Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Wearing Masks During A Pandemic

12K views 85 replies 36 participants last post by  offgridgenz 
#1 ·
I am a long term prepper. One thing I've always prepped for is a viral pandemic. Included in my stores are cases of n95 masks, gloves and other protective gear... as well as lots of disinfectants. I have protocols in my mind as to how I would handle folks coming to the farm. I've always felt a viral pandemic just might be the one thing that could take down our society... especially one where the fatality rate is 25%, 50% or worse.

At work I, as well as all employees, wear a mask. We have had two outbreaks of the virus with our production folks, where they got infected at gatherings away from work. Luckily we had no transmission at work, so we have stayed open with no interruptions in service. Those folks that tested positive or were in close contact with infected people had to stay home for at least a week and until they got a negative test. IMO, the masks, even if not n95, have helped keep the virus from spreading at work.

So here is my question. In this day & time where EVERYTHING is politicized, do you folks really think wearing proper masks serves no purpose in restricting the spread of a virus? Seems nowadays most conservatives have come out as anti mask... even here on a prepper forum. Some folks here have even tried to state wearing a mask could be worse than wearing nothing. That just goes against all my background (I have a degree in Biology) and against my understanding of how to slow the spread of a virus. And if you think a mask serves no purpose, what are we to do when a really deadly pandemic strikes?

Please keep politics out of this discussion. There are zillions of discussions here dealing with the political aspect. I just want to hear how preppers should plan to stop a viral pandemic. If not masks... what?

See less See more
#3 ·
I do not wear a mask unless it is necessary for me to procure goods or services. For example, I got a haircut today and wore a mask to Great Quick Clips or some such nonsense, just so I could get my hair cut. The lady who cut my hair kept complaining about the mask. 14$ and I was out the door and tossed the mask.

Other than that, I generally do not wear one.

I do not believe that a mask will keep you from getting the COVID19. Too may other variables in play.

#4 ·
I do not believe that a mask will keep you from getting the COVID19. Too may other variables in play.
So you do not think preppers should stock n95 masks? If COVID 19 had a fatality rate of 50%, would you state the same? What then is your plan to handle a much more serious viral pandemic in the future?

I'm trying to remove the current politicized aspects from basic prepper survival techniques. I agree our response to this virus is WAY overblown & I understand why folks wish to push back against our overreaching government. That being said, what about the science of slowing the spread of future viral pandemics? As far as I remember, folks here in this forum have always been in favor of having masks to slow the spread of viral outbreaks. Is my memory incorrect?

#10 ·
I agree. But should a proper mask be one tool a prepper uses?

I'm afraid too many folks are listening to the political posturing dealing with mask wearing during COVID 19, and applying that to all viral outbreaks. IMO, n95 masks are a proper tool to reduce the spread of viral outbreaks.

#7 ·
I'm 65...heavy smoker, heart condition, overweight, eat anything i want to and go back for seconds.

I'm a prime target.

The only mask I wear is to go into retail locations that require it.

I continue to shake hands and operate like nothing is askew. I will continue that way until i finally kick the bucket.

IMO...the china virus...Real: yes...As deadly as they say? No.

With that said, I'll probably die next week of the China virus.

#9 ·
I'm 65...heavy smoker, heart condition, overweight, eat anything i want to and go back for seconds.

I'm a prime target.

The only mask I wear is to go into retail locations that require it.

I continue to shake hands and operate like nothing is askew. I will continue that way until i finally kick the bucket.

IMO...the china virus...Real: yes...As deadly as they say? No.

With that said, I'll probably die next week of the China virus.
Once again, I'm not asking about wearing a mask for COVID 19. I'm saying would you use one for a viral outbreak that had say 50% fatality?

#11 ·
It all boils down to the size of the virus particles and the mesh size of your mask materials. The mesh has to be small enough to filter out the virus otherwise the mask ain’t doing squat. Then you have to properly wear the mask and most people are not properly trained in mask use. If you have a beard or facial hair no mask is going to help you.

CDC reports out today state that surgical masks that everyone is wearing today are completely ineffective at filtering out aerosol virus particles. One study of new infections in July found that the majority of people infected ‘always’ or ‘mostly always’ wore a mask.

#12 ·
It all boils down to the size of the virus particles and the mesh size of your mask materials. The mesh has to be small enough to filter out the virus otherwise the mask ain't doing squat. Then you have to properly wear the mask and most people are not properly trained in mask use. If you have a beard or facial hair no mask is going to help you.

