Diabetes Type II Post SHTF
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Diabetes Type II Post SHTF within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; My brother was recently diagnosed with diabetes type II and also heart disease. This has me thinking of how bad things could get for him ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Diabetes Type II Post SHTF

Super Moderator

My brother was recently diagnosed with diabetes type II and also heart disease. This has me thinking of how bad things could get for him post SHTF. I'm concerned. He'll be forced to eat shelf stable foods that are often high in carbs at a point in time when they'll be a lot of stress and no medications available. In fact, the problem of my whole family dealing with a poor diet during a high stress time has been concerning me ever since I've gotten into food storage.

So I stumbled upon this guy, Dr Jason Fung. In my estimation, he's like the young boy who cried 'the emperor has no clothes!' --he's that for the medical world. By giving their patients insulin, the doctors have been treating diabetes type II all wrong. Sure, insulin will lower the blood sugar, but where does that sugar go? Unfortunately, it doesn't just disappear into the ethers. It goes into the heart, the kidneys, the feet, the eyes. Type II diabetics are told, 'just lose weight' and 'cut calories and exercise a little more'. But that doesn't work, because guess what? When you lower your calories, your metabolism slows down. That's why cutting calories doesn't work. The body has a set weight it wants to be. The body doesn't like to lose weight. It's like a thermostat in your house; that thermostat wants to stay at 72 degrees and if the temperature outside changes, it'll adjust the same way our metabolism adjusts when we cut calories: by slowing down.

The solution: fasting. Fasting equals low insulin. Low insulin equals fat burning. Once you're into fat burning (assuming you have fat to burn), you have more energy, more mental clarity. Back in the 60's and even 70's when most people were thin they ate breakfast, lunch and dinner. They didn't snack. That gave the body time to lower insulin which kept things in check. Americans today are eating way to often throughout the course of the day so insulin levels stay high and we get fat. Bottom line is that in the presence of insulin, the body can't burn fat.

I love this guy; he's the man! Check him out, LMK what you think.

Last edited by Annie; 08-10-2019 at 05:58 AM.

The Good Cop

Good to know. Type II is common among Vietnam vets, caused by exposure to Agent Orange herbicide.
    Luckily my A1C level in my blood stays below the diabetes threshold, but I’m borderline.
    My wife tries to feed me well, and we usually only eat two meals a day.

Thanks for the info.
    Annie and dwight55 like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

At least Type 2 Diabetes is reversible/curable/more easily treated.

Type 1 Diabetes is not. In Type 1 the pancreas does not work. Zero production of insulin. Mrs S is Type 1.

In a SHTF situation, Type 2 people have a chance and more than likely due to additional exercise, less food and a drastic lifestyle change, I think that many will become more healthy.

Type 1's have no chance if insulin is not available or if they are unable to keep insulin at its proper temp.

Either way, Type 1's or Type 2's will be at a high risk of Hyperglycemia and friends, I'm here to tell you, that ain't a nice way to die.
    Prepared One likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

@Cricket ; what do you think?
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Good to know. Type II is common among Vietnam vets, caused by exposure to Agent Orange herbicide.
    Luckily my A1C level in my blood stays below the diabetes threshold, but I’m borderline.
    My wife tries to feed me well, and we usually only eat two meals a day.

Thanks for the info.
    Glad to hear your blood levels are okay. I'm sure skipping breakfast has helped. I'm down to one meal a day: dinner. I feel fantastic, have more energy than I've had in years and my excess weight that wouldn't budge is melting off like ice cream in Arizona.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post

Type 1 Diabetes is not. In Type 1 the pancreas does not work. Zero production of insulin. Mrs S is Type 1.

In a SHTF situation, Type 2 people have a chance and more than likely due to additional exercise, less food and a drastic lifestyle change, I think that many will become more healthy.

Type 1's have no chance if insulin is not available or if they are unable to keep insulin at its proper temp.

Either way, Type 1's or Type 2's will be at a high risk of Hyperglycemia and friends, I'm here to tell you, that ain't a nice way to die.
    Sorry to hear about Mrs. S. Here's to hope for some cure.

The Good Cop

Annie, is your brother a Nam vet?
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post

What steps, if any, can be taken to mitigate Type 1 if this all goes sideways? Can you advance prescriptions and store it. How long does it keep even if stored properly?
    Slippy likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I am a type II. I have gone to 5 small meals a day. The reason I do it this way is I don't have the diabetic "roller coaster". Also since I started taking 2000 mg of cinnamon twice a day, my A1c's are right around 4.5. I do take 250 mg of Metformin a day. My doctor being of the "Same Mind Set" that I am writes Rx for 1000 mg. So I will always have a surplus. I just rotate my stock. I stay active and have lost about 100 pounds. RPD thanks for that info. I was wondering if that is why the VA gives me my Metformin at no cost? Any way when I got diagnosed with Type II, it scared the crap out of me and my life style changed. I owned my own Respiratory company at the time and sat behind a desk for 10 hours a day. That changed immediately. I started walking at lunch and also at night. My weight did not fall off like "Ice cream in Arizona", but it did start to come off.
    Denton and Prepared One like this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Annie, is your brother a Nam vet?
    No, he was born in 1960.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links