Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Canned Chili

6K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  bigwheel 
#1 ·
I do store it. I add it to my own beef... Tonight we're having a family birthday party and I thought I'd try two different types. One has the Hormel, the others got Stagg...

The other additional ingredients are identical:

-Beef
-Sauteed Onions
-Refried Beans
-Chili Powder
-Red Wine
-Cornstarch

We'll see what people like and I'll post back. :tango_face_smile:

#4 ·
Annie, I'm so glad you take the time to post these vignettes. Many times I have come across something I'd like to post because it could be an eye-opener to members. For example, I just bought what appears to be your average flannel shirt, yet the inside pockets are big enough--with extra straps for support--to carry an SW revolver quite easily.

I keep forgetting that food and tools are the corner stones to "survival." Thanks for your contribution!

#7 ·
Ok, chili question. Years ago I used to buy homemade pork chili from a mexican immigrant. The stuff was out-of-this-world good. Absolutely outstanding over scrambled eggs. Of course , he wouldn’t part with the recipe and he is long since dead and gone. (Killed in a bar fight). Any of you southerners have a secret recipe for pork chili?

#10 ·
Ok, chili question. Years ago I used to buy homemade pork chili from a mexican immigrant. The stuff was out-of-this-world good. Absolutely outstanding over scrambled eggs. Of course , he wouldn't part with the recipe and he is long since dead and gone. (Killed in a bar fight). Any of you southerners have a secret recipe for pork chili?
Now that is a tough question right there. Mexicans dont know anything about Chili since its a Texas thing. In fact they say there are restaurants in Mexico who advertise they have real Texas Chili. lol. Anyway...tell us what it tasted like..looked like what kinda chunks of stuff it had in it and we can clone it. Depending on what part of Mexico the Mexican was from. They all eat different depending on the State...how close to the Ocean etc. Thanks.

#8 ·
@Chiefster23, without knowing it, you answered both of your questions.

One, a Mexican immigrant stole a pig to make authentic south-of-the border chili. Ergo, the other Mexican, now realizing his prize pig was stolen, goes to slit the throat of the former illegal.

This is why I carefully oil and polish my knife edges. Clearly a rusty knife kills both immigrants, and allows the southern actors from "Easy Rider" to market their newfound pork products...

BTW, word to the wise. The chili is outstanding, just don't try to "sleep outstanding" in an open field near the locals. Unless Nancy Pelosi is now knee high in cotton, the south is still the south, that being about 1964. This is why modern bike tourists go to Florida riding in large groups...

#9 ·
I buy Hormel chili no beans for when I'm by myself for lunch rather than open up homemade. One time I bought store brand and liked it better, not as watery. I'll have to try stags. Some folks like a soupier chili. Of course that's chili just by itself, no doctoring.

P.S. The bread looks to die for!

#13 · (Edited)
Well yes. Either way it fine. I was raised on what most folks would call yankee chili which is browned off hamburger meat..onions..bell peppers and left over pinto beans but we called it Goulash for some strange reason. When we had chili it came in a can marked Wolf Brand and was not bad. Similar to Hormel nowadays quality wise. Seems like we bought the no bean variant and added our own beans cause we had plenty. The no bean quandry arose in about 67 at the first comp CASI contest at Terlingua and they agreed not to use beans since it would be easier to pick out one chili over another to win the prize. The rules stuck. Real Texas Chili is n beans or other chunks of anything. One pepper seed or chunk of onion will get the entry tossed. Must be meat in smooth red chili gravy. I really like it made into Frito Chili Pies as opposed to putting beans in it..but real comp chili is pretty assertive rich and spicy. Hard to set down and eat a big bowl of it at one sitting. Needs to be made into Enchiladas or something.

#15 · (Edited)
Sounds yummy. This is a light bodied sorta CA style chili which might work to sub out chunks of pork for the beef. Would guess a Boston Butt would be the best choice for the pork. Its got more fat than a loin which is pretty lean. Think I posted it before. You could reduce the heat level to suit yourself. Its pretty spicy in the original format. I also dont use thickeners. I prefer to juggle the lid to the moisture contrent gets right but nothing wrote in stone on that. I just dont like the slick mouthfeel of cornstarch or arrowroot and having used Masa a few times it can be gritty if not careful.
**** Reds *** ?n Good Chili - Green Chile Recipes

PS Edit. Found this link while we were waiting. They say to use country style pork ribs for the meat which is simply thick sliced boston butt in most locations. Now it can also come from the boney end of loin..but not very often. .
https://www.yummly.com/recipe/New-Mexican-Red-Pork-Chili-2579076

#22 ·
I do chili with or without beans. My Mom used beans because it made it go further. Two growing thugs gotta eat!

I had canned chili hotdogs last night. My wife opened the can and cooked the dogs. (She is quit the cook! :vs_laugh:) I cut some peppers and onions, a bit of hot sauce, and Frito chips and I was happy. I keep canned chili, both Hormel and Wolf as part of my canned storage. You can always add your own spices and ingredients to kick it up a notch. When I make homemade it's usually an all day affair but worth it.

#24 ·
i haven't bought store bought chili of any brand in i don't know how many years now.i make and can my own chili.the store bought stuff no longer look,smell or taste like chili to me.pluss there's no telling what they put into it.and fail to print it with the ingredients.

#28 ·
Sorry, . . . Annie, . . . nothing personal against you, . . . but don't invite me over for chili if you are serving that stuff.

IMOPO, . . . no telling what critters gave up their furry little long tailed lives to make that.

May God bless,
Dwight

#37 ·
Hormel spicy with NO BEANS is my go to.
In NM we have three kinds of chile, i guess four.
1 Green chile,, which is just the diced up green chile peppers that is at almost every table. Usually fire roasted, peeled and diced. We have forty POUNDS of it in the freezers.
2 Green Chile Sauce, take browned hambuger, add flour as rou, add green chile and little water, till soup like consistency.
3. Red Chile and sauce, same as above. We alternate back and forth, and usually use Bueno Frozen Red Chile, X Hot.
4. Chilly- meat and small diced vegs, I don't think we have ever made our own? Hormel like stated.

#40 ·
I made some chili and grilled cheese tonight and the family went nuts over it. I just put three cans of chili beans, 2 chopped green peppers, one chopped onion, 4 cups of water, 2 lbs. of Tennessee raised grass fed beef, 2 packs of McCormick chili seasoning and a big can of diced tomatoes. Let it cook for an hour then let it simmer for 2. The sandwiches were Tuscan sourdough crusty bread, colby jack cheese, butter and some diced tomatoes pan grilled and split down the middle. Mom and wife each had seconds and made sure the leftovers were sealed and put in the fridge. I love cooking.

#42 · (Edited)
Sorta lost the thread on the pinto bean discussion. As is what is it we are using for seasoning? Thanks. My Mama in law made the best in town using water..sugar and salt. She taught me how to do it..now I make the best pintos in town following her directions. Here's her recipe.

1 lb dried pintos soaked for one hour. No more no less. (Casserole Brand from Kroger and other places are good)
1 Tablespoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Sugar
Water to cover by about 3 inches

Bring to a rapid boil for a min or two then put the lid on the pot and reduce the heat to a gentle boil. Dont touch em for abut three hours other than to peek and add boiling water if they look dry. Gently check for tenderness and saltiness..if not tender keep cooking add additional salt at the end which is usually abut another half teaspoon or so. It makes for a nice firm but tender bean and the juice is separate. Not a big conglomerated mess. Just right to be rinsed and throwed in a pot o Texas Red for them who likes beans in it. Dont use the juice that makes gritty chili. lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.