Head Lice -...
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Head Lice -...

This is a discussion on Head Lice -... within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; So Lice on my 6yr old daughter brought me into the mix here... Does anyone have experience with natural remedies of lice? I did some ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Head Lice -...

Head Lice -...

So Lice on my 6yr old daughter brought me into the mix here... Does anyone have experience with natural remedies of lice?
    I did some permetherin shampoo treatment, and vinagar wash... rinse... can anyone help?

I figured this might be a relevant topic for when tshtf... bed bugs too.... ! I just had my dealings with them a couple of months ago.... (not at my house but at a rental) had to have the place tented.... $1000.....

Thanks.....
    bigwheel likes this.

bsides washing the bedding and clothes daily,
    coconut oil.
    baking soda.
    nix soap.
    shave the head (may be traumatic for a girl).
    maybe daily swim and dunk in the swimming pool after you shock the water both regularly as in daily.
    oops

Hey thanks for the pool idea... I just put up a doughboy... its going to need some shocking... as a kid, I swam in some hot stuff... no wonder I never got lice.. lol
    What is nix soap?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

nix=off the shelf lice soap.
    oops

My suggestion (and I did this successfully a couple times) is get some cheap white conditioner, a couple boxes of white Kleenex, and a nit comb. Put a lot of conditioner on the child's hair. Enough to thoroughly coat it. You have about 20 minutes where the lice won't move. Start combing through the hair with the nit comb, wiping the conditioner off on the tissue. The reason for the white conditioner and tissues is that you can see how much/how little of the little buggers you're getting out. You will probably have to do this 3 nights in a row.

Also, vacuum daily. Place any affected pillows in an air tight bag for a couple weeks (or replace when the lice are gone). Wash bedding in hot water daily until you're all clear.

I've also read that tea tree oil shampoo is a deterrent so you might buy some and have the kids use it once a week.

Little girls share hair items and are more prone to put their heads together while playing. So I'd caution her about all of that (and remind her every so often).

Good luck!! I've dealt with head lice way too many times, it's no fun.
    8301 likes this.

We've dealt with lice at our house several times. The oldest daughter has very fine hair and a lot of the nit combs just would not remove the nits no matter what we did. We got the "nit free terminator" comb and it was much better at getting the nits out. We also had tried many shampoos and sprays and none seem to work well for the oldest daughter. We ended up finding a natural method using olive oil and vinegar. The basics of it was that you treat the hair with olive oil and put a shower cap on and left it in over night. In the morning you rinsed with vinegar and combed through for nits. This was done a schedule based on the life cycle and hatching cycle of the lice and had to be done every so often just to be sure they were all gone. We also have been using "Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel Crème Conditioner". We've used the shampoo, but once it runs out we'll just stick with the conditioner. It can be used as a leave in conditioner, so while the hair is still wet, just apply it and rub it in and let it dry. They've had lice multiple times at school and at daycare and neither kids have gotten it anymore.
    MisterMills357 likes this.

I know that everyone is not going to like this but it works ever time and in about 5 minutes. You must use a patrolium product - mineral spirits in particular. It kills everything, adults young eggs, all of it.

Be forewarned, it burns but it is better then dealing with lice for weeks at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaowlpoop View Post
    I know that everyone is not going to like this but it works ever time and in about 5 minutes. You must use a patrolium product - mineral spirits in particular. It kills everything, adults young eggs, all of it.

Be forewarned, it burns but it is better then dealing with lice for weeks at a time.
    Anyone else heard of this?...in a long term SHTF issue where daily hygiene will possibly suffer...this could definitely be useful.

Head shave. Wash all clothing, towels etc and bedding in scalding hot water and soap and disinfect the bedroom, car and washroom at the least.
    TG likes this.
    Hidden Content Wouldn't it be nice.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gaowlpoop View Post

Remove all sources of ignition in the area. We use this stuff to fuel our torpedo heaters!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links