Antibiotics
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Antibiotics

This is a discussion on Antibiotics within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Any, MDs, RNs, Nurse Practitioners, Pharmacists or Combat Medics out there? SHTF Scenario. All is lost and you are on the move to meet up ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Antibiotics

Antibiotics

Any, MDs, RNs, Nurse Practitioners, Pharmacists or Combat Medics out there?

SHTF Scenario.

All is lost and you are on the move to meet up with the rest of your group. You pull into a small town and stop at a pharmacy, the place looks intact. The pharmacist comes out and asks if they can hitch ride with you to the next town as their transit is toast. In exchange for the lift you can take as much of any 5 antibiotics in the store as you want. You have a full FA kit and enough over the counter meds to last you for years. No Oxy either as that is long gone. Your only focus is antibiotics which in this new world are worth their weight in gold.
    Keep in mind that a least one of your choices has to be one that does not contain any penicillin as one of the group members you are meeting up with is allergic to it.
    Which ones do you take and WHY? You are not allowed to ask the pharmacist what they would recommend.

Thoughts?

Godspeed
    ActionJackson likes this.

Leavquin (broad spectrum quinolone be careful with children under 12 and the elderly as it can cause tendon rupture
    Zyvox (treats MRSA)
    Omnicef (good for sinus infections, Bronchitis, etc. Good choice for pneumonia in people allergic to penicillin has less than a 10% chance of reaction)
    Zpak (broad spectrum)
    Bactrim (treats multiple infections including mrsa skin infections)

Honorable mention: Augmentin (however has amoxicillin)

However, if this pharmacy has IV antibiotics that opens up a whole other chapter.
    Last edited by NewRiverGeorge; 10-10-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    Romans 10:9 KJV
    That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Good thoughts @NewRiverGeorge . I would say consider doxycycline which treats a lot of infections and is good against Lyme’s disease. Under the circumstances of this serino Ticks can be a real issue. I like the idea of leavquin.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

KapitalKane49P:
    Please pardon me for jumping in here but I risk it in the event that it may possibly help you. I do not know you or your prepping background.
    So I do not know if this is a medical question to which you already know the answer or a sincere declaration that you do not have antibiotics in your personal kit.

I assume you have no antibiotics. If this is correct you may not know that you can get most of the antibiotics you need now in the form of fish medicine. They can be obtained very cheaply and without prescriptions.

Our group is well supplied. My Daughter-In-Law is a pharmacist. She says the medications are made by the human drug suppliers and the same dosages as for humans. They are the same medications.
    If requested I can supply you with vendors and her instructions on when and dosages for certain illnesses, and which antibiotic to never purchase as when it ages it becomes poison. I will have to look up the name.
    She gave us a list of about half a dozen meds to inventory.

If you already have antibiotics then my apology for jumping in here.

P. S. Supplier: https://www.fishantibioticsdirect.com/products/fish-cin

Becomes poison with age: FISH-CYCLINE (tetracycline);
    All on our list below last for years and may get a little weak over time, but still good.

Our Starter Kit:

FISH-MOX (amoxicillin 250mg)
    FISH_MOX FORTE (amoxicillin 500mg)
    FISH-CILLIN (ampicillin 250mg)
    FISH-FLEX Keflex 250mg)
    FISH-FLEX FORTE (Keflex 500mg)
    FISH-ZOLE (metronidazole 250mg)
    FISH-PEN (penicillin 250mg)
    FISH-PEN FORTE (penicillin 500mg)
    Sulfa Forte
    Last edited by jimcosta; 10-10-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

Amoxycillin, Ciproflaxin, cephalexin, clavamox, doxycycline, erythromycin, these are all oral and cover almost every bacterial infection.

Then there is another needed, one few consider, Ofloxacin Ophthalmic solution USP, 0.3%.

I have these in storage and are rotated out thanks to Doc. brother.
    BamaDOC and CapitalKane49p like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    Good thoughts @NewRiverGeorge . I would say consider doxycycline which treats a lot of infections and is good against Lyme’s disease. Under the circumstances of this serino Ticks can be a real issue. I like the idea of leavquin.
    Yeah, I had it once, caught it quick, kid has had it twice, there is an overabundance of those little bastards around here.

One thing with the Doxy, it does not store well and becomes toxic with age, all of mine is in a freezer @ 30 below f.
    CapitalKane49p and Camel923 like this.

Just like to add you may not be able to get antibiotics without a prescription but you can still get ones for pets, which is the same thing.
    CapitalKane49p likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NewRiverGeorge View Post
    Leavquin (broad spectrum quinolone be careful with children under 12 and the elderly as it can cause tendon rupture
    Zyvox (treats MRSA)
    Omnicef (good for sinus infections, Bronchitis, etc. Good choice for pneumonia in people allergic to penicillin has less than a 10% chance of reaction)
    Zpak (broad spectrum)
    Bactrim (treats multiple infections including mrsa skin infections)

Honorable mention: Augmentin (however has amoxicillin)

However, if this pharmacy has IV antibiotics that opens up a whole other chapter.
    @NewRiverGeorge these are good recommendations.
    @Camel923 mentioned lyme disease which brings up a good point.
    almost all of the above mentioned antibiotics will help with most bacterial infections.
    what we forget is the nonbacterial infections which are also common in times of natural disasters.

