Wearing Masks During A Pandemic - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Wearing Masks During A Pandemic

This is a discussion on Wearing Masks During A Pandemic within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; It all boils down to the size of the virus particles and the mesh size of your mask materials. The mesh has to be small ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Wearing Masks During A Pandemic

It all boils down to the size of the virus particles and the mesh size of your mask materials. The mesh has to be small enough to filter out the virus otherwise the mask ain’t doing squat. Then you have to properly wear the mask and most people are not properly trained in mask use. If you have a beard or facial hair no mask is going to help you.

CDC reports out today state that surgical masks that everyone is wearing today are completely ineffective at filtering out aerosol virus particles. One study of new infections in July found that the majority of people infected ‘always’ or ‘mostly always’ wore a mask.
    Redneck, Inor, Michael_Js and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    It all boils down to the size of the virus particles and the mesh size of your mask materials. The mesh has to be small enough to filter out the virus otherwise the mask ain’t doing squat. Then you have to properly wear the mask and most people are not properly trained in mask use. If you have a beard or facial hair no mask is going to help you.

CDC reports out today state that surgical masks that everyone is wearing today are completely ineffective at filtering out aerosol virus particles. One study of new infections in July found that the majority of people infected ‘always’ or ‘mostly always’ wore a mask.
    I agree. That is why I have n95 masks & better, for my half & full face respirators.

Do you think n95 masks, properly worn & removed, help slow the spread of viral infections & do you think it is an item preppers should stock?
    Slippy and Michael_Js like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    I agree. But should a proper mask be one tool a prepper uses?

I'm afraid too many folks are listening to the political posturing dealing with mask wearing during COVID 19, and applying that to all viral outbreaks. IMO, n95 masks are a proper tool to reduce the spread of viral outbreaks.
    It depends on who you believe..

Would you trust that mask for the...Bubonic plague?
    hawgrider likes this.
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

No. Not some simpleton mask.
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

Social distancing is the only true way to not get/catch the virus. So just stay away from other people pretty simple.

I'm not a sheep falling in line with all the others just because I'm told to do something. Been proven numerous times that a mask doesn't stop one thing. So why do you keep going along with the charade?

Have worn my full face motorcycle helmet with the sun shield down into a store. Just to make a point and really got the looks. Heck it's a face covering, right..

One thing I do like about the whole mask thing is nobody cares anymore if I'm carrying a gun. As long as I have my little mask. Think it's ridiculous now I'm required to wear a mask with my gun to go in anyplace.
    Michael_Js, Slippy and KUSA like this.
    That which doesn't kill me had better start running.

Quote Originally Posted by Robie View Post

Would you trust that mask for the...Bubonic plague?
    Since that is a bacteria, spread mainly by fleas and there are established treatments for it, I don't see where any mask would help.

Once again, I'm asking about proper mask treatment for viral infections.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post

I'm not a sheep falling in line with all the others just because I'm told to do something. Been proven numerous times that a mask doesn't stop one thing. So why do you keep going along with the charade?
    Can you please provide a link to a peer reviewed study that states n 95 masks don't stop one thing? Such info would be helpful. Most preppers, at least in the past, considered masks as a good tool to have.

I'm curious why every healthcare professional wants or uses N 95 masks if they are as worthless as you state?

Can you please provide a link to a peer reviewed study that states n 95 masks don't stop one thing? Such info would be helpful. Most preppers, at least in the past, considered masks as a good tool to have.

I'm curious why every healthcare professional wants or uses N 95 masks if they are as worthless as you state?
    Guess what?

No one knows.

The latest information about ANY masks is a turkey shoot.

Pick a professional YOU trust, go with them and keep your fingers crossed.
    Slippy likes this.

― Will Durant

If we are talking the current kung flu, the virus is 0.1 microns. An N95 mask filters 95% of the particles at 0.3 microns. In other words, the mask may stop a few kung flu but certainly not all. Add to that the fact that it does not protect your eyes at all plus if you have any open cuts or abrasions... So, for our current situation, an n95 mask is of very little (if any) value other than to virtue signal that you care.

To your larger question: "Should a prepper have a supply of N95 masks?" Sure, it does not hurt. But I am not inclined to think they will do much to protect from most viruses, since viruses are usually very small. But for use in a dusty environment they seem like a reasonable precaution and certainly better than a standard sanding mask.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

Should you have masks? Yes, they have many benefits.
    Do they stop the SARS-COV2 virus? No, this virus is too small for almost any mask to filter it in aerosol form.

There are numerous factors, aside from pore size, that contribute the failure of mask protection in use by the general public.
    Primarily, face/mask touching without washing your hands after.
    Secondly, no seal around the face.
    Thirdly, mask reuse with no sanitation.

*IF* the mask is catching anything on either side of the membrane, and you touch that side, and don't wash your hands before touching ANYTHING ELSE, you're spreading or contracting it.
    Without following proper mask protocol, they are useless flaps of "better than thou".

Even N95 effectiveness is largely overstated. They don't appear to offer any better protection from viral infection than a common surgical mask.
    This was shown in a study performed 11 years back on the flu, using medical professionals who were trained on the proper procedures for wearing masks. The study showed workers still got the flu, and at nearly identical rates between N95 and surgical mask wearers.
    Even the idea that "wearing a mask protects everyone around you" is being called into question: Can surgical masks protect you from getting the flu?
    Admittedly, that article from last year focuses a lot on bacterial spread, but the arguments would still hold true.

If we ever see another real pandemic, the best course of action won't be masks. It will be staying home and washing your damn hands.
    What we're seeing now is all the people who don't want to stay home, and demand everyone around them wear a mask to "keep me safe from you" so they can feel comfortable while still getting infected.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links