What if an artery or vein is severed?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What if an artery or vein is severed? within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Do we have to tie off the two open ends of the tube? I mean, the two ends are never going to fuse together again ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What if an artery or vein is severed?

Do we have to tie off the two open ends of the tube?
    I mean, the two ends are never going to fuse together again are they?

Arteries carry blood away from the heart. Small ones could be tied off. Large one, probably not,
    without starving the extremity of blood and oxygen. The problem is most MDs won't tackle a
    severed artery. They'd pass it off to a vascular surgeon. So it all depends on your training, your
    equipment available and how big your cojones are. As a paramedic, if it was life and death, I'd
    try. If it meant loosing a limb, I'd have to think long and hard, becuase I could cause loss of life.
    But that's if I had the equipment, and I don't. So, I'd opt to tie off and hope for the best.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

This thread makes my cardiovascular system hurt!
    ActionJackson and Slippy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stevekozak View Post
    This thread makes my cardiovascular system hurt!
    Or, as an old Aussie friend used to say: "bloody hell."
    George Soros is Satan's blood relative.

Soldiers from the Viet Nam war to date have a higher probability of surviving severe combat injuries than previous wars due to rapid medevac to trauma centers with trauma surgeons and associated infrastructure there waiting on them. If you take a round to a major artery in a WROL scenario you are going to die plain and simple. Best advice, don't get shot.
    stevekozak and SOCOM42 like this.
    "In alcohol's defense, I've done some pretty dumb shit while completely sober too"!

In SHTF, apply a tourniquet and accept that you're going to lose that limb.
    We're talking medieval medicine here...
    Cut if off and cauterize. Far better than gangrene, infection, and death.

Without the proper tools, skill, and setting, there's no saving a severed main artery or the limb it's feeding.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Hemostat, then tie it off.

Tie off the flowing end.

Sometimes it is impossible because the vein or artery has retracted it self unless you can recover it..

At least use a tourniquet to stop the flow.

I had an artery cut in my lower leg, they applied a tourniquet, went up in the leg with a hemostat and pulled the artery down and tied it off.

I had a shot of morphine but it did not do much for the probing, somewhere along the line I passed out, it was not a major artery.

Today, 5 plus decades later the leg is sensitive to the cold, use an electric blanket to keep it warm.
    Slippy and NewRiverGeorge like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeball View Post
    Do we have to tie off the two open ends of the tube?
    I mean, the two ends are never going to fuse together again are they?
    They can do them with what they call microsurgery today.

U Mass med center has done and can do that type of surgery.

They did it with my daughter when she had a abdominal artery rupture from Crones disease

Doctors did a resection with her intestines removing three feet, was in surgical intensive care for two weeks.

She was in the OR for 11 hours.

I have read that Quik Clot can stop arterial bleeding, the granuals or the gauze can both do that. The gauze is good for filling holes, it can be stuffed into them.
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 11-16-2020 at 04:01 PM.
    I am reading The 9/11 Commission Report, and I am about 1/4 of the way through it. It is very well written and it is worth reading. [Sep 23 2019]

Putting in time an emergency room for continuing Ed for my certification, I've seen MDs curse the stuff, QuikClot
    is very difficult to remove from the wound. It definitely prevent you from bleeding to death. Learn some first aid,
    PLEASE. Heavy, direct ressure on the wound, plus raising the extrmity above the heart can do a lot. If not, it's
    time to use a tourniquet.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links