Coffee talk - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Coffee talk

This is a discussion on Coffee talk within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; @ Inor is the man to chime in on this one....

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Coffee talk

@Inor is the man to chime in on this one.

I am storing coffee the way I store other dry good. I pack in Mylar and 5 gallon buckets. I know beans will last longer but I figure even if the coffee degrades a bit over time, it's still coffee! If the world is going to hell in a hand basket coffee will be a premium luxury for the wife and I.
    Rellgar likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I have done the cold press way in the past.

Grind the bean, put the grounds into a French press, add cold water, let steep over night.

Press in the morning and then heat.

It was a good cup of coffee.
    Rellgar and agmccall like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    @Inor is the man to chime in on this one.
    Roger that.

Coffee roaster extraordinaire!

I'm glad your brought this up as a topic, I hadn't given it any thought. Coffee is sold and served here just about anywhere. Where I go, they give you a free one with the one you bought, which I take home. I'll buy a pound of finely ground coffee for my hot coffee, but most of the stuff I drink is iced, and I have a refrigerator full of that.

Do you think that freezing is all that's needed for long term storage?

Raw (unroasted) coffee will last for years. All you need is a black iron pan to roast them.
    Roasted coffee starts loosing it's flavor relatively fast.
    Freeze dried coffee is supposed to last for ever. Just like Twinkies.
    It is possible to grow your own coffee plants. But in northern states you will need a green house. And it will take a couple of years before a plant will give you beans. I'm still waiting...
    One picture was last year. Newer picture taken under led grow lamps. Didn't come out too well.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    inceptor, Inor, Rellgar and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by deserth3 View Post
    Raw (unroasted) coffee will last for years. All you need is a black iron pan to roast them.
    Roasted coffee starts loosing it's flavor relatively fast.
    Freeze dried coffee is supposed to last for ever. Just like Twinkies.
    It is possible to grow your own coffee plants. But in northern states you will need a green house. And it will take a couple of years before a plant will give you beans. I'm still waiting...
    One picture was last year. Newer picture taken under led grow lamps. Didn't come out too well.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    @deserth3 is 100% accurate!

We have been storing and roasting our own beans for several years now. Not only does it taste far better than anything you can buy, it is also a whole lot cheaper. Plus, it is easy-peasy to do.

There are absolutely no special storage requirements for storing the green beans. I just leave them in the burlap sacks they come in and stash them on a bottom shelf in the pantry. When I get down to only having 100 pounds on hand, I just buy another 50 pound sack.

I have not yet tried growing my own, but that is definitely on the short list to try. There is a coffee growers club in Tucson. I have not yet figured out if M.T. Acres is at too high of an elevation for me to plant them in the ground or if I will have to plant them in planters and pull them into the garage in the winter.

If you are a coffee-whore like me and Mrs Inor, storing and roasting green beans should be the easiest decision you can ever make!
    Rellgar likes this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

An ad for one of our local asian markets. At the far right about half way down is an add for coffee (100 packets for one cup each with coffee sugar and creamer ) at less than $0.10 per serving.

Tastes great

Weekly Sales at Korean Supermarket | Lotte Plaza
    It's all true, give or take a lie or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Old Man View Post
    An ad for one of our local asian markets. At the far right about half way down is an add for coffee (100 packets for one cup each with coffee sugar and creamer ) at less than $0.10 per serving.

Tastes great

Weekly Sales at Korean Supermarket | Lotte Plaza
    Not a bad thing for storage. Amazon sells it but its 23.97 which is not bad all things considered.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Frenc.../dp/B01BMY9CRO

I do have a place to try and grow coffee. It would not be easy in Wisconsin. I am sure my wife would give up some space in her plant room.
    Of course the Dragon would have to move out.
    Coffee talk-100_3276.jpg
    inceptor and Inor like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links