Burns 101 - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Burns 101

This is a discussion on Burns 101 within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by tirednurse I have to agree with you. if we are in a SHTF situation the person getting a 3rd* wound is going ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Burns 101

Quote Originally Posted by tirednurse View Post
    I have to agree with you. if we are in a SHTF situation the person getting a 3rd* wound is going to be in serious trouble and probably will die if the wound is extensive. Preventing infection will be pretty much impossible and the amount of fluid a person can lose from a wound of this depth could not be easily replaced. Because we are able to access medical luxuries now like IV fluids, and the IV equipment now so easily, I think people forget how hard this will be to attain if TSHTF. That along with someone who knows how to use it with out killing the person or adding an additional portal for infection.

I hate to be so negative but I get tired of the useless information like this that gets past off, giving people false impressions that they will be able to just pick up and cure all if they need to. Once again I have to say that unless you know what you are doing, do not even think it is a good idea to try to stab your friends with a needle and try to give them IV fluids. If you think this is some thing you have to know, then find a class and learn how to do it. Better yet, become a paramedic.

Every one would be better off learning basic first aid and most important how to prevent injuries instead of trying to fix them after they happen
    Im only posting it just as an FYI. Doesn't mean you have to follow the entire suggestion. Its only a to give people some general info. If you have a problem with it then just delete the thread then. Im not a nurse but i have seen my fair shair of stuff in the military. Its not useless information.

Quote Originally Posted by twiztedsig View Post
    Im only posting it just as an FYI. Doesn't mean you have to follow the entire suggestion. Its only a to give people some general info. If you have a problem with it then just delete the thread then. Im not a nurse but i have seen my fair shair of stuff in the military. Its not useless information.
    If you kept the information to the basics and taught people something they could actually do, then I would consider this "useful information". I find it very irritating to see people copy and pasting information on this forum. This looks like it came straight out of a text book. Information provided should be something that the normal every day person could use because that is who is here. 99.9% of the people who use this site are not ever going to use the information you posted because it is either so far advanced in what they have the skill to do or the supplies that they could obtain.

If you think you have some information to teach, then by all means go for it. I spend my day doing the same thing on a variety of subjects, but I know how to tailor the information to the needs of my patients, or colleagues.

The problem with coconut oil, or any oily substance is that the burn needs to stop burning first. If you put oil on it you will hold in the heat and cause more damage. You are better off cooling the wound first and then adding a healing agent which could be your coconut oil if the burn is superficial. If we are talking about a full thickness burn this will not help
    Thank you for the correction as to full thickness. Having second degree burns, the coconut oil helped me.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

figure I will throw this out there
    if you have a light burn that will turn into a blister just put plain yellow mustard on it and leave it this will help stop the blisters from forming
    and thanks tired nurse for words of wisdom
    now back to my kiddie pool of shame
    I got done reading natures first aid handbook last month and it has allot of good information
    Last edited by gambit; 04-30-2016 at 08:19 AM.
    It happened before, it can happen again
    It happened there, it can happen here
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you
    no one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life

Quote Originally Posted by ffparamedic View Post
    Good post twisted. As far as the parkland formula it isn't going to do anyone any good with IV access, so equipment to gain it and knowledge to do it and then the amount of fluid to do it....

We'd be better off focusing on the home remedies we could in a shtf situation for a burn.
    I couldn't imagine not jumping into water to put my self out if I were on fire near the water. Seems like the fastest way to extinguish it and cool any flammable/melting clothing before it starts sticking to my skin (like polyester:..which I haven't worn since the 70's). Like it would do if I rolled around on the ground.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    Denton likes this.

my opinion on the treatment of wounds.

1) as with every injury, prevention is the best cure so don't be an idiot and take the precautions you need to not get burnt in the first place. this could be sunscreen, using proper protection when dealing with hot items, prevention of fires and so on. you people are smart enough to figure this out.

