Weed Every Prepper Should Know About
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Weed Every Prepper Should Know About within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; For those interested..... During a SHTF situation, pain could become an annoyance for some, but unbearable for others. If doctors are scarce and medicine becomes ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Weed Every Prepper Should Know About

For those interested.....

During a SHTF situation, pain could become an annoyance for some, but unbearable for others. If doctors are scarce and medicine becomes even scarcer, this one little weed, found all over North America and similar to morphine, could be a saving grace.

Lactuca Virosa is the scientific term for the morphine-like plant, and many people have used it in place of addictive prescription pain medication, like opioids. The plant is called “wild lettuce,” and it’s fairly abundant. Known as a weed to most, it gets plucked from lawns and tossed in compost piles, but it’s important to know what it can do, and how safe it actually is.

Wild lettuce is a leafy and tall plant, with small yellow buds, and could be growing right outside your door. More commonly found in North America and England, it’s a cousin to the lettuce we typically see at the grocery store. It’s also referred to as bitter lettuce, or more appropriately for the purpose discussed here, opium lettuce.
    Similar To Morphine: The Weed Every Prepper Should Know About
    Stockton, Redneck, Gunn and 4 others like this.

My condo association fees go to eradicating these.

This was definitely the best post I've read all day.
    RedLion and Annie like this.

Have some drying out in the barn
    SKEEF and Annie like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Nice to know. I have a number of books on local, regional and other plants and herbs and how to prepare them for different needs. Maybe priceless someday.
    RedLion and 0rocky like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.......

Lot of plants like that for sure. As you read in the link they mak tea and vape it smoke it. They aren't doing that for pain relief it just another high. I have had morphine a few times in my life out side a hospital from injuries. I am dam glade I can go down to the Walgreen and pick some put. Dam that warn rush that hits your head and all is good .
    I amazed at how many people in Wisconsin don't know of the many use of the Burdoc weed.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by No Body View Post
    Have some drying out in the barn
    Reminds me of my old pal Vandene DeVinney ..... oh well, I would have to kill ya if I went on any further.
    No Body likes this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

So how do you folks process it? Do you dry the whole plant & make a tea? My understanding is the most chemical is in the milky sap & that the native Americans would harvest & dry this.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    So how do you folks process it? Do you dry the whole plant & make a tea? My understanding is the most chemical is in the milky sap & that the native Americans would harvest & dry this.
    Since I'm just learning about it and I'm going to be the guinea pig, I'm starting with drying the leaves out to make a tea. I also didn't want to take the whole plant down till after it goes to seed so I can save some of them. Thought I only had one plant that I could actually identify. Found a couple more the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by No Body View Post
    Since I'm just learning about it and I'm going to be the guinea pig, I'm starting with drying the leaves out to make a tea. I also didn't want to take the whole plant down till after it goes to seed so I can save some of them. Thought I only had one plant that I could actually identify. Found a couple more the other day.
    My understanding is you get some benefit from the leaves but the compound is concentrated in the milky sap and most concentrated in a mature plant that has flowered. They say you cut off the top of the plant & scrape the sap, then every day or so, come back & cut a bit more off & keep harvesting the sap.

Seems the hard part is distinguishing this wild lettuce from a relative... prickly lettuce. Prickly has some of the compound but not as much as wild lettuce.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links