Diabetes Type II Post SHTF - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Diabetes Type II Post SHTF

This is a discussion on Diabetes Type II Post SHTF within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy Good to know. Type II is common among Vietnam vets, caused by exposure to Agent Orange herbicide. Luckily my ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Diabetes Type II Post SHTF

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Good to know. Type II is common among Vietnam vets, caused by exposure to Agent Orange herbicide.
    Luckily my A1C level in my blood stays below the diabetes threshold, but I’m borderline.
    My wife tries to feed me well, and we usually only eat two meals a day.

Thanks for the info.
    From what you said above, . . . we live in the same universe.

Much as I want to and like to, . . . I just can't make myself stay away from some of the foods I love: raisins, grapes, bananas, apples, cherries, yams, sweet taters, and darn near any jar of anything in the fridge that says "jelly" or "jam".

I bake my own apple pies, cherry pies, berry pies, . . . and "a la mode" is the usual dressing.

Also cannot pass up a bag of sour cream n onion chips or "Chili cheese corn chips".

I struggle with the weight, . . . and with only 2 major meals a day, . . . I've kept the sugar under control, . . . although I do have the peripheral neuropathy (diabetic foot pain).

My "go to" diet is the Atkins diet, . . . basically zero carbs for a couple of weeks, . . . get rid of 5 to 8 pounds, . . . and it also keeps my blood pressure under control. Took BP meds for more years than I wanted to talk about, . . . dropped a total of over 40 pounds the first time on the diet, . . . BP has been good ever since, . . . even though I've gained 25 of it back.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    @Gunn , I hope I'm not offending you. That's the last thing I would want...I'm just putting it out there for anyone who's interested in the information; not my information but this doctor's, a guy who treats diabetics with kidney disease. Why? 'Cause what's better than something that's free that works? Obviously any diabetics who follow this advice need to do so with their doctor, keeping check on their blood hemoglobin A1C.

Type 2 is a problem where your body is making insulin, but the cells are full, so the sugars have nowhere to go other than the organs.
    You are not offending me. Not at all. In fact I think it is great that you care. I am at the stage of my disease that they are ready to take me off the meds and have it strictly diet controlled. NOT many can say that. In fact most consider it a death sentence. I NEVER did. I knew I had to get a handle on it and I did. I am fortunate that I work with one of the best endocrinologists in the PNW and we talk at least twice a week, I see her in the hallways and it never fails, she askes me how I am doing and what my last A1c was. Or she will ask what my fasting blood sugar was that morning. In fact my eyesight has improved and she often says that I heal faster than most people even with the disease.
    Denton and Annie like this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

Super Moderator

@dwight55 what helped me kick the sugar cravings was adding a little more fat to my meal. Basically what I do is Atkins but with a little cheese or avocados or some sour cream or what have you. For now I'm staying away from all sugar and starch until I get to my goal weight, then maybe just every so often but I don't crave it anymore. My body doesn't tolerate the high carb stuff so well these days.
    dwight55, Denton and Slippy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gunn View Post
    You are not offending me. Not at all. In fact I think it is great that you care. I am at the stage of my disease that they are ready to take me off the meds and have it strictly diet controlled. NOT many can say that. In fact most consider it a death sentence. I NEVER did. I knew I had to get a handle on it and I did. I am fortunate that I work with one of the best endocrinologists in the PNW and we talk at least twice a week, I see her in the hallways and it never fails, she askes me how I am doing and what my last A1c was. Or she will ask what my fasting blood sugar was that morning. In fact my eyesight has improved and she often says that I heal faster than most people even with the disease.
    You're right very few make it to where you are now. Congrats!

I just got out of my brother's car and saw a couple of empty Coke cans--again. He's giving his poor system whiplash.
    Denton likes this.

Sorry to hear about Mrs. S. Here's to hope for some cure.
    Appreciate it, but she's dealt with it for many years. I do not expect to see a cure in her lifetime.
    Denton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    What steps, if any, can be taken to mitigate Type 1 if this all goes sideways? Can you advance prescriptions and store it. How long does it keep even if stored properly?
    If things go "REAL BAD" Sideways most Type 1's are toast. We have a number of extra months of insulin but you need to be mindful of the Expiration Dates. Also some of the insulin's also begin to break down once you take them out of the refrigerator, you then have 28 days or so to use them...if kept at room temp and not in hot cars etc.
    Prepared One likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Appreciate it, but she's dealt with it for many years. I do not expect to see a cure in her lifetime.
    Well, you never know. Perhaps if they can send a man to the moon, the can come up with a cure for type 1...Anyways and regardless, she has Mr Slippy, so she's a lucky lady.
    Slippy likes this.

Well, you never know. Perhaps if they can send a man to the moon, the can come up with a cure for type 1...Anyways and regardless, she has Mr Slippy, so she's a lucky lady.
    Thanks Annie!

But now you done gone and opened up the old "we sent a man to the moon" nonsense... .....
    Annie and Denton like this.

I have a 3 year supply of insulin - Novalin 70/30 and 1000 MG Metformin tabs. I recently lost 25 pounds and dropped my insulin intake 33% . I'll be losing enough weight soon to totally get off the needle but will keep the needles and insulin for barter just in case! When it expires I'll just toss it. Food is poison in large amounts! Just like it's deadly in too small amounts...
    The sooner anyone figures that out the sooner they start to get healthy again!
    Annie and Slippy like this.

I think there are a lot of things like Diabetes, both types, that they probably have the cure for, but the pharmaceutical companies would go out of business if they implemented cures. Big pharma makes a lot of money on treating the symptoms. That money would disappear if people were cured. Just my opinion.
    Annie and Prepared One like this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links