Best first aid gear - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Best first aid gear

This is a discussion on Best first aid gear within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; There isn't necessarily a "silver bullet" for first-aid, first you have to determine your scope and answer some questions: - Do you want an extensive ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Best first aid gear

There isn't necessarily a "silver bullet" for first-aid, first you have to determine your scope and answer some questions:
    - Do you want an extensive trauma kit? Or something to tuck inside your boot/your car door?
    - What is the idea? To be able to stop your own bleeding? Someone else? You want to TQ someone or give em a Saline Lock?
    - Weight consideration
    - Generalized or Specialized? Want something to stop all sorts of after-effects of a GSW, something to cure burns.

Most of this falls under casualty care, and will not take the place of a trained medical professional - I can put a TQ on your arm all day, but then what? I am not trying to be a dbag (I better not be, I just got here) but you have to identify what you want to do and know the limitations.

For a bear minimum "holy crap some dude just shot me and didn't hit me in the IZ but I only have one arm and need to stop bleeding out" would be a pair of medical shears, a TQ (CAT or whatever other cool-guy one you want to use) maybe some gauze or a pressure dressing and tape generally work. Some will add chest seals, flexible-braces, saline lock kits, some needle and string but there really isn't a one size fits all situation you will be able to carry all the time and have on you.

Of course having a Toolset is one thing - Skillset and Mindset need to follow, I'd pick up some books, attend a course (given by non-mallninja types) and get some practice too. Investment is only worth what you equally invest in yourself as far as knowledge/wisdom/training
    acidMia likes this.

Thanks, anothersofsurvivor, I appreciate the time you spent with that post and it helped. I have a pretty good first aid kit together and working on starting a blowout kit. I also have first aid training the level right under the paramedics. (expired) but I'm new to making my own kit. So I just asked this question to see if anyone had items that I haven't heard of that worked really well.
    Thanks again for your opinion!

BO-DACIOUS

Yes I'm making one for my needs, oddcaliber! And I will put my swiss army knife in, preponadime.
    Thanks for your help guys,

BO-DACIOUS

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

In my first aide bag I bought everything from Walmart , dollar store , and stocked up on some of my RX meds " I rotate them every other month " , I do have my Army trauma kit and medical bag also . and I have all of my Army first aide manuals from when I went to school in the Army to be a combat medic . you can get the manuals on line for free . @ http://www.survivalebooks.com/free%2...%20%20173p.pdf
    Operator6 likes this.
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

Look at military surplus. The military has put in many hours and much $$$ to test these products. The Israeli bandages are a really good design. So isn't the H bandage which is American in design and manufacturing. There is also the CAT Tourniquet/ SOFT Tourniquet. Which is also U.S. designed.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by Targetshooter View Post
    In my first aide bag I bought everything from Walmart , dollar store , and stocked up on some of my RX meds " I rotate them every other month " , I do have my Army trauma kit and medical bag also . and I have all of my Army first aide manuals from when I went to school in the Army to be a combat medic . you can get the manuals on line for free . @ http://www.survivalebooks.com/free%2...%20%20173p.pdf
    Can you rotate out antibiotics? With pharmacy?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
    Can you rotate out antibiotics? With pharmacy?
    I do not think so , what I do , I get my RX in a three month supply , so I rotate them per bottle every other month , that way if shtf and there are no meds I will still have a three month supply , the otc antibiotics I have I rotate by " sale by date " , most of them are good for a year .
    Steve40th likes this.
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

Yeah, I am prescribed oxycontin for pain and I need it to function. Luckily I don't abuse them And I have a few bottles unused. One in my bugout bag first aid kit and one in my edc bag Incase I need one while I'm out.

Bo

West Side of the Lower Pennisula of Michigan
    Greetings BO-DACIOUS and thank you for your question. Just to let you know I'm a paramedic and work with first aid supplies as a matter of course every time I clock in to work. Most of the first aid type equipment, gauze pads, bandages, blood pressure cuffs, and the like we get form a company called Moore Medical. They're a fairly large supplier of medical equipment and it serves well. When I'm restocking my personal first aid kits I usually just go to the local big box store. They have all the same sizes of things I use on my ambulance and in my experience work just fine. The nice thing is there's store brand gauze pads that cost a lot less than the name brand stuff and as I've said, works just as well. For a basic first aid kit that should serve just fine.

If you want anything more than just a basic first aid kit I would first recommend taking a first aid class or if you want to get more in depth Medic First Responder or even Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). Wilderness EMT classes classes can even teach you how to care for someone for days while helping them to get out of remote areas where definitive medical care isn't available. (sound like a SHTF situation anyone?)
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

Thanks warrior4. I don't have a big box store like you as I'm in Canada but I'll look online. I have the highest level first aid but it's expired.

Thanks a lot for your help.

BO-DACIOUS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links