2) if you get burnt the first thing to do is to cool the burn as fast as possible. DO NOT USE ICE TO DO THIS. ice could cause its own problems including restricting blood flow and damage to more skin.

home remedies to cool a burn:
    the fastest and easiest is to run under cool water until the burn is cool. this could take 20-30 minutes. if this is not an option there are home methods to cool a burn.
    a) wet tea bags and apply to the wound. don't believe me? try it next time you get a burn. Not only will it help to cool the wound but it will also help to relieve the pain. Tea has a natural pain reliever so it is a great method for relieving tooth pain when held in the mouth. some of you maybe already know this.
    b) rubbing alcohol on a superficial wound will evaporate which causes a cooling effect.
    c) Vinegar will also cool the wound and in addition will relieve pain. It is also an antiseptic agent which will help clean the area and prevent infection
    d)Aloe as many of us know will cool the burn and aid in healing. if you have a plant, cut of a section the length of the burn area split it open, lay it over the burn area and wrap to keep in place.
    e) Honey will cool the wound, also is and antiseptic, and an antibiotic and a great substance in healing wounds. I use honey for many wounds I treat on my patients.
    f) there are essential oils that also help with burns but I am no expert at this so if you know anything useful add to this information.

3) Follow up treatment of the wound:
    Keep the wounded area clean and protected. treatment can be any of the suggestions above, over the counter treatments or your other favorite method of wound treatment. As with any wound we need to make sure the wound has what it needs to heal so we prevent infection by keeping it clean and protecting it.
    We also need to treat from within. Our bodies need enough fluid to function, which means at least 1.5 quarts daily but preferably 2-3 quarts. this does not mean water, fluid means any liquid. if you are not able to obtain enough to meet your bodies requirements or for some reason can not drink that much, you have some options.
    Fluid can include water, juice, milk, coffee and other obvious substances, but can also be soup, fruit -especially things like mellon which contain 99% water. some vegetables like celery and cucumbers also contain about 90% water.
    We also need fuel to heal. this means we need to eat foods with some carbohydrates to provide energy and even more important is a source of protein. Cells will not regenerate with out protein.
    Carbohydrates are foods that turn into sugar in our bodies. this could mean the obvious sugary foods, but are also foods like wheat (flour), and other grains vegetables, fruit
    Protein comes from meat of all kinds, dairy products-especially cottage cheese which can be made at home with milk and vinegar, and our prepper favorites, beans and rice.

As I said before if this is a full thickness wound you are probably screwed. This will require a lot more advanced treatment and most people will not have the knowledge or equipment to deal with them.
    Blendingin, Denton, Auntie and 1 others like this.

Great info tirednurse, your wealth of knowledge is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by New guy 101 View Post
    I couldn't imagine not jumping into water to put my self out if I were on fire near the water. Seems like the fastest way to extinguish it and cool any flammable/melting clothing before it starts sticking to my skin (like polyester:..which I haven't worn since the 70's). Like it would do if I rolled around on the ground.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    New guy I agree.... But one of the worst things about burns is the susceptibility to infections from the breakdown of our bodies front line of defense, the skin. Jumping into contaminated water for a serious burn is almost sure to kill the person through systemic infection. Especially if we're talking shtf type stuff with inadequate antibiotics.

I have to agree with you. if we are in a SHTF situation the person getting a 3rd* wound is going to be in serious trouble and probably will die if the wound is extensive. Preventing infection will be pretty much impossible and the amount of fluid a person can lose from a wound of this depth could not be easily replaced. Because we are able to access medical luxuries now like IV fluids, and the IV equipment now so easily, I think people forget how hard this will be to attain if TSHTF. That along with someone who knows how to use it with out killing the person or adding an additional portal for infection.

I hate to be so negative but I get tired of the useless information like this that gets past off, giving people false impressions that they will be able to just pick up and cure all if they need to. Once again I have to say that unless you know what you are doing, do not even think it is a good idea to try to stab your friends with a needle and try to give them IV fluids. If you think this is some thing you have to know, then find a class and learn how to do it. Better yet, become a paramedic.

