Animal Antibiotics for People
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Animal Antibiotics for People within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Stuck thread by request. Share what you know about livestock and fish meds for people....

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Animal Antibiotics for People

Super Moderator

Stuck thread by request.

Share what you know about livestock and fish meds for people.
    twiztedsig, Auntie, SDF880 and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

This, from Tirednurse in another thread:

Azithromycin –used for respiratory infections, sinus infection, some ear infections
    Adult -500mg x 1 day, followed by 250mg x 4 days
    Child 10mg/kg x 1 day, followed by 5mg/kg x 4 days

Amoxicillin- Urinary, ear, anthrax, pneumonia, sinus, skin, respiratory
    Adult 500mg 2-3 times a day for 5-7 days
    Child 20-30mg/kg per day divided into 2 doses per day

Ciprofloxacin- urinary, sinus
    Adult 250mg twice a day for 7 days
    Child ≥1 year : 10-20 mg/kg q12hr; individual dose not to exceed 750 mg q12hr for 10-21 days

Keflex –skin wounds, urinary, ear, respiratory
    Adult 250 mg every 6 hours, ort a dose of 500 mg every 12 hours for 7 to 14 days
    Child 25-50mg/kg divided doses for 7 days

Remember these are common antiboitics and the common dosage. I can not prescribe and advise you that you will have to use any of this information at your own risk. If you have an allergy to any antibiotic make sure you do not use any in the same class. For example, allergic to penicillin- don't use any antibiotic that ends with "illin" because it is a penicillin. example above is amoxicillin

As to your question on signs and symptoms I think this thread could become very long. there was a post a while back that suggested some good medical books. All infections can turn deadly if not cared for properly. However in a SHTF situation treating the most common infections would probably be skin infections due to cuts and injuries we don't think about now. An infection in a cut finger not cared for properly could turn into a major infection that could enter the blood stream ( sepsis) and easily kill you.
    Pneumonia is pretty common and fairly easy to treat if you have the medications, but also can make you pretty miserable and weak as a kitten. Untreated it can kill.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

More information.

The antibiotics labeled for fish or aquarium use are the exact same medication you would buy for yourselves at the pharmacy. I have checked everything I have ever boughten on pill identification sites for the size, shape, color, and distinguishing writing. Every pill comes up with the correct medication names along with name of the pharmaceutical company it was manufactured at.

I will also suggest buying only from a US source. you may have to pay a little more for it but it is safe this way. Other countries do not have the same regulations on selling of expired or damaged medication.

do your homework. If you have ever been sick and gotten an antibiotic find out what it was. If you did ok on this one the rest in the same class are probably OK for you also. the same applies to the ones you may have had a reaction to.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Is there a reliable website for expiration dates, or how long past the stamped date you can go? I know some will turn poisonous. I want to get some, but I never get sick enough to need antibiotics. I haven't had to take any since August of '02, had walking pneumonia in boot camp. Since then, nothing. I'd still like to, just in case.
    sideKahr likes this.

Well I had a hacking cough and felt like bronchitis coming on. Took the dog's antibiotics, wife used to be a pharmacy tech, can't tell you what type but it worked good. This is what I call a little known provision of the "Affordable Care Act".

It's cheaper to go see the vet. WOOF WOOF
    sideKahr and OakOwl like this.

Well I had a hacking cough and felt like bronchitis coming on. Took the dog's antibiotics, wife used to be a pharmacy tech, can't tell you what type but it worked good. This is what I call a little known provision of the "Affordable Care Act".

It's cheaper to go see the vet. WOOF WOOF

Banned

People try to stop the bleeding too quickly after being cut.

Let it bleed bro.......
    txmarine6531 likes this.

Good thread, thank you tirednurse.

None

Quote Originally Posted by tirednurse View Post
    More information.

The antibiotics labeled for fish or aquarium use are the exact same medication you would buy for yourselves at the pharmacy. I have checked everything I have ever boughten on pill identification sites for the size, shape, color, and distinguishing writing. Every pill comes up with the correct medication names along with name of the pharmaceutical company it was manufactured at. .
    I have ordered from this company Free Shipping on Fish Antibiotics- Fish Mox, Fish Flex, & More! in the past and was satisfied with their products.
    RedLion likes this.

Good topic. Add charcoal , syrup of ipecec, and if you have access to a good doctor nitroglycerin, episode pen, ventolin, and finally lidocaine. I carry these in my kit.
    Rellgar likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links