Question regarding Peanut Butter.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Question regarding Peanut Butter. within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; This may be a silly question but I wanted to know what type of peanut butter will last the longest, preferably one that doesn't contain ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Question regarding Peanut Butter.

This may be a silly question but I wanted to know what type of peanut butter will last the longest, preferably one that doesn't contain any sugar and would keep it's consistency and remain spreadable for a long period of time.

I used to buy the all natural kind with the oil on top that needs to be mixed before use but I came to the realization that these types, if left to sit for too long will harden and solidify and become very difficult to mix later on. These types are also more expensive and I am really watching my budget and I want to make the best choices at the cheapest prices.

Any suggestions for a good inexpensive peanut butter without sugar or other unwanted additives that will last and remain spreadable? Or should I just stick with Peter Pan, Jiffy, etc.?
    Last edited by GoodSam; 09-30-2018 at 07:42 PM.

standard retail type peanut butter has too much oils & fats content for long term storage - stock dehydrated canned and re-hydrate & mix as needed ....
    Denton likes this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    standard retail type peanut butter has too much oils & fats content for long term storage - stock dehydrated canned and re-hydrate & mix as needed ....
    Perhaps I should've specified the time frame. I am not talking about decades worth of storage only a few years tops but thanks for the info. I was unaware there was dehydrated "prepper" peanut butter on the market.
    Denton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSam View Post
    Perhaps I should've specified the time frame. I am not talking about decades worth of storage only a few years tops but thanks for the info. I was unaware there was dehydrated "prepper" peanut butter on the market.
    There sure is, and I am glad! Peanut butter is an important part of any Southerner's preps!

As far as jarred peanut butter:
    https://www.eatbydate.com/proteins/n...-food-storage/
    Annie likes this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

There sure is, and I am glad! Peanut butter is an important part of any Southerner's preps!

GoodSam and Rellgar like this.
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Denton, don't try to "Bogart" it for the south. Us over here in Jefferson love it also. It is a big part of our diets.
    Denton likes this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gunn View Post
    Denton, don't try to "Bogart" it for the south. Us over here in Jefferson love it also. It is a big part of our diets.
    I sometimes forget y'all are pretty much like us.
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

Don't be cutting into my PB supply either @Denton , it is a staple of my diet.
    Denton likes this.
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post

OK, so we're talking about one year here unopened for the standard Peter Pan, Jiffy, stuff. The natural stuff doesn't even last half that long which is what I figured. However, the expiration dates are probably manufacturer recommended which means it could probably go for another 6 months to a year after that which is about as long as I could possibly expect to be around in my current situation if SHTF. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by GoodSam; 09-30-2018 at 10:51 PM.
    Denton likes this.

Super Moderator

OK, so we're talking about one year here unopened for the standard Peter Pan, Jiffy, stuff. The natural stuff doesn't even last half that long which is what I figured. However, the expiration dates are probably manufacturer recommended which means it could probably go for another 6 months to year after that which is about as long as I could possibly expect to be around in my current situation if SHTF. Thanks for the info.
    Oils go rancid very quickly. That's the problem. Peanut butter has a lot of oil.
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links