CDC reports out today state that surgical masks that everyone is wearing today are completely ineffective at filtering out aerosol virus particles. One study of new infections in July found that the majority of people infected 'always' or 'mostly always' wore a mask.
I agree. That is why I have n95 masks & better, for my half & full face respirators.

Do you think n95 masks, properly worn & removed, help slow the spread of viral infections & do you think it is an item preppers should stock?

#15 ·
Social distancing is the only true way to not get/catch the virus. So just stay away from other people pretty simple.

I'm not a sheep falling in line with all the others just because I'm told to do something. Been proven numerous times that a mask doesn't stop one thing. So why do you keep going along with the charade?

Have worn my full face motorcycle helmet with the sun shield down into a store. Just to make a point and really got the looks. Heck it's a face covering, right..

One thing I do like about the whole mask thing is nobody cares anymore if I'm carrying a gun. As long as I have my little mask. Think it's ridiculous now I'm required to wear a mask with my gun to go in anyplace.

#17 ·
I'm not a sheep falling in line with all the others just because I'm told to do something. Been proven numerous times that a mask doesn't stop one thing. So why do you keep going along with the charade?
Can you please provide a link to a peer reviewed study that states n 95 masks don't stop one thing? Such info would be helpful. Most preppers, at least in the past, considered masks as a good tool to have.

I'm curious why every healthcare professional wants or uses N 95 masks if they are as worthless as you state?

#20 ·
Should you have masks? Yes, they have many benefits.
Do they stop the SARS-COV2 virus? No, this virus is too small for almost any mask to filter it in aerosol form.

There are numerous factors, aside from pore size, that contribute to the failure of mask protection in use by the general public.
Primarily, face/mask touching without washing your hands after.
Secondly, no seal around the face.
Thirdly, mask reuse with no sanitation.

IF the mask is catching anything on either side of the membrane, and you touch that side, and don't wash your hands before touching ANYTHING ELSE, you're spreading or contracting it.
Without following proper mask protocol, they are useless flaps of "better than thou".

Even N95 effectiveness is largely overstated. They don't appear to offer any better protection from viral infection than a common surgical mask.
This was shown in a study performed 11 years back on the flu, using medical professionals who were trained on the proper procedures for wearing masks. The study showed workers still got the flu, and at nearly identical rates between N95 and surgical mask wearers.
Even the idea that "wearing a mask protects everyone around you" is being called into question: Can surgical masks protect you from getting the flu?
Admittedly, that article from last year focuses a lot on bacterial spread, but the arguments would still hold true.

If we ever see another real pandemic, the best course of action won't be masks. It will be staying home and washing your damn hands.
What we're seeing now is all the people who don't want to stay home, and demand everyone around them wear a mask to "keep me safe from you" so they can feel comfortable while still getting infected.

#21 ·
Should you have masks? Yes, they have many benefits.
Do they stop the SARS-COV2 virus? No, this virus is too small for almost any mask to filter it in aerosol form.

There are numerous factors, aside from pore size, that contribute the failure of mask protection in use by the general public.
Primarily, face/mask touching without washing your hands after.
Secondly, no seal around the face.
Thirdly, mask reuse with no sanitation.

*IF* the mask is catching anything on either side of the membrane, and you touch that side, and don't wash your hands before touching ANYTHING ELSE, you're spreading or contracting it.
Without following proper mask protocol, they are useless flaps of "better than thou".

Even N95 effectiveness is largely overstated. They don't appear to offer any better protection from viral infection than a common surgical mask.
This was shown in a study performed 11 years back on the flu, using medical professionals who were trained on the proper procedures for wearing masks. The study showed workers still got the flu, and at nearly identical rates between N95 and surgical mask wearers.
Even the idea that "wearing a mask protects everyone around you" is being called into question: Can surgical masks protect you from getting the flu?
Admittedly, that article from last year focuses a lot on bacterial spread, but the arguments would still hold true.

If we ever see another real pandemic, the best course of action won't be masks. It will be staying home and washing your damn hands.
What we're seeing now is all the people who don't want to stay home, and demand everyone around them wear a mask to "keep me safe from you" so they can feel comfortable while still getting infected.
I wanted to comment earlier but couldn't quite put together what I wanted to say and wah-lah you have just done so.

Reactions: Chiefster23
#24 ·
I wish I could find a mask worth a crap to keep dust and pollen out of my face when I bush hog...

