First Aid for BURNS
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

First Aid for BURNS

This is a discussion on First Aid for BURNS within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Here are articles that I find quite informative. IThey describe different kinds of burns, and how to treat them, home remdies, etc. How to Treat ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: First Aid for BURNS

First Aid for BURNS

Here are articles that I find quite informative. IThey describe different kinds of burns, and how to treat them, home remdies, etc.

How to Treat Burns, Degrees of Burns.....

https://www.medicinenet.com/burns/article.htm

Home Remedies

https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...dies-for-burns

The Best Tips for Treating Burns in a Crisis

https://blog.survivalfrog.com/treating-burns-crisis/

Last edited by charito; 05-24-2020 at 05:00 AM.

One of the best treatments for burns is a product called Silvadene.

It is expensive but works real well, I have a jar or two stored here.

Saw first hand how well it worked on my brother who was burned on the chest, left shoulder and arm.

He was caught in an explosion.

We used about a pint of it every week for three months on him.

No infection occurred, and skin growth was rapid.

He did have to have skin grafts done on the chest area, they took 6 or 7 strips about 1"x6" from his thighs and right side.

Those donor areas got the cream treatment also.

You can buy the stuff today without a script, not back then though which was in 1973.

In a manner of speaking, this burning is what killed him 12 years ago,

started drinking whiskey along with the percocet to kill the pain, burn healed,

most of the pain went away, but the drinking went on, and that killed him.

Before the booze and pills,

and right out of the hospital I gave him a injection of one grain of morphine sulphate each day for almost two weeks.

In the end he was drinking a fifth of Seagrams Seven and a case of beer every day.

Doctor brother came up from NC to check on him, would not open the door to let him in.

Would not even answer the phone either.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 05-24-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post

Saw first hand how well it worked on my brother who was burned on the chest, left shoulder and arm.

He did have to have skin grafts done on the chest area, they took 6 or 7 strips about 1"x6" from his thighs and right side.

You can buy the stuff today without a script, not back then though which was in 1973.

and right out of the hospital I gave him a injection of one grain of morphine sulphate each day for almost two weeks.

In the end he was drinking a fifth of Seagrams Seven and a case of beer every day.

Doctor brother came up from NC to check on him, would not open the door to let him in.

Sorry to hear about Your brother's battles with addiction @SOCOM42 .

I'll second the silvadine. I've had a few severe burns and that cream is a great antibiotic. I have a stash in the medical supplies, and a small toothpaste sized tube for my mobile/BOB first aid kit.
    SOCOM42 and itstimetobunker like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

What happened to your brother is heart breaking. It couldn't have been easy watching him letting go. From experience, I know how difficult it is. Until they decide to make a change, any efforts to turn them around are usually resented.

Found at Vet Depot https://www.vetdepot.com/silver-sulf...RoCmhkQAvD_BwE for $12.24. In my cart--had never heard of it until now. 1% silver sufadiazine for burns, so it may be the same burn cream? If so, it doesn't surprise me that a med for humans vs. animals comes with a high price tag. Have been purchasing fish antibiotics for years, no prescription necessary, same exact antibiotic, made by the same manufacturer--the only difference is availability. Big Pharma is not always our friend!

Silvadene is the trade name for one of the companies who manufacture it, another similar brand is called Thermazene, same drug but patients complain it stings more after applying.
    the generic is silver sulfadiazine.

Other good options are polysporin or Bacitracin. petroleum based cream similar to neosporin.
    downside is that the antibacterial coverage isnt as good as silver sulfadiazene.
    the plus is that it doesnt make as much of a mess as silvadene, and it's much cheaper.

another low cost treatment which seems to work well is Honey.
    they use it all over the third world with comparable outcomes.
    some pharm companies tried to manufacture burn dressings with honey called Medihoney... but by the time the lawyers , business guys had their say, it costs as much as silvadene.
    but plain old honey over a wound stops bacterial growth because the sugars dry out the environment making bacterial growth slow down, without causing damage to the healing skin.

and of course, the age old cure.. aloe vera...
    I have a few plants .. they grow like weeds in the south...
    you can just take a stem and squeeze the aloe over a wound.

good thread...
    Sorry to hear about Your brother's injuries @SOCOM42 .

Quote Originally Posted by itstimetobunker View Post
    Found at Vet Depot https://www.vetdepot.com/silver-sulf...RoCmhkQAvD_BwE for $12.24. In my cart--had never heard of it until now. 1% silver sufadiazine for burns, so it may be the same burn cream? If so, it doesn't surprise me that a med for humans vs. animals comes with a high price tag. Have been purchasing fish antibiotics for years, no prescription necessary, same exact antibiotic, made by the same manufacturer--the only difference is availability. Big Pharma is not always our friend!
    Yup, same one, good to have to protect the wound and stimulate skin growth.

The silver nitrate acts as a cauterizing agent and the sulfadiazine as an antibiotic,

the sulphur is the same one used during WW2 to treat wounds of all sorts.

You must have seen war movies where the medic opens up a packet and sprinkles the powder on a wound.
    itstimetobunker and charito like this.

Thanks for the post...... I got looking at my prepper e-library and noticed I had nothing in it for burns. So I did a quick Google search and found plenty of info to add to the collection.
    itstimetobunker and charito like this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Yup, same one, good to have to protect the wound and stimulate skin growth.

The silver nitrate acts as a cauterizing agent and the sulfadiazine as an antibiotic,

the sulphur is the same one used during WW2 to treat wounds of all sorts.

You must have seen war movies where the medic opens up a packet and sprinkles the powder on a wound.
    Awesome info. Purchased! I have seen the war movies you mention. This is an important addition to med supplies. I usually shop at shopmedvet for sutures and other supplies. WAY cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaDOC View Post
    Silvadene is the trade name for one of the companies who manufacture it, another similar brand is called Thermazene, same drug but patients complain it stings more after applying.
    the generic is silver sulfadiazine.

Other good options are polysporin or Bacitracin. petroleum based cream similar to neosporin.
    downside is that the antibacterial coverage isnt as good as silver sulfadiazene.
    the plus is that it doesnt make as much of a mess as silvadene, and it's much cheaper.

another low cost treatment which seems to work well is Honey.
    they use it all over the third world with comparable outcomes.
    some pharm companies tried to manufacture burn dressings with honey called Medihoney... but by the time the lawyers , business guys had their say, it costs as much as silvadene.
    but plain old honey over a wound stops bacterial growth because the sugars dry out the environment making bacterial growth slow down, without causing damage to the healing skin.

and of course, the age old cure.. aloe vera...
    I have a few plants .. they grow like weeds in the south...
    you can just take a stem and squeeze the aloe over a wound.

good thread...
    Sorry to hear about Your brother's injuries @SOCOM42 .
    @BamaDOC , I've read the same about honey, an age old remedy and was even recommended to me by a physician. Big Pharma don't like it, can't get a patent and make big $$$$

How are things going in Ala concerning KungFlu? I hope you and family are fine. Have a good holiday weekend
    itstimetobunker likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links