Off the shelf antibacterial/antiviral products
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Off the shelf antibacterial/antiviral products within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hi, I'm wondering what types of products you use for antibacterial/antiviral treatment? I know about Iodine being effective, and some recommend honey while some others ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Illini Warrior

Thread: Off the shelf antibacterial/antiviral products

Hi, I'm wondering what types of products you use for antibacterial/antiviral treatment?

I know about Iodine being effective, and some recommend honey while some others say its bogus (cant find any serious research on it). I read about the Dakins Solution in "Preventing infection in SHTF" thread. I'm a bit sceptical about hydrogen peroxide, since i've read about it destroying tissue.

I know some cleaning products can be used to purify water by germicide, but can then be used for preventing infection as well? There are clear warning to keep away from skin contact. What about plain old liquid soap?

The medicine "over here" is a bit different, i cant even go to the drug store and stock up on neosporin. Stuff like that is controlled strictly because of fears for antibiotic resistance. So, what can i stock up on?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Might want to search here & read the threads on using fish antibiotics for human use.

As i said, antibiotics is strictly controlled. Importing it and getting caught = jail.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by UnarmedSwede View Post
    As i said, antibiotics is strictly controlled. Importing it and getting caught = jail.
    We don't know your laws there. Here, these antibiotics for human use are controlled but the exact same ones for animal use (fish) are perfectly legal to order without a prescription. How are we supposed to know fish antibiotics are controlled in Sweden?

I suggest you don't act like a jerk if you want help here.

you seem to mixing the immediate cleansing and flushing of a cut and the longer term treatment of the cut .... little tough to talk about the latter without knowing what is available OTC ("over the counter" - shelf available) ... here in the US we have 1oz tubes of anti-infectives salves for $1US - clean/salve/bandage/repeat ....

here's a couple of articles on the wound basics ...

https://www.doomandbloom.net/medicalsuppliespart1/

https://www.doomandbloom.net/medical...-minor-wounds/

there's tons of additional articles on the more serious type wounds and resulting infections - but I don't see that being relevant to your prepping - way too restrictive to obtain the necessary supplies ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 04-18-2017 at 07:41 AM.
    Redneck and Camel923 like this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

For the record, i was not attacking anyone, just reiterating something i said earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    you seem to mixing the immediate cleansing and flushing of a cut and the longer term treatment of the cut .... little tough to talk about the latter without knowing what is available OTC ("over the counter" - shelf available) ... here in the US we have 1oz tubes of anti-infectives salves for $1US - clean/salve/bandage/repeat ....

here's a couple of articles on the wound basics ...

https://www.doomandbloom.net/medicalsuppliespart1/

https://www.doomandbloom.net/medical...-minor-wounds/

there's tons of additional articles on the more serious type wounds and resulting infections - but I don't see that being relevant to your prepping - way too restrictive to obtain the necessary supplies ....
    Yeah, i'm following Dr Bones & Nurse Amy on youtube amongst many others. I've seen all their videos and that is where i saw the Honey thing and wanted to know more.

I know it's restrictive, but i'm thinking of stuff like (as an example) Chlorhexidine. I've used it when i had a root canal and i could buy it over the counter. That could also be used to disinfect some cuts since i know it has some anti-bacterial properties and some limited antiviral ones so in theory it could be used to clean wounds. Suppose that if i used that, i would probably have to complement it with something that were more apt at dealing with cysts and viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by UnarmedSwede View Post
    For the record, i was not attacking anyone, just reiterating something i said earlier.

Yeah, i'm following Dr Bones & Nurse Amy on youtube amongst many others. I've seen all their videos and that is where i saw the Honey thing and wanted to know more.

I know it's restrictive, but i'm thinking of stuff like (as an example) Chlorhexidine. I've used it when i had a root canal and i could buy it over the counter. That could also be used to disinfect some cuts since i know it has some anti-bacterial properties and some limited antiviral ones so in theory it could be used to clean wounds. Suppose that if i used that, i would probably have to complement it with something that were more apt at dealing with cysts and viruses.

you might want to go the "native remedies" route more earnestly than it's necessary for preppers here - I personally look at herbal medicine as more of a long term backup to stocked modern medicines that are now readily available ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Listerine -the original nasty tasting stuff. peroxide, alcohol, witch-hazel. all these work great.
    and if you do decide to go native then make sure you learn what is what cause a nasty rash or reaction is no a good thing on top of a bleeding wound.
    oops

Sponsored Links