Until then, I have my sights set on an enclosed cab tractor. (Its only money, people! Can't take it with you, right?)

Tire Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Wheel

Back to @******* s question; Do I think storing N95 masks is something that I need to do to be prepared? Sure, why not. But to keep yourself safe from viruses, no, I don't beleive they do much to prevent one from getting a virus.

I think that Vinnie Barbarino figured it out way back in the 70's. Stay in a plastic bubble if you don't want to catch anything...

Sky People in nature Grass Sharing Adaptation

#26 ·
I work in a school and wear a mask all day. Buy a quality product and it's not a hardship. I also have half face respirators with P100 cartridges for the day something REALLY nasty comes. I've had N95's on hand for several years now and have also bolstered my supply of the 3 ply blue surgical masks.

Sadly, I don't think it's possible for most to depoliticize masks in 2020. Too many emotions and not enough brain cells involved.

#28 ·
The question is do you fear death....? If you think a mask will slow the spread, then by all means wear one...yet as for me,
I will not wear one and I will not attempt to shame those who do....last I checked, for those in the US, we still live in a free
Nation, for how long, that is yet to be determined...but if you read below, you will see the One who will make that determination.

You will say this is not political, yet I say it is both political and religious, not mans religion, but the religion as spoken by the word of God.

God unilaterally makes the rules for He is the Sovereign Judge of all the earth and His creation.

Now let me ask this...Do you fear man....? do you fear death....? read on to know Whom to fear!

Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge...

do I fear what is happening, no not all, for I know it is the will of the Lord. The Lord is the One who is Sovereign and He is the One who brings about all things. The written word of God is His revealed will, yet He does have a secret will that we cannot know until things unfold and we see for our own eyes what God is doing...and yes this is of God, whether you want to accept that or not makes no difference to me.

Can we use scripture to back up my claims...?

lets start with 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness.

We are to learn from all scripture....now lets turn to the book of Acts and the book of Job:

Acts 17:26 and He made from one man, every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined [their] appointed times, and the boundaries of their habitation.

Job 12:23 "He makes the nations great, then destroys them; He enlarges the nations, then leads them away.

Both these verse, from the OT and NT back up what each says...so we see we can learn from the OT and the NT alike...

Are we something to God?...God needs nothing from us...for these words in Isaiah speaks this truth.

Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, He taketh up the isles as a very little thing. And Lebanon is not sufficient to burn, nor the beasts thereof sufficient for a burnt offering. All nations before Him are as nothing ; and they are counted to Him less than nothing, and vanity. To whom then will ye liken God? or what likeness will ye compare unto Him? (Isa 40:15-18).

How vastly different is the God of Scripture from the "god" of the average pulpit preached today!

The preachers of today are modern day Pharisees, they fill your ears with lies and tell you how good you are to keep the dollars following in to pay the big bills they have accumulated.

leave the 501c3 church building and see for yourself that the Lord is God.

God did not save me to only give half of Him, I preach the full counsel of the word of God, I leave nothing out...I do not sugar coat, for sugar coated preaching is dangerous to the soul.

Today we hear about the Love of God and yes we should for the epitome of Love is God for God is Love...yet the other side is the wrath of God and the indignation of God...yet all we hear today is the Love of God, which the devil has crept in the buildings to deceive even the elect.

Just a few scriptures from the Old and New Testament to ponder on.

Isaiah 45:7 The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these.

Amos 3:6-7 6 If a trumpet is blown in a city will not the people tremble? If a calamity occurs in a city has not the LORD done it?
7 Surely the Lord GOD does nothing Unless He reveals His secret counsel To His servants the prophets.

Psalm 9:17 The wicked will return to hell, Even all the nations who forget God.

John 3:18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

(the pastors of today want to preach John 3:16, but never get to John 3:18 for it does not suit their agenda)

John 3:36 "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

Hebrews 10:26-31 26 For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and the fury of a fire which will consume the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay." And again, "The Lord will judge His people." 31 It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

James 4:4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

We are on the cusp of all out chaos / calamity. yet these time were spoken of long ago in the Holy Writ, the very word of God, the Son of God, God the Son said these days would come like birth pains upon a woman...they will begin slowly and then increase with intensity over time. God is angry and His patience has worn thin and judgment is coming upon us.

My point of this is to show God is the One who is in charge...like it or not. He will bring about His plan for it was spoken long before the foundation of the world was ever laid....and no man can or will ever stop it...for the Lord God sits in the heavens and does as He pleases.

