Natural Insect Repellents - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Natural Insect Repellents

This is a discussion on Natural Insect Repellents within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Prepared One You know I have never even thought about storing up DEET until you just mentioned it. How smart am I? ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Natural Insect Repellents

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    You know I have never even thought about storing up DEET until you just mentioned it. How smart am I? Adding to the list.
    I bought a large spray bottle of permethrin and a bottle of 98% DEET last week.

I did some research beforehand and read a few articles that stated...DEET is the best fish repellent known to man. Just a few parts per million will cause fish to run (swim) and hide.

The articles recommend keeping DEET away from any fishing tackle and out of your tackle box. Just baiting a hook with DEET remnants on your hands will keep the fish away.

Just thought I'd pass that along.....
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

Nothing beats Deet, that I have found. If you are going to be in on spot for a time, like at a camp. Little smoke fires seem to help a lot in keeping the mosquitos away, along with a few other critters. Just a small fire then apply green grass, green leaves or perhaps a rag, although it smells bad, it does seem to reduce the pests quite a bit.

Lavender. It's all you need.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Hidden Content Wouldn't it be nice.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    I thought this would be the best place to post these questions?

The Inors discovered sometime ago a small insect we know and hate here in the south called the Chigger...but there are also the Mosquitoes and other stinging, biting, burrowing insects that will make your nights a living Hell if your out sleeping on the ground.

(and for anyone claiming their Mosquito as their State Bird really needs to see the ones in Kentucky, whose bite easily produces quarter to half dollar size welts on you. They are by far the largest and meanest I have ever seen and I have been in every southern state from Southern California to the Florida Keys and an ass load of African countries.)

1. What are some effective HOME MADE Insect repellents? (i.e from things found naturally, not store bought).

2. I have always understood Urine is an effective natural solution for fungus growth, such as Athletes Foot, does anyone have information that refutes that or other uses for it, (other than drinking it for survival purposes...which I don't advise because if your so thirsty you need to drink your urine, chances are your urine is very high in Urea content.).
    Catnip might be an option.

sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/08/010828075659.htm

Copy and paste or you can do a search for catnip repellent.

Quote Originally Posted by No Body View Post
    Catnip might be an option.

sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/08/010828075659.htm

Copy and paste or you can do a search for catnip repellent.

Ok...thanks...No Mosquitoes..... but now how do I keep the damn cats off me?

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Deet works.
    If you are stationary, as in camp, hunting, etc-- get a Thermocell.
    That is the best 20 couple dollars you can spend!
    If I read it correctly, this puts off a burnt synthetic version of Chrysanthemums flowers, which is a natural insect repellents.
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_7713913_ch...repellent.html
    Last edited by Steve40th; 05-31-2017 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Ok...thanks...No Mosquitoes..... but now how do I keep the damn cats off me?
    Target practice. Or if your really hungry a source of meat that comes to you instead of you going to it.
    Old SF Guy likes this.

Just bought two citronella plants at Menards for$6 something each.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Citronella products work OK, and I've tried a few natural repellents with varied results but honestly, Deet products work the best, the more the better.

The best stuff I've used is 3M Ultrathon, found at some stores but Amazon is likely your best bet - https://www.amazon.com/3M-Ultrathon-.../dp/B004LA5SUC

This stuff is easy to find and works good too.

Though even being 40% Deet, the 3M still seems to work better and is only 30%

Banned

when you burn canna Lilly it is insectacidal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links