Get to the gym!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Get to the gym!

This is a discussion on Get to the gym! within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I eat pretty good, and I don't have any of the usual vices, like smoking or drinking--stuff I haven't done in decades. But I also ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Get to the gym!

Get to the gym!

I eat pretty good, and I don't have any of the usual vices, like smoking or drinking--stuff I haven't done in decades. But I also learned the value of a constant gym presence, which I've done since before I was married.

Last year I had a physical by my soon-to-be-former doctor. I was on the examination gurney when he started to twist around my legs, ankles and knees. He frowned quite a bit. I got off the table and he asked me how flexible I could be. I had my Tyson boots on, and I did an easy "ballet kick" over halfway up his office wall--about collar bone height to an attacker. My doctor was still miffed.

Fast forward to a few days ago. I got to the gym late and I wanted to use the StepMill, the most cruel, mechanical device invented since the BSA Rocket Three Motorcycle. One of the machines was open, an elderly man was on the other.

I climbed for about 20 minutes when the "elderly guy" said, "Oh, hello Chico!" It was my former doctor, in terrible shape, no muscle tone (his calves were smaller than my forearms) and his wrinkled face gave way to thinning white hair. I was shocked.

After the stairs, I saw a friend of mine, who had taught along side my wife in the local school. I asked him if he knew "the old guy." He said he didn't, until I told him he was our mutual doctor.

Clearly, the doctor had made a major mistake. He started his routine far tool late in life.

Gym life is not a fraternity, nor an excuse to get out of work, or a method to hide from your kids' babysitter, or a remedy for a hang-over, because I've heard them all.

Here's the upshot. My former doctor is fifteen years younger than I am.

I am 69.5 years old, and my family lineage allows that my life span is to the age of 94 years. And let me tell you, it's great to bend without pain, to be able to lift heavy objects, and to make bangers pee just those few telling drops.

But I'm afraid to say that my former doctor might have about ten years left at his familial demographic. Think about this, watch your diet--yes indeed--but get to the gym, even if the first months are aerobic only. Do it while you still can.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Tell us the truth @tourist, you just go to the gym to see young women in spandex!
    bigwheel and Mosinator762x54r like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Tell us the truth @tourist, you just go to the gym to see young women in spandex!
    Okay, there's another benefit of going to the gym. And Trapper is correct. Just about every female there is lithe, healthy, has long thick hair and wears leotards that don't really hide anything.

Like I said, get to the gym!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I got internet...why in the hell do I need to go to the gym to see something that I can't have? I'm married....so I know what disappointment looks, smells, and feels like.

Muscle strength and flexibility? I got about 30 seconds of total hell I can unleash on someone before I gas out and no longer care what happens to me. short of that...3-5 lbs....thats the trigger pull for my guns and If i'm not flexible enough to pull it from my hip, I'll get me a shoulder holster.

I ain't in good enough shape to work out. Hell I had to stretch after reading your first post....thought I'd pulled something.
    Prepared One likes this.

I've found just a balanced work load covers most of needed workout.

Cut cord and lumber wood, two homes ~ 10 cords, hand split. Plant/maintain an acre home garden. 40 acre farmland. Maintian all properties yourself.

I used to be able to workout, when day was done, 30 years ago, now I'm too tired. I need more running or work using a bicycle, I still bike > 10 miles a week.

As far as @tourist comments, farm girls are better than gym girls. Lets go to the barn hay mall....

Name:  no farms no farm girls.png
Views: 85
Size:  22.2 KB
    Old SF Guy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Yep. Sounds plausible

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Yep. Sounds plausible
    I'd rather shoveling shit, and watching the girls learn to ride horses. My first GF was a farm girl. Preppers, if you love one,farm girl, keep her.
    bigwheel likes this.

I dated "college girls" in the 1970s.

What you guys might not know or may have forgotten is that the UW-Madison curriculum was 50% veterinary. Those 'college girls' were farm girls, and either wanted to become veterinarians or learn more scientific aspects of making sure farm animals got better care.

I dated both city girls, and with my years living in Menomonee Falls, I was very comfortable with area farm girls. In fact, it got very serious with girl I met at Joey's Anchor Inn, and I almost wound up dumping my Jewish girl friend from Chicago for this "dairy queen."

This is the benefit of growing up in Wisconsin. You can date in Milwaukee, and within 20 minutes up Hwy 41, you could be in the arms of a farm girl--and I did just that...

I also dated a girl whose grandmother raised bees for the honey industry. Heck, even my dad flirted with that girl!
    bigwheel likes this.

I worked many years in a very physical job, lots of lifting and reaching high, lots of time on my knees and I was a bit proud of being in better shape and more flexible than most people my age.
    But a few months ago I took a job where I polish a seat with my ass for hours at a time, I still work plenty at the house but I'm already seeing my waist expand and my muscles shrink a bit.
    jimb1972 and bigwheel like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links