To the true born again Christian, this should be comforting for we are in the palm of the hand of Jesus and His hand is wrapped by the Hand of the Father and no one can pluck us from His hand and when we die and all will die one day, we will be ushered in to glory with the society of saints....

and for those who don't know Christ as Lord and Savior, well you to will one day die and it will be a different outcome for you will be cast into the Lake of fire burning with brimstone....Confess now that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart He was raised from the grave and be saved for the one who believes will not be disappointed.

I'll leave you with the words of the beloved Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus.

Luke 12:5 But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He (GOD) has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!

Receive Christ now and fear not.

Confess Jesus as Lord and believe in your heart He was raised from the grave and be saved from eternal suffering and torment.

Praise be to GOD, One in Three, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, to Him be the glory forevermore. in the precious name of Jesus, amen.

#29 ·
Do I think masks provide any measurable level of protection? No. However mask wearing is not the hill I will choose to die on. If I go to a retailer that requires one, I wear it without comment, if they don't require it, I don't wear it. The mask generally rides wadded up in my back pocket, and only gets washed when it starts to smell funny.

#31 ·
will a mask help.. YES if you stop also touching your damn face, rubbing your eyes, taking change from people and toss it away every time you take it off and stop reusing it for 3 months.

So I guess the answer is NOW mask will not help because people do not use them correctly.

#35 ·
The military did a study where they had, numbers are probably wrong, 1000 soldiers wear masks, do all the sanitizing and socializing rules and the other half just go about at usual. The masked group got more virus then the unmasked. Where I stand. I was a nurse for 40 years. I was fitted for masks and even those didn't give complete protection. We were trained on how to wear it and not touching anything. 99.9% of the masks I see people wearing are not going to help because the viral particles are smaller and can pass through the mask. We had one mask that offered adequate protection and it was like a space helmet with a air flow in it. I think some of the recommendations are spot on. Stay home if your sick. Wash your hands a lot. Studies have shown that over sanitizing everything from bath soap to dish soap etc kill off good bacteria on your body and can lower your immune system. I got rid of all those products years ago. I wear a mask when I have to, do I think it will prevent me from catching this virus, no. I wish it would but I doubt it. Also, a lot of my old co-workers have caught the virus. They wear their masks all the time and are properly trained. That says a lot to me.

#36 ·
Mask.. the major fraud and now biden and the cdc are beginning to enforce it nation wide. Good luck with that, asshats.

There is a reason masks, improper masks like 99.999% of people wear, are dangerous.

As megamom stated, the virus is so small that it passes through masks. The sheep though, and the corrupt CDC and the rest of them, will tell you that mask catch the droplets that contain the virus therefore providing protection for those around you and yourself.

So the truth is that although the mask does catch the droplets that contain the virus, it let’s through the more pure (as in no droplet) virus. The virus that gets through is then smaller, floats better in the air and in inhaled deeper into the respiratory system. It’s inhaled back through a mask that someone would be wearing. That specific viral load is indeed more infectious since it penetrates easier. Masks provide a false sense of security.

There were numerous studies on this very topic beginning in the 50’s up to just a few years ago.

In short, masks don’t work and are about control. The only thing that actually does work is a certain amount of social distancing and herd immunity.

And lastly.. the is the basically the a very contagious and very very slightly more deadly version of the FLU. And trust me.. in short order it will be announced that because of the multiple variations, you will now need a covid shot every year.

#37 ·
I wear a mask only when going into a store. The stores require it and I don't feel like causing trouble.
That's the only time I've worn one since the whole contrived fiasco started.
I'm on my second cheap surgical mask with an elastic band. They develop quite a character after months of use.

#39 ·
I don't wear masks even in stores.
^^^^^:vs_clap::vs_shake::vs_closedeyes:^^^^^

I wore one once last year when I had to take a mandatory, random drug test for my company. Beyond that ... I haven't put one on even once. I'm fortunate to live in a town that still respects a person's Constitutional rights. Cops have left me completely alone and only once did I hear a Libtard at my local Natural Grocers whisper to her husband that I was "being irresponsible." I knew right then than she only had two brain cells that were too far apart to rub together.

#48 ·
Even the fearmongers, Fauci, the head of the CDC, and (I believe) the leaders of WHO all agreed in the beginning that masks were NOT necessary. Then, in coordinated lock-step, they all did a 180 and decided that they WERE necessary. When they saw that it could be used as a control mechanism they decided that we all needed to wear them for "our safety." What a crock!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.