Seed Source for Medicinal Plants - Page 2

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Seed Source for Medicinal Plants

This is a discussion on Seed Source for Medicinal Plants within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut About the only weeds I bother with trying to eradicate are wild blackberry briars, morning glory vines, the neighbors English ivy ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Seed Source for Medicinal Plants

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    About the only weeds I bother with trying to eradicate are wild blackberry briars, morning glory vines, the neighbors English ivy and dock. I don't care if any of those have any medicinal or nutritional properties, I don't want them here on my property because they are all so invasive and it's a constant battle every year.
    The Himalayan blackberries and the English ivy are on Washington's invasive weeds list.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    The Himalayan blackberries and the English ivy are on Washington's invasive weeds list.
    yep and on my sh*t list too, right along with morning glory and dock

yep and on my sh*t list too, right along with morning glory and dock
    The morning glory is the worst. I read that the seeds remain viable for up to 20 years and the roots can break through hard pan. Any little piece of root left in the ground can grow another plant.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Y'all need some Kudzu up in the Pacific North West!
    Chiefster23 and inceptor like this.

We have Crown Vetch here in NE. Is that good for anything ?

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Any little piece of root left in the ground can grow another plant.
    I think that holds true for the others as well, or has in my experience. The dock has a tap root that goes straight down and may or may not have branches off from the main and all of it has to be dug out or it comes back. I throw it all away in the garbage or burn it....and they all keep coming back.

As for the morning glory, the roots are easy enough to pull as the runners are usually close to the surface. I do like morning glory and love the flowers, especially some of the colored varieties......just not in my yard!!

Now if I had some acreage, I'd let them all go to do their own thing...….except the dock. That stuff is ugly and I see no purpose in it. I just did a search and surprisingly it does have some good properties and is edible with lots of vitamins and minerals......but I still don't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Thanks, but no......we have enough trouble of our own. Looking that one up, shows it is native to the Asias and brought here for soil erosion and was used for Chinese medicinal purposes...….to prevent intoxication, reduce muscle pain and treat measles.

https://www.drugs.com/npp/kudzu.html

Quote Originally Posted by Demitri.14 View Post
    We have Crown Vetch here in NE. Is that good for anything ?
    Crown vetch, like common vetch is a legume. Though crown vetch has been used for soil erosion, and is an invasive species. IF it's anything like the common, as kids we used to pick off the flower pieces and suck out the honey nectar and with that may be a bee friendly vine plant. AND can be used to rehab or improve soil. Deer like to eat it. Maybe even cows, but is reported to pose a threat to horses. IDK.

https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2255

If you don't want it, you can either pull the plants or mow them frequently. As for a medicinal, it has been used as a diuretic and cardio-tonic.

https://www.botanical-online.com/en/...nilla-toxicity

As for the morning glory, the roots are easy enough to pull as the runners are usually close to the surface. I do like morning glory and love the flowers, especially some of the colored varieties......just not in my yard!!
    Ah, now the colored ones aren't the same as the white ones. The other name for the white ones is bindweed, and those are the ones I was talking about. They're the devil.
    Last edited by paulag1955; 02-16-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    No, thanks! We have Himalayan blackberries and the thorns on those are wicked. Some of them can go right through leather work gloves.
    JustAnotherNut and Michael_Js like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links