Thin shelled chicken egss? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thin shelled chicken egss?

This is a discussion on Thin shelled chicken egss? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by bigwheel the only thin shelled eggs I ever got was from rookie chickens just trying to learn how to lay eggs. How ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Thin shelled chicken egss?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    the only thin shelled eggs I ever got was from rookie chickens just trying to learn how to lay eggs. How old are your chickens?
    They are all from last year, three hens from the spring, and four from the fall, the spring girls really started laying good at the end of the fall, and the latest fall girls are dropping almost one a day.
    Average six a day from the seven chickens and a duck. I don't know if the duck is boy or girl?
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    They are all from last year, three hens from the spring, and four from the fall, the spring girls really started laying good at the end of the fall, and the latest fall girls are dropping almost one a day.
    Average six a day from the seven chickens and a duck. I don't know if the duck is boy or girl?
    Good average on the numbers. One egg per 36 hours per chicken is about the optimum. This will vary according to conditions, such as weather, or if they get stressed by some animal snooping around.
    Smitty901 likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Happy birds lay eggs. The more hours of sun light, right feed all plays in to number and quality of eggs
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I found an hard boiled egg hack a while ago, pierce a hole in the large end, I use a thumb tack. Works for me 99% of the time. I think I saw it on Essential Pepin. I like to watch cooking shows.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    Feels your pain on the Duck sexing. Weve had a couple of batches over the years. They are much more fun than chickens. Used to have a big white one we named Fred till he started laying eggs one day and got his name changed to Fredda. The crazy bird would hang out with all the beer drinkers around the pool till the wee hours wating for somebody to dump the June Bugs out of the skimmer. She could eat her own body weight in june bugs and would fight a person over a smoked spare rib. As far as I kinow male ducks have a pecuiliar little curly q looking tail feather and the females dont. Least thats what the guy at the feed store said. He also said for evry male duck you have it takes 7 female ducks to make him happy. If you get one of each the male will copulate the female to death. Those are some horny bastids.
    https://animals.mom.me/how-to-tell-a...-12278697.html
    Last edited by bigwheel; 06-03-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    Slippy likes this.

I also use the Purina layer pellets and allow our birds to run every day. Most of the year the shells and liner membranes are so thick it's hard to get a clean break to keep shell out of the skillet. This changes during the summer and fall to a thinner shell when the birds are hardly eating any feed but instead eating bugs and grass seeds.

We occasionally buy a bag of Dumor crumbles when we have younger birds that may have troubles with the pellets. The shells tend to still be very thick but the membranes are thinner making it easier to get a clean egg break for less shell in the skillet.

Years ago I stored about a years worth of feed as a prep. After about 8 months the birds were eating very little and losing weight. The shells got thin. I'm assuming that chicken feed goes rancid after a while and the birds weren't getting enough calcium.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

The Good Cop

We only keep one month's supply of layer pellets on hand. Six 50# bags.
    Good point on the layer crumbles for young hens, Down South we call it "layer mash".

We have a rodent proof hay shed where we also store extra bags of feed.
    I built a feed/tack room on the end of the stables, we keep one bag each of the various feeds open at any given time - each one in a galvanized steel garbage can to keep rodents out of it.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Nice. Just ordered one of the EGG COOKERS off amazon, that steam them to a soft or hard boil, for about 19$, someone recommended it on another thread.
    It also talks of poking a small hole on the round (bottom) part of the egg, and cooking it hole up in this 7 egg cooker.
    Also, my damn chickens prefer to eat rabbit food.

Update-
    So the eggs that were the "oldest" peeled ok today.
    I used the egg cooker from amazon.
    Soft boiled three, then used the tray to "fry" two.
    All of the eggs came out great.
    very happy.
    SIDE NOTE-
    If you buy the microwave gizmo, that can cook eggs, BE damn sure to pierce the yolks, and scramble them a little. I had a "clean up on Isle 9" catastrophy. Also, I learned to only microwave for about 30 seconds at a time.
    Smitty901 and Slippy like this.

Thin shelled chicken egss?-egss.png

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links