Rice: maybe a silly question, but here goes - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rice: maybe a silly question, but here goes

This is a discussion on Rice: maybe a silly question, but here goes within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I've just been putting packages of instant rice in 5 gallon buckets. More expensive I know but, a lot easier and quicker to prepare if ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Rice: maybe a silly question, but here goes

I've just been putting packages of instant rice in 5 gallon buckets. More expensive I know but, a lot easier and quicker to prepare if fuel is short.
    dwight55 and Annie like this.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Dog View Post
    I've just been putting packages of instant rice in 5 gallon buckets. More expensive I know but, a lot easier and quicker to prepare if fuel is short.
    Thanks, Boss Dog, . . . but I'm thinking more of walking into the pantry, . . . whipping the lid off the jar, . . . maybe pouring a couple tablespoons of cream on it, . . . grabbing a spoon, . . . and chowing down.

I already do that (more or less) with cans of tuna, . . . beanie weanies, . . . baked beans, . . . green beans, . . . etc.

I just never heard of anyone doing it, . . . so my question more or less was "is it a viable alternative"??

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Boss Dog likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I found out that very old jasmine rice - about 3 years past date, is still edible, however I don't like it.
    Something about the texture.
    I've been feeding birds and squirrels with them.

However, in a survival scenario - food is food. Like I said, it is still edible!

We use a lot of rice especially with international students we're hosting, so I just make sure they get rotated.

Also, without a rice cooker, I think old rice needs quite a bit more water to cook.
    Last edited by charito; 05-13-2019 at 04:44 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by charito View Post
    I found out that very old jasmine rice - about 3 years past date, is still edible, however I don't like it.

However, in a survival scenario - food is food. Like I said, it is still edible!

We use a lot of rice especially with international students we're hosting, so I just make sure they get rotated.

Also, without a rice cooker, I think old rice needs quite a bit more water to cook.

you can also ground up old rice and beans into a flour - mix it in and use it that way also ....
    Annie, charito and Slippy like this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by charito View Post

Do you ever saute the rice in oil first? Then add spices before boiling? Boil it in broth? I find that really improves both the taste and texture, especially if you don't like sticky rice. I don't like sticky rice.
    charito likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    Thanks, Boss Dog, . . . but I'm thinking more of walking into the pantry, . . . whipping the lid off the jar, . . . maybe pouring a couple tablespoons of cream on it, . . . grabbing a spoon, . . . and chowing down.

I already do that (more or less) with cans of tuna, . . . beanie weanies, . . . baked beans, . . . green beans, . . . etc.

I just never heard of anyone doing it, . . . so my question more or less was "is it a viable alternative"??

May God bless,
    Dwight
    I'm a little late with this reply, but just saw this. I'd be wary about pressure canning rice. I don't can anything unless I can find a recipe for it from a reliable source. Like the Ball canning Book or Presto or the National Center for Home Food Preservation.
    https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_04/soups.html
    Caution: Do not add noodles or other pasta, rice, flour, cream, milk or other thickening agents to home canned soups. If dried beans or peas are used, they must be fully rehydrated first.
    charito likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Do you ever saute the rice in oil first? Then add spices before boiling? Boil it in broth? I find that really improves both the taste and texture, especially if you don't like sticky rice. I don't like sticky rice.
    It wasn't sticky at all. The texture was weird - like crumbly.
    I wonder how old that rice was - it was on sale at Walmart. It didn't have a best before date.

Mind you, it could also have been mislabelled as "jasmine." I can't remember the country it came from.
    Last edited by charito; Today at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I'm a little late with this reply, but just saw this. I'd be wary about pressure canning rice. I don't can anything unless I can find a recipe for it from a reliable source. Like the Ball canning Book or Presto or the National Center for Home Food Preservation.
    https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_04/soups.html
    Yes. A lot at stake to take a risk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links