Every one would be better off learning basic first aid and most important how to prevent injuries instead of trying to fix them after they happen

I agree 100%. unfortunately most people will not have the knowledge to use this information about IV fluids and the rest of the information doesn't really give us what is needed to solve the problem. As a matter of fact sounds exactly the way Trump speaks. lots of informations and boasting about useless drivel without a real solution.

Thank you for bringing us back down to earth TN
    Denton and Slippy like this.

my opinion on the treatment of wounds.

1) as with every injury, prevention is the best cure so don't be an idiot and take the precautions you need to not get burnt in the first place. this could be sunscreen, using proper protection when dealing with hot items, prevention of fires and so on. you people are smart enough to figure this out.

2) if you get burnt the first thing to do is to cool the burn as fast as possible. DO NOT USE ICE TO DO THIS. ice could cause its own problems including restricting blood flow and damage to more skin.

home remedies to cool a burn:
    the fastest and easiest is to run under cool water until the burn is cool. this could take 20-30 minutes. if this is not an option there are home methods to cool a burn.
    a) wet tea bags and apply to the wound. don't believe me? try it next time you get a burn. Not only will it help to cool the wound but it will also help to relieve the pain. Tea has a natural pain reliever so it is a great method for relieving tooth pain when held in the mouth. some of you maybe already know this.
    b) rubbing alcohol on a superficial wound will evaporate which causes a cooling effect.
    c) Vinegar will also cool the wound and in addition will relieve pain. It is also an antiseptic agent which will help clean the area and prevent infection
    d)Aloe as many of us know will cool the burn and aid in healing. if you have a plant, cut of a section the length of the burn area split it open, lay it over the burn area and wrap to keep in place.
    e) Honey will cool the wound, also is and antiseptic, and an antibiotic and a great substance in healing wounds. I use honey for many wounds I treat on my patients.
    f) there are essential oils that also help with burns but I am no expert at this so if you know anything useful add to this information.

3) Follow up treatment of the wound:
    Keep the wounded area clean and protected. treatment can be any of the suggestions above, over the counter treatments or your other favorite method of wound treatment. As with any wound we need to make sure the wound has what it needs to heal so we prevent infection by keeping it clean and protecting it.
    We also need to treat from within. Our bodies need enough fluid to function, which means at least 1.5 quarts daily but preferably 2-3 quarts. this does not mean water, fluid means any liquid. if you are not able to obtain enough to meet your bodies requirements or for some reason can not drink that much, you have some options.
    Fluid can include water, juice, milk, coffee and other obvious substances, but can also be soup, fruit -especially things like mellon which contain 99% water. some vegetables like celery and cucumbers also contain about 90% water.
    We also need fuel to heal. this means we need to eat foods with some carbohydrates to provide energy and even more important is a source of protein. Cells will not regenerate with out protein.
    Carbohydrates are foods that turn into sugar in our bodies. this could mean the obvious sugary foods, but are also foods like wheat (flour), and other grains vegetables, fruit
    Protein comes from meat of all kinds, dairy products-especially cottage cheese which can be made at home with milk and vinegar, and our prepper favorites, beans and rice.

As I said before if this is a full thickness wound you are probably screwed. This will require a lot more advanced treatment and most people will not have the knowledge or equipment to deal with them.

Thank you once again TN. I am copying this information and adding it to my first aid binder. I have never tried any of these but had heard and forgotten some of them. I too am guilt of automatically thinking about treatments with pharmacuticals that will have no place in our prepping plans because they will be imposible to replace when they run out.
    I have been trying to learn more practical or natural cures since I feel that so many things could happen to wipe out our modern cures and resources.
    I know you don't have time for much but I would love to follow you around with note book in hand to try to glean some of the information that seems to pour out of your. I wish I had half your knowledge.
    Denton and Slippy like this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links