Get to the gym! - Page 2

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Get to the gym!

This is a discussion on Get to the gym! within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Elvis, I went through the same thing a few months ago. I could not get a complete release from my doctor. I got a tad ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Get to the gym!

Elvis, I went through the same thing a few months ago. I could not get a complete release from my doctor. I got a tad lazy. Over the past few weeks I've just kicked it up, and hard. First thing I noticed upon walking to to gym shower was that my reflection in the mirror showed that tight stomach once again.

Here's my theory. If you were a stone, cold rookie, I'd say several months were ahead of you. In your case, you're still "healthy," just off your routine. You still have muscle mass to push you through the 'recovery' period, it's just a matter of doing what you already know how to do.

Good luck, I was there last month.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

I used to be a work out warrior. I have lifted wights most of my life, 3 times a week I would run, and I swim. I still swim and do light weights but there is no routine. I do lot of walking as running is out because of my bad knees to go along with three ruptured discs in my back. I was hell on wheels for years and now I am paying for it. I wasn't supposed to live this long. Who knew?

These days I am more like @Old SF Guy , I will no longer go 15 rounds with some dumb schmuck bad ass in a dark ally, a 4 pound pull of the trigger of my pistol in 3 seconds and Mr. bad ass is going to have a bad day.
    Slippy and A Watchman like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

@Prepared One, yes, being able to the kind of man that can handle every crisis is a goal, and as we get older it just seems to be a lot of work. However, we have guys in the gym in their 80s and 90s and they still show up daily for their work-outs. Being ready to handle a crisis is just one positive aspect of having a tuned body. A good diet and some serious gym time is also tantamount to your health and your resistance to disease and illness.

Oh, and I found a hard-boiled egg after good work-out helps. The gym cafe' has them in their dining area. They come "two in a baggie," and some pepper with a hint of salt really seems to make the ride home a little less dreary. It must be a type of food that mainlines protein to head off that "low" feeling.

I skip every other day, because too many eggs are bad, as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    @Prepared One, yes, being able to the kind of man that can handle every crisis is a goal, and as we get older it just seems to be a lot of work. However, we have guys in the gym in their 80s and 90s and they still show up daily for their work-outs. Being ready to handle a crisis is just one positive aspect of having a tuned body. A good diet and some serious gym time is also tantamount to your health and your resistance to disease and illness.

Oh, and I found a hard-boiled egg after good work-out helps. The gym cafe' has them in their dining area. They come "two in a baggie," and some pepper with a hint of salt really seems to make the ride home a little less dreary. It must be a type of food that mainlines protein to head off that "low" feeling.

I skip every other day, because too many eggs are bad, as well.
    Come on now, going to tell us not drink milk too?

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Eggs bad? That's such 80's baloney. My free range hawg hen eggs are low in cholesterol. They are the perfect food.

Who still uses margarine lol! Not me no freaking way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Come on now, going to tell us not drink milk too?
    Raw milk is what we get. Its the way it was intended to be.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 06-23-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    Annie and bigwheel like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Eggs bad? That's such 80's baloney. My free range hawg hen eggs are low in cholesterol. They are the perfect food.

Who still uses margarine lol! Not me no freaking way.

Raw milk is what we get. Its the way it was intended to be.
    Butter, eggs, bacon, milk, wheat bread/toast. Fresh fruit.

My blood work said I was fine. LDL/HDL fine choseterol low

Dinner? Steak, potatoes, carrots , brocolli.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 06-23-2019 at 07:53 AM.
    hawgrider likes this.

My blood work is like that of a cyborg. My BP is 119/69 and hardly varies, even during tension.

The guy who invented "The Spin" stationery bike program had a pulse of 32 beats per minute. Heck, I thought I was doing good if I hit the high fifties.

Edit: Guys, I eat much of the same stuff you do. For example, yes I eat eggs, but not every day. I also eat meat, but it's fish. I believe in a "varied diet." I do not eat on Tuesday what I did on Monday.
    Last edited by The Tourist; 06-23-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    My blood work is like that of a cyborg. My BP is 119/69 and hardly varies, even during tension.

The guy who invented "The Spin" stationery bike program had a pulse of 32 beats per minute. Heck, I thought I was doing good if I hit the high fifties.

Edit: Guys, I eat much of the same stuff you do. For example, yes I eat eggs, but not every day. I also eat meat, but it's fish. I believe in a "varied diet." I do not eat on Tuesday what I did on Monday.
    So Why am I fine on tests. although, I eat:

meat, fish, eggs, diary, bacon, pork, keilbasa, whole milk, polish sasuages,

Go the gay way to get fit, fine with me.

edit: My BP was never low 140/80 when young and on sports teams, 40 years later, it's the same. Explain that
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 06-23-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Tourist you are right on about the gym. While in the Navy, working out and staying healthy was part of the Job. When I got out, I got lazy and my civilian work schedule was more hours and on the road allot. Take out, long hours, just lost it. But, I got injured a few times(back a couple times pulling muscles), and the last was overextending one knee the wrong way then , while right knee was healing, I missed last rung on a ladder and dead locked my other knee..
    Its been 8 months easy, and I am just starting to be able to walk like a young 51 year old I am.
    Soon, I will be back in the gym, slowly getting back up to a good routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Tell us the truth @tourist, you just go to the gym to see young women in spandex!
    Oh, great!! It's almost a good idea to look at the female figure in sportswear. In addition to the health effects !!!
    bigwheel likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links