After the tornadoes from years ago.. we had a huge bump in fungal infections from spores stirred up in the soil that people were scratching, cutting their skin from the clean up. (fluconazol, posaconazole, Itraconazole)

In the gulf each year we have skin infections from summer heated water with contaminated with sewage (clostridium and vibrio) (anaerobic bugs.. metronidazole) minocycline doxycycline ciprofloxacin

Ameobic and protozoal infections are becoming more common because of untreated sewage , and flooding. and require different antibiotics (Metronidazole tinidazole)

and lastly dont forget worms... anyone who has lived in the third world and seen someone pooping out intestinal worms will never want to experience that.
    be its mechanism of action [7].

Ivermectin is the drug of choice for the treatment of onchocerciasis and for strongyloidiasis. (See "Onchocerciasis" and "Strongyloidiasis".)

Ivermectin has activity against other filarial worms including Wuchereria bancrofti, Brugia malayi, Mansonella ozzardi, and Loa loa. It is not the drug of choice for these infections, though it may be useful in certain circumstances. (See related topics.)

Ivermectin is effective against several intestinal nematodes including ascariasis, trichuriasis, and enterobiasis [8]. Ivermectin is also used to treat cutaneous larva migrans. Ivermectin is ineffective against human hookworms [8]. (See "Ascariasis" and "Enterobiasis (pinworm) and trichuriasis (whipworm)" and "Hookworm-related cutaneous larva migrans".)

Ivermectin is also effective for treatment of ectoparasitic infections including scabies and head lice. (See "Scabies: Epidemiology, clinical features, and diagnosis" and "Pediculosis capitis".)

Ivermectin should not be administered to pregnant or lactating women, and its safety in children <15 kg is not known. In areas of West Africa where loiasis is endemic, ivermectin should be used with caution; it should be avoided in those with high-grade microfilaremia who are susceptible to treatment-induced encephalopathy. (See "Loiasis (Loa loa infection)".)

Albendazole — Albendazole has a broad range of activity against helminthic infections, including neurocysticercosis, echinococcosis, ascariasis, hookworm, and trichuriasis. (See related topics.)

Albendazole also has activity against a number of less common tissue nematode infections, including cutaneous larva migrans [10], visceral and ocular larva migrans [11], gnathostomiasis [12], intestinal capillariasis [13], clonorchiasis [14], Lagochilascaris minor [15], and human infections with the nematodes Trichinella pseudospiralis [16] and Oesophagostomum bifurcum [17]. (See related topics.)

Absorption of albendazole is enhanced by taking it with fatty meals [18]. Albendazole should be taken with fatty foods for treatment of invasive systemic parasitic infections; it should be taken with no food (eg, on an empty stomach) for treatment of intraluminal parasitic infections with no systemic involvement. Side effects of albendazole include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and increased hepatic transaminases; these are generally transient and usually do not require discontinuation of the drug [19]. Neutropenia and, rarely, agranulocytosis can occur with longer-term treatments (as for echinococcosis or neurocysticercosis), so blood counts should be monitored. Alopecia can occur during prolonged treatments but resolves after albendazole treatment ends.

Mebendazole — Mebendazole is a benzimidazole derivative that is effective against a spectrum of intestinal and tissue nematode infections, including ascariasis, hookworm, enterobiasis, and trichuriasis, and as an investigational drug for Capillaria. Side effects of mebendazole include mild abdominal pain and diarrhea. Mebendazole is not available in the United States and albendazole is an alternative.
    CapitalKane49p and Camel923 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcosta View Post
    KapitalKane49P:
    Please pardon me for jumping in here but I risk it in the event that it may possibly help you. I do not know you or your prepping background.
    So I do not know if this is a medical question to which you already know the answer or a sincere declaration that you do not have antibiotics in your personal kit.

I assume you have no antibiotics. If this is correct you may not know that you can get most of the antibiotics you need now in the form of fish medicine. They can be obtained very cheaply and without prescriptions.

Our group is well supplied. My Daughter-In-Law is a pharmacist. She says the medications are made by the human drug suppliers and the same dosages as for humans. They are the same medications.
    If requested I can supply you with vendors and her instructions on when and dosages for certain illnesses, and which antibiotic to never purchase as when it ages it becomes poison. I will have to look up the name.

All on our list below last for years and may get a little weak over time, but still good.

Our Starter Kit:

FISH-FLEX Keflex 250mg)
    Sulfa Forte
    They all seem to be sold out. I was looking for them on another site today with the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcosta View Post
    KapitalKane49P:

Our Starter Kit:

FISH-FLEX Keflex 250mg)
    Sulfa Forte

I am as prepared as I can be but the one nagging worry I have is that should times get tough a simple scratch or minor infection can end up killing a person. I've got some pretty good FA skills but am lacking antibiotics knowledge. All the responses I've received so far have been very helpful and I can see I've got a fair amount of homework to do.

Thanks to all.

Godspeed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links