Diabetes Type II Post SHTF - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Diabetes Type II Post SHTF

This is a discussion on Diabetes Type II Post SHTF within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by A Watchman A couple comments ….. I eat a Keto diet staying under 30 carbs a dat. It works for my weight ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Diabetes Type II Post SHTF

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    A couple comments …..
    I eat a Keto diet staying under 30 carbs a dat. It works for my weight control and blood sugar.

I thought we banned Cricket, is her time in the penalty box up already?
    I escaped.
    A Watchman and Annie like this.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    My rule of thumb is that folks with diabetes need to do what work for THEM.
    For me personally, I cannot fast, period. When I don't eat, my blood sugar continues to elevate until I give in and eat. That being said, my body tends to be weird.

I think it is also important to realize that not all people became diabetic for the same reasons. Far too many people believe that folks are diabetic (type 2) due to obesity.

Although the parts about obesity in this video do not apply to me, this video made all the difference in the word for me.[/video]
    That's interesting that your blood sugar is elevated when you don't eat...Did the doctor know why that is?

Since you're thin, you probably don't have the resources to do much fasting since fat is stored energy. Have you heard of T.O.F.I., or "Thin Outside, Fat Inside", as in visceral fat around the organs? I had heard that can be the cause for thin type 2's?

I do live a KETO lifestyle and have for more than a few years now.

This is a video I made for a diabetes forum that I work with. It is the basics of what I do.

Just my 2 cents...
    Sharing with my brother, who hates even the idea of fasting. Fasting seems to be working for me even better than the Keto. I'm finding I can add a few more carbs back and I'm still losing weight. I'll just have to see if that lasts...
    Last edited by Cricket; 08-18-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    That's interesting that your blood sugar is elevated when you don't eat...Did the doctor know why that is?

Since you're thin, you probably don't have the resources to do much fasting since fat is stored energy. Have you heard of T.O.F.I., or "Thin Outside, Fat Inside", as in visceral fat around the organs? I had heard that can be the cause for thin type 2's?

Sharing with my brother, who hates even the idea of fasting. Fasting seems to be working for me even better than the Keto. I'm finding I can add a few more carbs back and I'm still losing weight. I'll just have to see if that lasts...
    My body appears to make plenty (as of right now) insulin. It just has a really hard time actually using it. (This is also known as insulin resistance, mine is just worse than the average diabetic.) My thyroid tends to spit out too many hormones and my pituitary gland likes to be a brat. Basically, for me, it is similar (but not the same as) as dawn phenomenon or the Somogyi effect. Basically, hormones tell my liver to release glucose into my blood steam, especially when it thinks I am not eating, but not just when I wake up. In the mornings I can stop the increase with a KETO coffee which of course breaks the overnight fast. FWIW when I was diagnosed with diabetes, I was in the best shape of my life. My weight was under control, I didn't eat junk (primarily real food) and I walked (intentional) 5-10 miles daily. Clearly that didn't protect me. When I was diagnosed, I as admitted to the hospital with a 13+ A1C. Today my A1C runs in the 5.2 range, so I think I'll just keep on doing what works for me. (FWIW I had gestational diabetes during all of my pregnancies which increases the risk of diabetes type 2 later in life. Additionally, I have a large number of relatives with diabetes.)

I truly believe diabetics need to research and try everything until they find the solution that works for them. For me, KETO is simple, I don't have to think too much and only rarely feel any hunger. To this day, I follow the basics that I posted in that video I made, and continue to do so.

P.S. My KETO coffee consist of the following. (1) strong coffee (2) heavy whipping cream (3) stevia (4) butter (5) coconut oil or MCT oil. I blend it all in the blender.
    Last edited by Cricket; 08-18-2019 at 07:00 PM.
    Annie and Denton like this.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

For the type 2 diabetics reading this thread, don't lose time or drive yourself crazy wondering how or why you have diabetes.

There is just ONE THING that matters. Learning how to control it.

For Annie, start canning meat, above ground veggies, and perhaps lard for a SHTF situation.
    Annie and Denton like this.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    @Cricket; what do you think?
    Are ya wishing you hadn't invited me to this conversation?

Diabetes and/or KETO is something I can talk about for hours.
    Denton and Slippy like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Are ya wishing you hadn't invited me to this conversation?

Diabetes and/or KETO is something I can talk about for hours.
    Nope. I knew you'd be the one to offer the best advice and information.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

Here's a video you might want to watch.

Annie likes this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

If anyone asks I just say I'm cutting out sugar and starch. Who can argue that? The conversation always ends there.

Administrator

Nobody has the courage to argue with me about my personal nutrition.

For me personally, all the proof I need is in my results and my labs.

- Cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    A couple comments …..
    I eat a Keto diet staying under 30 carbs a day. It works for my weight control and blood sugar.

I thought we banned Cricket, is her time in the penalty box up already?
    I thought Cricket had left us for an even higher paying job and that @Mish was in charge.
    Mish and A Watchman like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links