Braces of all kinds
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Braces of all kinds

This is a discussion on Braces of all kinds within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Just a reminder about needing braces in your first aid supplies. I have ankle, knee and wrist braces in my kit. However, I recently injured ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By Auntie
  • 1 Post By Denton
  • 2 Post By Operator6
  • 1 Post By Slippy
  • 2 Post By NotTooProudToHide
  • 1 Post By 7052
  • 2 Post By 8301

Thread: Braces of all kinds

Retired Moderator

Braces of all kinds

Just a reminder about needing braces in your first aid supplies. I have ankle, knee and wrist braces in my kit. However, I recently injured myself and found that the wrist brace I have while offering support does not immobilize the wrist. So I now have a wrist brace for what I need. I am looking at knee and ankle braces and would appreciate any suggestions on the best ones to add to my kit. I am also wondering if the back brace I have will be sufficient.

FYI I broke my arm by the wrist area. Ooops, I waited to long to have it "properly taken care of". I thought it was just a really bad sprain. My sister made me go to the doctors to find out what was going on. So now I am stuck in my brace for 4 weeks.
    Denton, Slippy and 7052 like this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Super Moderator

Don't forget about a neck brace!
    Auntie likes this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Banned

I really can't help you Auntie but I would like to convey a method I've used for treating tendonitis around the elbows, AKA tennis elbow.

Take an old cotton sock and cut the toe and top off of it. Put crushed ice into a ziplock and slide the sock on your arm positioning the heel of the sock over your elbow. Tuck the ice pack into the sock positioned over the pain.......

Do that about 7-8 times a day and take over the counter ibuprofen, especially at night before bed and 1st thing in the morning.

It works but you must be consistent.

This holds the ice in position for you while you continue your day.
    Denton and Auntie like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    Just a reminder about needing braces in your first aid supplies. I have ankle, knee and wrist braces in my kit. However, I recently injured myself and found that the wrist brace I have while offering support does not immobilize the wrist. So I now have a wrist brace for what I need. I am looking at knee and ankle braces and would appreciate any suggestions on the best ones to add to my kit. I am also wondering if the back brace I have will be sufficient.

FYI I broke my arm by the wrist area. Ooops, I waited to long to have it "properly taken care of". I thought it was just a really bad sprain. My sister made me go to the doctors to find out what was going on. So now I am stuck in my brace for 4 weeks.
    Get well soon Auntie!
    Auntie likes this.

As a former athlete I understand and always have a couple rolls of athletic tape and prewrap in the house. That stuff works wonders
    Auntie and 7052 like this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Don't forget about a neck brace!
    Huh. I have most types of braces (from various injuries family members suffered over the years, etc), but somehow I NEVER even thought of a neck brace. Good catch!

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    Auntie, make sure you take care of that! 18 years ago I broke my right wrist being stupid and hitting a friend's heavy bag when I had no idea WTH I was doing. Broke the Scaphoid bone (boxer's fracture I believe they call it). I had no insurance at the time, so I paid to get a cast, and wore it for like 6 or 8 weeks. They cut it off, did the XRAYs, and said it looked to be healing, but it would be months before it was fully healed. Normally I heal like a beast, even the doctors ar amazed at how quickly I heal from injury, so I just ASSumed this would be no different. Silly me.

Fast forward 17 years, and the wrist, which went through periods of pain every 6 months or so, was now constantly hurting and I was unable even to hold a full pop-can without pain. Went back in and found out that the bone had in fact never healed, and had been broken for 17 years! Turns out that it developed fibrous tissue that prevented the bone from knitting together, but still provided some limited support. Would up having to have surgery at the end of last year to take bone from the Iliac Crest of my hip to fill the gap in the bone, and am the proud owner of a titanium screw permanently in my wrist and a cool new scar. I could share some crazy pics, but that might just be a bit personal! lol

Bottom line, with everything coming up in the future, make sure you take care of it, and do your follow-ups w/ your doctor! Don't just ASSume it will heal like I did.
    Auntie likes this.

I've collected a few braces from injuries over the years but it's never been a focus of my medical supplies acquisitions. I carry SAM splints in my car bag and also a few at home.

Super Moderator

Wow there's so much to think about when preparing. There's just a never ending list of supplies to be had.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

None

Just ordered another set of Ace wraps today. They loose their elasticity after about 4-5 years and need to be replaced.
    Auntie and Annie like this.

Sponsored Links