Question regarding Peanut Butter. - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Question regarding Peanut Butter.

This is a discussion on Question regarding Peanut Butter. within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by GoodSam OK, so we're talking about one year here unopened for the standard Peter Pan, Jiffy, stuff. The natural stuff doesn't even ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Question regarding Peanut Butter.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSam View Post
    OK, so we're talking about one year here unopened for the standard Peter Pan, Jiffy, stuff. The natural stuff doesn't even last half that long which is what I figured. However, the expiration dates are probably manufacturer recommended which means it could probably go for another 6 months to a year after that which is about as long as I could possibly expect to be around in my current situation if SHTF. Thanks for the info.
    I have peanut butter much older then a year (maybe 4 years old) still good... I will check but pretty sure the date on it is best buy not an expiration date.
    what foods still have an expiration date... even milk is best buy
    Be a Berean

Perhaps I should've specified the time frame. I am not talking about decades worth of storage only a few years tops but thanks for the info. I was unaware there was dehydrated "prepper" peanut butter on the market.

all kinds of regular use foods that are pantry rotational storage >>> set up racking that makes the rotation system eazier - mark everything going into the pantry with a buy date - most retail shelf items have upwards of 5 years storage regardless of the manufacturer's suggested termination date .....
    dwight55 likes this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

The type that last the longest is penuts themselfs whole in the shell grow a new crop every year. For long term food you have to grow it. Penut butter in a normal jar last long enough without doing anything special after that be ready to grow your own. Or grow what you can and trade for it.
    Last edited by RJAMES; 10-01-2018 at 05:59 AM.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Don't forget to stock up on a 2 to 3 ratio of Welch's grape jelly to go with that Skippy chunky peanut butter.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Someone at work introduced me to the idea of powdered peanut butter. When they first brought it up, I thought blasphemy, they should have their rotten tongue cut out. Then I tried it... wasn't half bad. In fact I got used to it. I take it camping and such.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

I vac pack the PB powder in ball jars with a food saver. Gotta be careful and use a coffee filter up in the lid attachment to keep the power out of the pump mechanism though. works well!
    Annie likes this.

Super Moderator

It just so happens that I'm eating an apple with Great Value peanut butter right now. Purchase date: 12/16, best by date:09/17. So I can confirm it tastes fine.
    dwight55 likes this.
    "But in the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph"--OL Fatima

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    It just so happens that I'm eating an apple with Great Value peanut butter right now. Purchase date: 12/16, best by date:09/17. So I can confirm it tastes fine.
    I'm actually of the opinion that there is no such thing as "bad" peanut butter.

Some is just a bit better than the others.

Skippy Crunchy wears the crown in my dietary circle but YMMV.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Annie likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

This may be a silly question but I wanted to know what type of peanut butter will last the longest, preferably one that doesn't contain any sugar and would keep it's consistency and remain spreadable for a long period of time.

I used to buy the all natural kind with the oil on top that needs to be mixed before use but I came to the realization that these types, if left to sit for too long will harden and solidify and become very difficult to mix later on. These types are also more expensive and I am really watching my budget and I want to make the best choices at the cheapest prices.

Any suggestions for a good inexpensive peanut butter without sugar or other unwanted additives that will last and remain spreadable? Or should I just stick with Peter Pan, Jiffy, etc.?
    It's the fat that will make it rancid.
    Very old peanuts doesn't taste good, and I imagine the same for very old peanutbutter.

Perhaps I should've specified the time frame. I am not talking about decades worth of storage only a few years tops but thanks for the info. I was unaware there was dehydrated "prepper" peanut butter on the market.
    I find that the brand Jiff has a longer best-before date than Kraft. I don't know what other brands you've got available.
    Check out and compare best-before dates.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links