigwheel and Annie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimLE View Post
    @Annie ..another thing.I've gone back to including pinto beans since my mom passed away. i also use pinto bean seasoning while their cooking.im thinking that might be making a difference there.

i also use the seasoning when i cook up beans n ham.in which the seasoning makes a difference with it.
    Sorta lost the thread on the pinto bean discussion. As is what is it we are using for seasoning? Thanks. My Mama in law made the best in town using water..sugar and salt. She taught me how to do it..now I make the best pintos in town following her directions. Here's her recipe.

1 lb dried pintos soaked for one hour. No more no less. (Casserole Brand from Kroger and other places are good)
    1 Tablespoon Salt
    1 Tablespoon Sugar
    Water to cover by about 3 inches

Bring to a rapid boil for a min or two then put the lid on the pot and reduce the heat to a gentle boil. Dont touch em for abut three hours other than to peek and add boiling water if they look dry. Gently check for tenderness and saltiness..if not tender keep cooking add additional salt at the end which is usually abut another half teaspoon or so. It makes for a nice firm but tender bean and the juice is separate. Not a big conglomerated mess. Just right to be rinsed and throwed in a pot o Texas Red for them who likes beans in it. Dont use the juice that makes gritty chili. lol.
    Last edited by bigwheel; 12-17-2019 at 03:19 PM.
    Annie and jimLE like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Sorta lost the thread on the pinto bean discussion. As is what is it we are using for seasoning? Thanks. My Mama in law made the best in town using water..sugar and salt. She taught me how to do it..now I make the best pintos in town following her directions. Here's her recipe.

1 lb dried pintos soaked for one hour. No more no less. (Casserole Brand from Kroger and other places are good)
    1 Tablespoon Salt
    1 Tablespoon Sugar
    Water to cover by about 3 inches

Bring to a rapid boil for a min or two then put the lid on the pot and reduce the heat to a gentle boil. Dont touch em for abut three hours other than to peek and add boiling water if they look dry. Gently check for tenderness and saltiness..if not tender keep cooking add additional salt at the end which is usually abut another half teaspoon or so. It makes for a nice firm but tender bean and the juice is separate. Not a big conglomerated mess. Just right to be rinsed and throwed in a pot o Texas Red for them who likes beans in it. Dont use the juice that makes gritty chili. lol.
    That's a good idea to add the sugar and salt. Thanks.
    Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I’m gonna kick you ’til you’re dead!--Moonstruck

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Foir those who follow instructions the sugar and salt balances out like the Chinese ying and yang..or as the they say at Graham..try not to let anybody grab you by the ying yang.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links