"Medical EDC: Critical Gear You Should Carry" from Shooting Illustrated
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on "Medical EDC: Critical Gear You Should Carry" from Shooting Illustrated within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I've just read this and to my untrained eye, it seems like good advise. But I feel like there's much more to the story. Sounds ...

Like Tree20Likes
  • 2 Post By Marica
  • 8 Post By SOCOM42
  • 5 Post By rice paddy daddy
  • 4 Post By Prepared One
  • 1 Post By rice paddy daddy

Thread: "Medical EDC: Critical Gear You Should Carry" from Shooting Illustrated

I've just read this and to my untrained eye, it seems like good advise. But I feel like there's much more to the story.

Sounds like he's recommending just two things.

What say y'all who know better?

HTML Code:
    https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2020/2/5/medical-edc-critical-gear-you-should-carry/
    ?? above??

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...-should-carry/
    Denton and RedLion like this.

Too much reading, I stopped halfway through.

Myself, I do not carry on me anything other than whatever 2 guns and magazines I have.

Plus my 4 inch Gerber folder.

My USGI first aid kits are in both Jeeps, they contain more than he speaks of.

I am never far from either of them, if I did carry anything it would a tourniquet and quick clot.

Almost anything can be used for a sucking chest wound if needed, even a chip bag.

In 58 years of CC, as a civilian I have had two street encounters, survived those and the 65 Watts riots.

I was not hit and I sure as hell did not give aid to the perps, especially in 65.

The probability of another outside encounter is near zero, but still there.

If I wore a MAGA hat or had Trump stickers on the Jeeps the threat probability would jump to about 80%.

I think my hip problem is from carrying a 1911A1 for 50 years.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 02-06-2020 at 03:55 PM.

The Good Cop

I still remember the battle field first aid that was a part of US Army Basic Combat Infantry Training.
    There were even realistic strap on replicas of injuries, such as intestines blown out of a body, or facial/jaw wounds, that fellow recruits would put on and we would learn how to "treat" them.
    Mostly it boiled down to attempting to stop bleeding and prevent shock until the patient could be medi vac'd.
    The 4 life saving steps are burned into my brain.
    1. Clear the airway
    2. Stop the bleeding
    3. Protect the wound.
    4. Treat for shock.

It is amazing how focused you become when trying to save someone's life.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have several blow out kits. One in each truck, one with my range bag, one with my BOB, my full medical kit, etc. You tube has lots of videos on either making one yourself or buying one complete. It's generally cheaper to make your own. Stop the bleeding is the name of the game. I read someplace that most combat deaths aren't from the bullet itself but rather from bleeding out. If your around guns you should have at the very least a tourniquet and know how to use it, but a blow out kit is so much more.

" All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Truthfully, . . . I cannot tell you everything I have in either BOB, . . . my BIB, . . . or my range safety bag.

I can tell you at least there is quick clot, a tourniquet, . . . surgical gloves, . . . some bandages, . . . and that pink stretchy stuff ya put on a wound to hold everything in place.

I disremember what else is in there because from time to time something will get changed.

BUT, . . . I do believe in having the basic first aid with you pretty much all the time, . . . especially if you CCW.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

The Good Cop

Don't forget - if the victim is outside (not in a structure) and falls to the ground, make sure dirt and debris did not get into the mouth where he could choke.
    The 4 lifesaving steps I listed above are in the correct order of importance.
    It takes about 4 minutes to bleed out if something big is shot/cut/blown off, such as the femoral artery. But, someone could choke to death faster than that.
    Prepared One likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Sponsored Links