Trauma Kits - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Trauma Kits

This is a discussion on Trauma Kits within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I appreciate all the feedback and opinions....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Trauma Kits

I appreciate all the feedback and opinions.
    dwight55 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by artboy View Post
    what dwight55 said sums it up~~ "
    Having the equipment is the first and MOST IMPORTANT part of providing first aid / trauma care. Anyone with any training at all will do the best he/she can under the circumstances, . . . but if they do not have the tools, . . . they cannot do anything." Better to have something to provide help than nothing at all??
    Medical gear is much like a gun, if you aren't proficient, then it does you little good.

I am all about skills, skills, skills. Cause when I know the mechanics of the "tools" that we use to solve problems then I can identify materials on hand with the same properties.
    I agree ideally we always WANT to have the tools, however, we NEED the skills to deploy them effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Medic33 View Post
    tc556 -good post dude, labeling and glo-sticks very important. same to Sitting elf -I agree -excactly.
    sar-1 -splinting requires more then a turney -same with impaled objects. and also can you explain why you would need to pack a wound with gauze( you know like say for a car wreck?)-just asking dude and yes any training is priceless and most people would be better off spending 35 bucks on roller gauze and ace wraps than 135 on an advancedtacticalendofcivilizationtheraptureiscomin g medical kit.
    Well Medic, you probably know more than I do. But let me refer back to my BCON training.

The purpose of packing a wound is to stop the bleed, especially something that is a deep gash. If you apply pressure just over the surface, then you have the blood pooling inside the wound and leaking out the sides. Like a compound fracture, something one could commonly encounter in a severe motor vehicle incident, can have severed veins and arteries. That said your vein or artery is not as large as the surface area of the fracture. If you are packing the wound you are able to more effectively seal and apply pressure. Someone just throwing gauze on top is not stopping or slowing the source of the leak even with pressure.

In response to the impaled objects and splinting. A Sam splint is approx 10$ even after a couple CAT's and gauze for 139$ you would have enough left over for a couple at least.
    Impaled objects can be treated with gauze wrap, just stabilize the object, and seal the wound surface around the object, if the object is not removed then it should aid in slowing the bleed and clotting.

But hey that is just the knowledge of an amateur, I always love learning new things, did I miss anything?

p.s. tournequets are not effective on arm pits or the thigh's hip joint ( an area of angle ) or neck for this wound packing with direct pressure is preferred.
    Additionally these techniques are meant for the arms and legs, severe trauma to the torso, requires a surgeon asap for best result. As in this region
    the likely hood of damaged organs or internal bleeding is a good possibility and no amount of pressure external will likely seal internal bleeding.
    Last edited by SAR-1L; 07-09-2016 at 08:13 PM.
    SittingElf, Medic33 and Maol9 like this.
    Firearm & Personal Safety Training - Hidden Content
    Hidden Content ( Simple gear mod ideas & tutorials. )

Quote Originally Posted by SAR-1L View Post
    With all respect that bag is 139$, I can buy two CAT tourniquets, and a crap ton of wound packing materials for that price.
    From what I learned in BCON (Bleeding Control, this was a distilled version of the TCCC, Tactical Combat Casualty Care ) training,
    Anything beyond a Tourniquet or wound packed with sterile gauze is pretty much going to require a surgeon.
    So buy an M17 bag surplus for $25 and stock it as you're able to afford to. Honestly, I got my bag as a dumpster diving rescue when my unit tossed a few when they were issued new ones ten years ago, then filled it with my own stuff that had out-grown my surplus CLS bag at the time, then have continued to keep it stocked.
    SAR-1L likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

nope, you got your bases covered SAR. only question I see is you will eventually have to remove that packing material -then what?
    and I say if there is no medical treatment center available any more and the person is banged up that bad -you know what's next.
    about the maybe a trained surgeon will pick up your kit and save you -maybe -maybe not if the chit is that bad out in the world they might just scadoodle with you stuff and leave you be.
    oops

something else you may or not know -you treat an injured person to the level of medical skill you have -so if you have none and you start treating major injuries other than just keeping the airway open and the person breathing you may face a serious lawsuit might even get charged with practicing medicine without a license ( don't try the good Samaritan law crap cause it doesn't cover you that far ). Now in a all civilization is gone as we know it what do you got to loose I guess nothing so go for it.
    oops

