Wearing Masks During A Pandemic
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Wearing Masks During A Pandemic within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I am a long term prepper. One thing I've always prepped for is a viral pandemic. Included in my stores are cases of n95 masks, ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Wearing Masks During A Pandemic

I am a long term prepper. One thing I've always prepped for is a viral pandemic. Included in my stores are cases of n95 masks, gloves and other protective gear... as well as lots of disinfectants. I have protocols in my mind as to how I would handle folks coming to the farm. I've always felt a viral pandemic just might be the one thing that could take down our society... especially one where the fatality rate is 25%, 50% or worse.

At work I, as well as all employees, wear a mask. We have had two outbreaks of the virus with our production folks, where they got infected at gatherings away from work. Luckily we had no transmission at work, so we have stayed open with no interruptions in service. Those folks that tested positive or were in close contact with infected people had to stay home for at least a week and until they got a negative test. IMO, the masks, even if not n95, have helped keep the virus from spreading at work.

So here is my question. In this day & time where EVERYTHING is politicized, do you folks really think wearing proper masks serves no purpose in restricting the spread of a virus? Seems nowadays most conservatives have come out as anti mask... even here on a prepper forum. Some folks here have even tried to state wearing a mask could be worse than wearing nothing. That just goes against all my background (I have a degree in Biology) and against my understanding of how to slow the spread of a virus. And if you think a mask serves no purpose, what are we to do when a really deadly pandemic strikes?

Please keep politics out of this discussion. There are zillions of discussions here dealing with the political aspect. I just want to hear how preppers should plan to stop a viral pandemic. If not masks... what?
    Michael_Js, Slippy, Hemi45 and 1 others like this.

New York Finger Lakes. Where real New Yorkers live.
    The virus can be airborne. A mask can help stop airborne particles from entering my body. I wear a mask.
    Redneck and Hemi45 like this.

I do not wear a mask unless it is necessary for me to procure goods or services. For example, I got a haircut today and wore a mask to Great Quick Clips or some such nonsense, just so I could get my hair cut. The lady who cut my hair kept complaining about the mask. 14$ and I was out the door and tossed the mask.

Other than that, I generally do not wear one.

I do not believe that a mask will keep you from getting the COVID19. Too may other variables in play.
    Redneck, Inor and Sasquatch like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post

I do not believe that a mask will keep you from getting the COVID19. Too may other variables in play.
    So you do not think preppers should stock n95 masks? If COVID 19 had a fatality rate of 50%, would you state the same? What then is your plan to handle a much more serious viral pandemic in the future?

I'm trying to remove the current politicized aspects from basic prepper survival techniques. I agree our response to this virus is WAY overblown & I understand why folks wish to push back against our overreaching government. That being said, what about the science of slowing the spread of future viral pandemics? As far as I remember, folks here in this forum have always been in favor of having masks to slow the spread of viral outbreaks. Is my memory incorrect?
    Michael_Js likes this.

I think to be truly prepared for a true pandemic, much more is needed than a simple mask.
    Redneck, SGG, Michael_Js and 1 others like this.
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    If COVID 19 had a fatality rate of 50%, would you state the same?
    Well now you see, the virus doesn’t have a very high fatality rate. It is in fact, quite low. Most people that get it don’t get very sick at all.

I have a higher chance of dying in the car on my way to buy a mask than from dying from the virus.

What if we acted the same towards every disease and every potential threat as we do Covid? It would be nonsensical.
    Slippy, SGG, Michael_Js and 1 others like this.

I'm 65...heavy smoker, heart condition, overweight, eat anything i want to and go back for seconds.

I'm a prime target.

The only mask I wear is to go into retail locations that require it.

I continue to shake hands and operate like nothing is askew. I will continue that way until i finally kick the bucket.

IMO...the china virus...Real: yes...As deadly as they say? No.

With that said, I'll probably die next week of the China virus.
    Slippy, SGG, Michael_Js and 3 others like this.
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    Well now you see, the virus doesn’t have a very high fatality rate. It is in fact, quite low. Most people that get it don’t get very sick at all.

I have a higher chance of dying in the car on my way to buy a mask than from dying from the virus.

What if we acted the same towards every disease and every potential threat as we do Covid? It would be nonsensical.
    You are missing my point. I'm asking if preppers today think n95 masks help stop the spread of a viral infection? PERIOD.

I'm not talking about COVID 19 with its rather low fatality rate & all the politics associated with fighting that virus. Are n95 masks something preppers should stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Robie View Post
    I'm 65...heavy smoker, heart condition, overweight, eat anything i want to and go back for seconds.

I'm a prime target.

The only mask I wear is to go into retail locations that require it.

I continue to shake hands and operate like nothing is askew. I will continue that way until i finally kick the bucket.

IMO...the china virus...Real: yes...As deadly as they say? No.

With that said, I'll probably die next week of the China virus.
    Once again, I'm not asking about wearing a mask for COVID 19. I'm saying would you use one for a viral outbreak that had say 50% fatality?

Quote Originally Posted by Robie View Post
    I think to be truly prepared for a true pandemic, much more is needed than a simple mask.
    I agree. But should a proper mask be one tool a prepper uses?

I'm afraid too many folks are listening to the political posturing dealing with mask wearing during COVID 19, and applying that to all viral outbreaks. IMO, n95 masks are a proper tool to reduce the spread of viral outbreaks.
    Michael_Js likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links