Threat Alert: Chinese Coronavirus - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threat Alert: Chinese Coronavirus

This is a discussion on Threat Alert: Chinese Coronavirus within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose Along the same train of thought, do Chinese folks buy the same products they produce? Or would only cargo headed for ...

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Threat Alert: Chinese Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
    Along the same train of thought, do Chinese folks buy the same products they produce? Or would only cargo headed for the states be laced with some virus?
    Generally speaking, chicom people do not buy the crap that they mass produce that is destined for the US. They do consume some of the products but it is my understanding that the production lines are separated at some chicom plants; meaning that one production line is consigned by a US company and the products produced are dedicated to that US company. Other production lines are dedicated to stay in China for chicom people.

Walmart and Sams Club has a large number of stores in China. FOOD is the number 1 product that chinese people buy at these type of stores and much of it is imported into China from other countries, including the US. Food safety is the chicom people's biggest concern, they need safe and better food than they can produce in china. The chicom people are more interested in buying food than buying some shitty little plastic piece of crap gadget that gets used twice then tossed into the "junk drawer" for the next 10 years.
    1skrewsloose and Prepared One like this.

Thanks for the insight!
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Based on this development, I went on amazon this morning looking at disposable surgical masks. Some are not available and many have delivery dates weeks in the future. I’m betting that current stocks are sold out already. The future delivery dates are when the suppliers are expecting new stock. If this virus is as serious as expected, I’m betting that most future inventory will either be ‘appropriated’ by the government or very quickly sold out. If you want some masks and gloves, better buy now as I think very soon nothing will be available.

The above link that Denton posted is very scary. Is the source of this article usually reliable? If so, time to top up preps and prepare to hunker in for an extended period to avoid contact.
    NotTooProudToHide likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Based on this development, I went on amazon this morning looking at disposable surgical masks. Some are not available and many have delivery dates weeks in the future. I’m betting that current stocks are sold out already. The future delivery dates are when the suppliers are expecting new stock. If this virus is as serious as expected, I’m betting that most future inventory will either be ‘appropriated’ by the government or very quickly sold out. If you want some masks and gloves, better buy now as I think very soon nothing will be available.

The above link that Denton posted is very scary. Is the source of this article usually reliable? If so, time to top up preps and prepare to hunker in for an extended period to avoid contact.
    I bought some from amazon as well, delivery expected mid feb. I have to get groceries today so I'll probably stop at a hardware store and pickup some dust masks. They're not 100% effective but then again what is. I'm not overly concerned right now but it doesn't hurt to be thinking ahead.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

For disinfecting items:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...rradiation.pdf

In consideration of the possible infectious role of SARS-CoV RNA, sodium hypochlorite 0.1% appear to be the more efficacious disinfectant for surfaces and hands potentially contaminated with respiratory viruses and SARS-CoV.
    5 tablespoons of 6% bleach in 4 liters of water = 0.1% sodium hypochlorite solution.

For disinfecting items that can't be wiped/rinsed in bleach (mail, N95 masks, maybe currency) then:

U.V. radiation, instead, damage nucleic acid because RNA adsorb UV radiation of germicidal wavelengths and is the major targets of the powerful antimicrobal effects of these type of electromagnetic radiation. In according to this, irradiation of UV for few minutes on the virus in culture medium resulted in the destruction of viral infectivity.
    Think I'm going to throw one of these in the cart on the next amazon order. https://www.amazon.com/Germicidal-Oz.../dp/B07KYTHWCS Not that I'm overly worried about 2019-nCoV, but wouldn't hurt to have one since UV light can kill many disease causing microbes.
    Green Lilly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Slow day at work so was doing a little research on this. I'm not a Dr, but FWIW... On elderberry, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11399518 ,

This is not what we want for treating conoravirus according to this research on hCoV (human coronavirus) in general, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28466096 (only the abstract is available for free, but I have full access to the paper through work):

and their conclusion:

So digging around a little more on the cytokine TNF, I found (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4926454/) that the flavonoid Apigenin is a natural TNF inhibitor, and that chamomile is rich in Apigenin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apigenin).

So, I think, no elderberry for 2019-nCoV, but chamomile tea instead. What I haven't had time to look into yet is if the Apigenin in chamomile would be inactivated/destroyed in the digestive tract (first pass metabolism), but even if so then some chamomile placed under the tongue (or between lip and gum like chewing tobacco) might avoid that and some Apigenin might be absorbed sublingually. As a side note, beer and red wine also appear to be sources of Apigenin
    Thanks for putting that together Crunch. I have been telling people to be careful with the Elderberry for infections like this. Did not know about chamomile tea. Will get some at the store. I have the beer covered already LOL.

I still think the risk is pretty low for western countries but I did purchase masks some time ago for a situation like this. Should it become bad I have them down in my preps. Adult size for hubs and I and the child size for little man.

I haven't heard (and truth is, not sure how much you can depend on the info that China releases) of any younger healthy people passing from this virus. From what they are saying its the elderly and people with underlying medical conditions that can have a severe reaction to this virus. Hopefully it burns itself out pretty quick.

As far as the virus coming over on Chinese made products, I am not sure about this particular strain but SARS could only last up to 2 days on hard surfaces and in feces. I would assume this one is pretty similar so I doubt any virus particles would be able to survive the boat trip over here.
    Crunch likes this.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

the Jakarta Pandemic is a great book that is well written and covers a pandemic..and how people react

https://www.amazon.com/Jakarta-Pande.../dp/B0047DX080
    Be a Berean

Just checked amazon again. The masks that I purchased 2 hours ago are now no longer available. The run on these types of products is in full swing. I’m going to get some pool shock and bleach today.
    Crunch likes this.

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post

Just ordered two boxes of fifty each, 99% effective against viruses and bacteria is the claim, $20.00 and free shipping, will be delivered by Monday.....
    Crunch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lilly View Post
    Thanks for putting that together Crunch. I have been telling people to be careful with the Elderberry for infections like this. Did not know about chamomile tea. Will get some at the store. I have the beer covered already LOL.
    No problem at all, enjoy researching things like this. And if beer is therapeutic, then I may already be immune to 2019-nCoV
    Last edited by Crunch; 01-24-2020 at 08:52 AM.
    T-Man 1066 likes this.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links