Potassium Iodide (KI)
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Potassium Iodide (KI)

This is a discussion on Potassium Iodide (KI) within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; If you are planning on preparing for nuclear/radiation emergencies then check out these links. Frequently Asked Questions on Potassium Iodide (KI) You can print this ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Potassium Iodide (KI)

Potassium Iodide (KI)

If you are planning on preparing for nuclear/radiation emergencies then check out these links.

Frequently Asked Questions on Potassium Iodide (KI) You can print this page. Look for the print button towards the top, but under the title.

Here is a pdf. Save it to your printer.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/G.../UCM080542.pdf

If you look for Potassium Iodide tablets from retailers you will notice they all have different size pills. The above websites/pdf tell you what size dose to give for adults, children, and babies.

Here is a good listing I found for 14 pills of 130mg which is the recommended dose for adults. You can use a pill cutter to make smaller doses.

Potassium Iodide Tablets Iodine Pills 130mg Exp 2022 Thyroid Radiation Blocking | eBay

The good part is its made in the USA.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by MaterielGeneral View Post
    If you are planning on preparing for nuclear/radiation emergencies then check out these links.

Frequently Asked Questions on Potassium Iodide (KI) You can print this page. Look for the print button towards the top, but under the title.

Here is a pdf. Save it to your printer.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/G.../UCM080542.pdf

If you look for Potassium Iodide tablets from retailers you will notice they all have different size pills. The above websites/pdf tell you what size dose to give for adults, children, and babies.

Here is a good listing I found for 14 pills of 130mg which is the recommended dose for adults. You can use a pill cutter to make smaller doses.

Potassium Iodide Tablets Iodine Pills 130mg Exp 2022 Thyroid Radiation Blocking | eBay

The good part is its made in the USA.
    I purchased a 250g bottle of food grade crystalline KI after 9/11 and divided it into several containers, with dosage labeled by mass and size (as weighed on a balance) on the bottles. They are stored at my primary locations, BOB, and traveling first aid kit. If I remember correctly it was pretty cheap.

One other point I forgot to mention is that If you live near a nuke plant you may be able to get the pills for free from the health department. I know in Michigan you can. I just don't know if that is country wide. I did a quick search and their was quite a few states that issued the KI, you just had to live or work near a nuke plant. In Michigan it was a 10 mile radius.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

We have them here in Toronto. We live close to a nuclear generation station. The tablets are provide free for everyone in the household. They are good to 2022.

TVC

Just as an amateur chemist (albeit a new member to the forum), If you're going to buy KI for a nuclear accident (which, if that's the thing you prep for, is a very good idea, it most certainly is effective), don't waste money buying the pills unless you aren't planning on prepping for long term. Potassium Iodide is rather cheap for a medicinally useful compound in pure form. If you get lucky, $10/100g is a reasonable price to find. The only problem is that it's slightly regulated due to its ability to be turned into iodine (and be used for clandestine reductions). This is usually why its price is rather high, and thus your best prices will come from ebay sellers from china instead of lab suppliers.

Sorry, this might be more than was needed to be posted, but perhaps it will be useful to someone.

TVC ..... just keep on dazzling us with your brilliance.
    TVC likes this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TVC View Post
    Just as an amateur chemist (albeit a new member to the forum), If you're going to buy KI for a nuclear accident (which, if that's the thing you prep for, is a very good idea, it most certainly is effective), don't waste money buying the pills unless you aren't planning on prepping for long term. Potassium Iodide is rather cheap for a medicinally useful compound in pure form. If you get lucky, $10/100g is a reasonable price to find. The only problem is that it's slightly regulated due to its ability to be turned into iodine (and be used for clandestine reductions). This is usually why its price is rather high, and thus your best prices will come from ebay sellers from china instead of lab suppliers.

Sorry, this might be more than was needed to be posted, but perhaps it will be useful to someone.
    Iodine can be had on the cheap at any pharmacy. A mixture of KI and I2, the triodide disinfectant, e.g. betadine, as an alcoholic solution.

I am not aware of regulations on solid pure iodine. That is sold for emergency water purification as pure sublimated crystals. You can buy the crystals, even impure, and they will sublimate and purify on their own. Want iodide instead? oxidize it

Tell us what nefarious uses iodine has? This chemist would like to know.

