Threat Alert: Chinese Coronavirus - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threat Alert: Chinese Coronavirus

This is a discussion on Threat Alert: Chinese Coronavirus within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Slow day at work so was doing a little research on this. I'm not a Dr, but FWIW... On elderberry, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11399518 , Production of inflammatory ...

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Threat Alert: Chinese Coronavirus

Slow day at work so was doing a little research on this. I'm not a Dr, but FWIW... On elderberry, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11399518 ,

Production of inflammatory cytokines (IL-1 beta, TNF-alpha, IL-6, IL-8) was significantly increased, mostly by the Sambucol Black Elderberry Extract (2-45 fold), as compared to LPS, a known monocyte activator (3.6-10.7 fold). The most striking increase was noted in TNF-alpha production (44.9 fold). We conclude from this study that, in addition to its antiviral properties, Sambucol Elderberry Extract and its formulations activate the healthy immune system by increasing inflammatory cytokine production[/b].
    This is not what we want for treating conoravirus according to this research on hCoV (human coronavirus) in general, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28466096 (only the abstract is available for free, but I have full access to the paper through work):

neutralization of TNF activity or infection of mice lacking TNFR provides protection against SARS-CoV-induced morbidity and mortality
    and their conclusion:

Inflammation is an indispensable part of an effective immune response, without which successful elimination of an infectious
    agent is difficult. The inflammatory response begins with the initial recognition of a pathogen, which then mediates
    immune cell recruitment, eliminates pathogens, and ultimately results in tissue repair and return to homeostasis. However,
    certain viruses such as highly pathogenic CoVs, IAV, and ebola viruses induce excessive and prolonged cytokine/
    chemokine response known as cytokine storms, which results in high morbidity and mortality due to immunopathology.

Although studies reviewed in this manuscript provide evidence that cytokine storms and immunopathology can occur
    during pathogenic hCOV infections, we do not yet have a sufficient understanding of the specific factor/s responsible for
    exuberant inflammatory responses. Studies from human autopsies and animal models strongly suggest a pathogenic role
    for inflammatory cytokines/chemokines derived from IMM and neutrophils. Therefore, therapeutic interventions targeting
    these pro-inflammatory cytokines and chemokines could prove beneficial in ameliorating undesirable inflammatory responses.

Additionally, since high virus titers at early and later stages of infection strongly correlate with disease severity in
    humans, strategies directed at controlling viral load as well as attenuating the inflammatory response might prove beneficial.
    Therefore, future studies should focus on identification of specific signaling pathways that mediate inflammatory responses
    in hCoV-infected patients and animals.
    So digging around a little more on the cytokine TNF, I found (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4926454/) that the flavonoid Apigenin is a natural TNF inhibitor, and that chamomile is rich in Apigenin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apigenin).

So, I think, no elderberry for 2019-nCoV, but chamomile tea instead. What I haven't had time to look into yet is if the Apigenin in chamomile would be inactivated/destroyed in the digestive tract (first pass metabolism), but even if so then some chamomile placed under the tongue (or between lip and gum like chewing tobacco) might avoid that and some Apigenin might be absorbed sublingually. As a side note, beer and red wine also appear to be sources of Apigenin
    Last edited by Crunch; 01-23-2020 at 04:38 PM.
    Green Lilly likes this.

Along the same train of thought, do Chinese folks buy the same products they produce? Or would only cargo headed for the states be laced with some virus?
    Slippy likes this.
    I will not submit! Just leave me be!

Quote Originally Posted by Demitri.14 View Post
    Why do all the viruses originate in China ?
    In China you squat and poop on the side of the street.

1/3rd of the earths population resides inside their borders.
    Slippy likes this.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    We live in Snohomish County.
    Me too! Odd time to find commonality.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarök View Post
    Me too! Odd time to find commonality.
    We're in the SE corner. Close to Bothell/Woodinville.

Super Moderator

If this is accurate, we might have a bit of a problem. Something like this will be difficult to contain....

https://halturnerradioshow.com/index...d-112-000-dead
    Piratesailor likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

Oh, and read the comments in the above-offered article.
    Dr. Gregory House

So who thinks Chinese Gov will be forthcoming with all the facts?
    Denton likes this.

Hello everybody, long time no see. I have a question for those who have been paying attention to disease outbreaks for far longer than I have. How serious is this virus scare compared other scares such as the Ebola outbreak in 2014, and the H1N1 outbreak in 2009? Essentially should I be as concerned as the media seems to say I should be.
    Denton likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mastermclaster View Post
    Hello everybody, long time no see. I have a question for those who have been paying attention to disease outbreaks for far longer than I have. How serious is this virus scare compared other scares such as the Ebola outbreak in 2014, and the H1N1 outbreak in 2009? Essentially should I be as concerned as the media seems to say I should be.
    They all have the potential to be serious.

This virus is in the same category as the common cold, but deadlier. It's spread by a cough, a sneeze or the touch of a doorknob. The handle of the fuel pump. A shared computer keyboard. You know the guy at work who never washes his hands?
    Dr. Gregory House

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links