Quote Originally Posted by artboy View Post
    what dwight55 said sums it up~~ "
    Having the equipment is the first and MOST IMPORTANT part of providing first aid / trauma care. Anyone with any training at all will do the best he/she can under the circumstances, . . . but if they do not have the tools, . . . they cannot do anything." Better to have something to provide help than nothing at all??
    nope, you got your bases covered SAR. only question I see is you will eventually have to remove that packing material -then what?
    and I say if there is no medical treatment center available any more and the person is banged up that bad -you know what's next.
    about the maybe a trained surgeon will pick up your kit and save you -maybe -maybe not if the chit is that bad out in the world they might just scadoodle with you stuff and leave you be.
    So the instructor @ Rita Bass stated to the class I attended better to stop the bleeding and use papertowels even AS LONG AS IT IS STERILE, or sterile as possible, than for the person to bleed out.
    The material can be removed, now the surgeon may be cursing and swearing at you, but, without stopping the bleeding you have a job for the mortician not the surgeon.

Once again having the right tools are always better than not having the tools, however I am extremely selective in my tool kits, and only pack what I can effective use.
    The exception to this personally would be if I was operating with a fire team of 5 to 6 guys which I know of one which has combat medic training,
    and as requested team members carry specific equipment due to concern of running short.

^^^^again when there is no surgeon>>>>+ -when a person goes into shock( cause-n effect; pour profusion of blood through the tissues) you do know that the bleeding drops to minimal even on a complete amputation.
    I am not trying to burst your bubble SAR -just pointing out that doing more sometimes is not the best course of action each and every possible injury is different and there is no set of instructions only a brief outline for a reference and well sometime it can get you into a legal battle with the person you just saved. plus an excellent packing material is tampons they are designed to soak up fluids and are cheap, just some FYI.
    oops

^^^^again when there is no surgeon>>>>+ -when a person goes into shock( cause-n effect; pour profusion of blood through the tissues) you do know that the bleeding drops to minimal even on a complete amputation.
    I am not trying to burst your bubble SAR -just pointing out that doing more sometimes is not the best course of action each and every possible injury is different and there is no set of instructions only a brief outline for a reference and well sometime it can get you into a legal battle with the person you just saved. plus an excellent packing material is tampons they are designed to soak up fluids and are cheap, just some FYI.
    Absolutely Medic, I won't ever have a 100% bullet proof answer ( no pun intended. ) that works for every scenario and you list some great points. So don't consider it bubble bursted, just great additional info that could be helpful to anyone on the forum
    Maol9 likes this.

West Side of the Lower Pennisula of Michigan
    RedLion, bag looks good and I also applaud you for wanting to get EMT-B training. As I've said many times before when it comes to medicine it's all well and good to have all the fun fancy toys, but if you don't know how to use them they're pretty much worthless. Pre-SHTF a civilian probably doesn't have very much need for a lot of trauma gear. I work in a fairly busy urban EMS system and I only respond on major trauma's maybe 5-10 times a month if I'm lucky. The vast majority of my calls are medical not trauma in nature. Knowing how to treat medical issues is a lot more likely than traumatic injuries. Post-SHTF I'm sure there will probably be a lot bigger call for traumatic injury so it's good to have a good kit for it. To really prepare for SHTF make sure you know how to provide ongoing care as there may not be definitive hospital level care to bring your sick and injured to. A lot of what I and other EMS providers do is simply to stabilize patients for transport to a hospital so they can get the real definitive care they need. When there is no hospital available it's all on you, so remember that as well.
    SAR-1L likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links