Masks - Page 8
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Masks

This is a discussion on Masks within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack Just tossing this out there: https://www.cheneyfreepress.com/stor...ion/26554.html Short version: The infection rate difference between an N95 respirator and a standard ...

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Masks

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Just tossing this out there:

https://www.cheneyfreepress.com/stor...ion/26554.html

Short version: The infection rate difference between an N95 respirator and a standard surgical mask was about 1%.
    That link points to an article entitled: "Homeowner shoots suspect in West Plains home invasion"
    I suspect that wasn't the link intended.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    That link points to an article entitled: "Homeowner shoots suspect in West Plains home invasion"
    I suspect that wasn't the link intended.
    Copy doesn't work well on my keyboard. It's been corrected.
    Kauboy likes this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Masks are to protect others from you?
    BS
    We wear our masks every time we leave the house.
    I am not the one who coughs and sneezes!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Half mile west of where Jesus left His sandals.
    Back in the day tractors and cars used oil bath air cleaners. Would spraying vegetable or olive oil on a DIY mask be worth it?

For the record between cleaning dusty chicken coops for 30+ years, welding, grinding, machine shop coolant mist, baling hay, etc, I figure if I aint dead now I am doing ok.

I would suggest using 2 layers of those blue shop towels to make masks with. Specifically Zepp and Toolbox brands. They will stop 93% of all particles down to .3 microns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellgar View Post
    I would suggest using 2 layers of those blue shop towels to make masks with. Specifically Zepp and Toolbox brands. They will stop 93% of all particles down to .3 microns.
    How do you know that?

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Copy doesn't work well on my keyboard. It's been corrected.
    Thanks!

After reading the study, I must say that your "short version" is a drastic over-simplification of the findings, and of what the study was intending to show (healthcare worker improper use leading to higher infection rates).
    Based on efficiency of masks, the N95 is superior. (by ~5% according to a referenced study in that one: https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/54/11/1569/321689
    What both studies found was, if you don't wear the mask/respirator correctly, you undermine the effectiveness of either one.

Neither one will overcome poor implementation.
    Whatever you wear, make sure it seals well, or you lose ~30% of potential effectiveness.

Tightly sealing a mask to the face blocked entry of 94.5% of total virus and 94.8% of infectious virus (n = 3).
    A tightly sealed respirator blocked 99.8% of total virus and 99.6% of infectious virus (n = 3).
    A poorly fitted respirator blocked 64.5% of total virus and 66.5% of infectious virus (n = 3).
    A mask documented to be loosely fitting by a PortaCount fit tester, to simulate how masks are worn by healthcare workers, blocked entry of 68.5% of total virus and 56.6% of infectious virus (n = 2).
    (source: the link above)
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    I like that people are trying new things, but I am always skeptical.
    My mother used these bags when making hers, but put the filter layer inside two-ply cotton fabric. I'm also curious about the seams being used here. When Hoover makes their bag seams, they thermo-seal them. They are literally melting the bag's edges together. Is there any reason to think that a sewn edge is going to mimic that same seal? This pattern should include a folded seam to be safer.
    I agree, best case would be to close off those holes. I used some high-temp silicone seal on mine.
    Kauboy likes this.
    Working on my manifesto.

Another thing to consider with masks is that dose matters. A healthcare worker is more likely to be constantly exposed to people actively shedding large quanitities of virus in a contained space. They need the better masks to protect them as well as surgical masks to put on the infected to limit the droplet spread. Most of us will be fine with a lower quality mask, hand washing and good mask putting on/taking off technique. My #1 protection is still staying far away from people and not going out. I'm making the HEPA masks for nurse friends who are having to make do with people's DIY cotton masks of uselessness.
    Kauboy likes this.
    Working on my manifesto.

Quote Originally Posted by OrneryOldBat View Post
    I agree, best case would be to close off those holes. I used some high-temp silicone seal on mine.
    I did see a YT vid where the person went to great lengths to ensure every seam they stitched received a coating of low-temp hot glue across it for a final seal. I thought that was a good step. Low heat was needed due to the fabric's tendency to melt at certain temperatures.
    The silicone seal is probably more durable though. Good idea!
    OrneryOldBat likes this.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links