I've used iodine to isomerize cis-alkenes to trans-alkenes in a mild processes. The product bis-dialkylsulfyl alkenes were then oxidized to the bis- sulfones and were useful as Diels-Alder ethene equivalents. The Diels-Alder adducts could be treated with magnesium metal in methanol to give a ethene Diels-Alder adduct. No need for high pressure ethene gases........

ANYWAY, what is the beef with iodine these days?
    Slippy and turbocrazed like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post

I am not aware of regulations on solid pure iodine.

Mad Trapper,

You are correct; there are no regulations on iodine (at least federal). I currently have a 500g bottle in my lab. There could perhaps be state laws in NJ. But that would be quite problematic for Merck and other companies in the industry in NJ.

We also use it for a wide variety of chemical reactions. And don't forget it is an old-school but effective stain for TLC.

ScientistPrepper

TVC

Quote Originally Posted by ScientistPrepper View Post
    Mad Trapper,

You are correct; there are no regulations on iodine (at least federal). I currently have a 500g bottle in my lab. There could perhaps be state laws in NJ. But that would be quite problematic for Merck and other companies in the industry in NJ.

We also use it for a wide variety of chemical reactions. And don't forget it is an old-school but effective stain for TLC.

ScientistPrepper
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Iodine can be had on the cheap at any pharmacy. A mixture of KI and I2, the triodide disinfectant, e.g. betadine, as an alcoholic solution.

I am not aware of regulations on solid pure iodine. That is sold for emergency water purification as pure sublimated crystals. You can buy the crystals, even impure, and they will sublimate and purify on their own. Want iodide instead? oxidize it

Tell us what nefarious uses iodine has? This chemist would like to know.

I've used iodine to isomerize cis-alkenes to trans-alkenes in a mild processes. The product bis-dialkylsulfyl alkenes were then oxidized to the bis- sulfones and were useful as Diels-Alder ethene equivalents. The Diels-Alder adducts could be treated with magnesium metal in methanol to give a ethene Diels-Alder adduct. No need for high pressure ethene gases........

ANYWAY, what is the beef with iodine these days?
    First off, I'm not from NJ, that's a nickname, you know, pronounced en-jay....

Second, there is indeed federal regulation on iodine. It is a DEA List I chemical (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEA_list_of_chemicals). I wouldn't expect a university or lab to have trouble getting it, but amateurs will. Obviously KI can easily be oxidized to I2, and thus, although not regulated itself (KI that is), it is still watched by the DEA people. Nice to see some chemists on here already (not being sarcastic, to be clear)! And although tincture of iodine is useful medically, as a source of consumable KI it would be useless, and as a source for clandestinely useable I2 it would be difficult to make profitable - getting solid I2 from it has low yields, and buying multiple bottles gets noticed by most major pharmacies as questionable.

As to its clandestine use, it can be used in conjunction with red phosphorus as an old-school (like, A.I.Vogel old school) reduction method for epinephrine-related compounds.

That's an interesting isomerization reaction, I could have swore that mechanism required gas-phase conditions - apparently not. And I've always thought the Diels-Alder was interesting...

Nathan (I'll go by this from now on to avoid confusions with the state of NJ...)

Well well, our new little member. A chemistry student from NJ I see?

Ask me if I have any jokes about sodium?

Thanks,

Your new friend,

Slippy

Quote Originally Posted by TVC View Post
    First off, I'm not from NJ, that's a nickname, you know, pronounced en-jay....

Second, there is indeed federal regulation on iodine. It is a DEA List I chemical (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEA_list_of_chemicals). I wouldn't expect a university or lab to have trouble getting it, but amateurs will. Obviously KI can easily be oxidized to I2, and thus, although not regulated itself (KI that is), it is still watched by the DEA people. Nice to see some chemists on here already (not being sarcastic, to be clear)! And although tincture of iodine is useful medically, as a source of consumable KI it would be useless, and as a source for clandestinely useable I2 it would be difficult to make profitable - getting solid I2 from it has low yields, and buying multiple bottles gets noticed by most major pharmacies as questionable.

As to its clandestine use, it can be used in conjunction with red phosphorus as an old-school (like, A.I.Vogel old school) reduction method for epinephrine-related compounds.

That's an interesting isomerization reaction, I could have swore that mechanism required gas-phase conditions - apparently not. And I've always thought the Diels-Alder was interesting...

Nathan (I'll go by this from now on to avoid confusions with the state of NJ...)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links