Thin shelled chicken egss?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Thin shelled chicken egss? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Guys, my girls are laying great, and I have an abundance of eggs. Like three dozen today. I tried hard boiling a dozen a few ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Thin shelled chicken egss?

Guys, my girls are laying great, and I have an abundance of eggs. Like three dozen today. I tried hard boiling a dozen a few days ago...
    FAIL. They are so thin shelled. I tried the method someone told of, where you boil them, then cool off with water, then shake the heck outta the pan with a lid on them, the membrane sticks to the shell. It was a total wash, I ended up pissed off, crunched up that whole dozen and gave them back to the chickens.
    I do give them shells, I also feed them Purina, the one that says "healthy egg production" or something.
    What else can I do?
    Note, we don't wash, just rinse any serious poop off, and keep rotated in fridge.
    I don't know if I can get the wife to go the in refridgerated way.
    Also, what way "to boil"?
    All in the pot, then water onto stove?
    I tried boiling water first, then lowering eggs in, that didn't work, some busted and made a mess.
    Room temp before boiling?
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Free range chickens always have thicker shells and more orangish yokes. Try getting them outside to eat some natural food (bugs, slugs, etc)

What are you feeding them if the shells are thin generally they are missing stuff in the feed like oyster shells. You may try making oyster shells available to them at this point don't mix it in feed put offer it free will to them. Give it a little time to work .
    Also make sure you using a good layer feed.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    Guys, my girls are laying great, and I have an abundance of eggs. Like three dozen today. I tried hard boiling a dozen a few days ago...
    FAIL. They are so thin shelled. I tried the method someone told of, where you boil them, then cool off with water, then shake the heck outta the pan with a lid on them, the membrane sticks to the shell. It was a total wash, I ended up pissed off, crunched up that whole dozen and gave them back to the chickens.
    I do give them shells, I also feed them Purina, the one that says "healthy egg production" or something.
    What else can I do?
    Note, we don't wash, just rinse any serious poop off, and keep rotated in fridge.
    I don't know if I can get the wife to go the in refridgerated way.
    Also, what way "to boil"?
    All in the pot, then water onto stove?
    I tried boiling water first, then lowering eggs in, that didn't work, some busted and made a mess.
    Room temp before boiling?
    We buy eggs from a friend. We noticed the same thing. Work-wifey explained it to me just yesterday.
    Let them sit in the fridge for about three weeks if you're looking to hard-boil the eggs.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    When I was just a young whipper snapper, my mom would buy bags of oyster shells to feed the chickens, it would make the shells thicker and harder....I don’t know if you can still get them or not.....
    Annie likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rstanek View Post
    When I was just a young whipper snapper, my mom would buy bags of oyster shells to feed the chickens, it would make the shells thicker and harder....I don’t know if you can still get them or not.....
    Wow, I bet oyster shells are very nutritious for the little squawkers.
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

the only thin shelled eggs I ever got was from rookie chickens just trying to learn how to lay eggs. How old are your chickens?

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    We buy eggs from a friend. We noticed the same thing. Work-wifey explained it to me just yesterday.
    Let them sit in the fridge for about three weeks if you're looking to hard-boil the eggs.
    Bingo!!
    If you want to have easier to peel hard boiled eggs, let them sit in the fridge for at least two weeks.

Also, the protein percentage of the feed you are giving is very important. 16% is great. You also want it to say Layer Pellets on the bag.
    If you are using Purina, try their Layeena With Omega 3. We have used that in the past, but it requires a 60 mile round trip to Tractor Supply, so we just buy local now. Southern States brand,

Crushed oyster shells.
    Buy a 5 or 10 pound plastic bag of scratch feed and scatter some of that for them to peck at.

Do your birds get outside in the grass and dirt every day? Ours only "go up" at night, or if another flock is out.

And, Bigwheel has a point. When the hens get toward the end of their laying, the shells get really thin. You should be able to get 3 or 4 good laying years, IF you DO NOT trick them to lay in the winter by keeping a light on in the coop.
    Slippy, Deebo, Denton and 1 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Thanks all for the oyster shell tip, will store it in my memory bank for future.

Here you go Deebs, something I found that may help in preparing the shells...

https://www.wikihow.com/Prepare-Oyst...s-for-Chickens

Thanks guys.
    I will look at the bag I have to buy today, but its Purina Layer, and I do remember I looked, it was 16%.
    No, they don't get out every much, I am never home during the day, and am scared of the neighbors dog, and that hawk I chased off.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links