Masks
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Masks

This is a discussion on Masks within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; So with the shortages of medical masks during the coronavirus, I see a lot of people on FaceBook talking about sewing cloth masks for donation ...

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Masks

Masks

So with the shortages of medical masks during the coronavirus, I see a lot of people on FaceBook talking about sewing cloth masks for donation to doctors offices, EMT's, and family and friends. My wife, who is an RN and works in ICU, doesn't think much of the idea. I know I have read that home made masks, mostly made from cotton, are not sanitary. The natural holes in the material will allow microscopic contaminates to pass through. So what's the truth? Would you trust a homemade mask?
    65mustang likes this.

Super Moderator

(Shrugs) Can't hurt. I figure it beats having someone sneeze in my face--or me sneezing/coughing into someone else's space.
    MountainGirl, Denton and 65mustang like this.
    If you're not listening to "The Denton and Sasquatch Show", you're not on the team.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rmcmurry View Post
    So with the shortages of medical masks during the coronavirus, I see a lot of people on FaceBook talking about sewing cloth masks for donation to doctors offices, EMT's, and family and friends. My wife, who is an RN and works in ICU, doesn't think much of the idea. I know I have read that home made masks, mostly made from cotton, are not sanitary. The natural holes in the material will allow microscopic contaminates to pass through. So what's the truth? Would you trust a homemade mask?
    I guess I would say get more information on what is needed. There is no reason to make masks that will not protect anyone. Or even worse, make them and someone wears it thinking it's safe and it's not. They are practically throwing themselves in harm's way.

I love that you want to help, but I wouldn't make it from the information you see on Facebook. Let us know if you find any good information on the topic.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Denton likes this.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Slippy Hidden Content
    (Slippy is happy that Mish is the daughter he is glad he never had)
    "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." Tyler Durden
    #mishyloveshersometequila

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Any port in a storm, as they say.
    Better'n nothing, as they say.
    Whatever works, as they say.
    Can't hurt, as they say.
    Annie and 65mustang like this.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    Hidden Content . Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Sorry, I disagree with the doesn't hurt idea. People will have a false sense of protection if the mask isn't made of these proper materials. Do your homework before you handout masks.

Slippy, Denton, jacinda and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Slippy Hidden Content
    (Slippy is happy that Mish is the daughter he is glad he never had)
    "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." Tyler Durden
    #mishyloveshersometequila

Quote Originally Posted by Mish View Post
    Sorry, I disagree with the doesn't hurt idea. People will have a false sense of protection if the mask isn't made of these proper materials. Do your homework before you handout masks.

If you hand someone a basic cloth mask and tell them, "Here, wear this and you're perfectly safe", yeah that's a problem.

If you hand someone a basic cloth mask and tell them, "Here, wear this. It's not perfect, but it's the best we've got right now".

Huge difference.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    Hidden Content . Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

This shit just gets stupider and stupider every day.
    Mish, hawgrider, Inor and 5 others like this.

Surgical masks aren't expected to filter out airborne germs. That isn't their purpose.
    Their purpose is to block spray, droplets, and squirts. They are only intended to protect from a cough/sneeze to the face, or blood spray from a wound.

Respirators, on the other hand, are fully intended to block airborne pathogens according to their raiting.

Homemade masks, known not to be respirators, should work just as well as normal paper masks. If they get saturated, they should be replaced.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Surgical masks aren't expected to filter out airborne germs. That isn't their purpose.
    Their purpose is to block spray, droplets, and squirts. They are only intended to protect from a cough/sneeze to the face, or blood spray from a wound.

Respirators, on the other hand, are fully intended to block airborne pathogens according to their raiting.

Homemade masks, known not to be respirators, should work just as well as normal paper masks. If they get saturated, they should be replaced.
    Agree.

Ya know, it's not like the virus is made of microscopic metal attracted to your magnetic personality.. fighting it's way in to you.

IMO, if a mask is 'tight enough' to keep the covid's carrier (sneeze droplet whatever) off your face, it's doing a decent job.

If nothing else, any mask will help you keep your own pickin hands away from your nose/mouth.
    Kauboy, Annie and 65mustang like this.
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

The Providence system was actively recruiting home sewists to make surgical masks from materials they provided, so there must be some need for them. (A local business stepped up and offered to manufacture all the needed masks so the home sewists are on standby.) I heard somewhere that health care workers can wear surgical masks over the N95 masks so that the N95s don't have to be discarded after every patient.
    65mustang likes this.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links