Threat Alert: Chinese Coronavirus - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threat Alert: Chinese Coronavirus

This is a discussion on Threat Alert: Chinese Coronavirus within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Its a Coronavirus. As bad as SARS was it still only killed 800 people when it broke out in the early 2000's. And that was ...

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Threat Alert: Chinese Coronavirus

Its a Coronavirus. As bad as SARS was it still only killed 800 people when it broke out in the early 2000's. And that was after China hid it from the world for 5 months and had a sub par response to it. It is good that people are being vigilant but I think quarantining millions is a bit of overkill for what amounts to a nasty cold. Which has me questioning the real purpose for blowing this up to be a huge deal. Some new drug or vaccine about to hit the market?

As with any virus, flu etc...the immunosupressed and elderly should keep a close eye on it. Follow proper hygiene practices etc etc. No different than how we treat flu season really.

Just perspective- flu infected 42.9 MILLION people in the 2018-2019 flu season of which 61,000 people died.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Reading a few articles this morning about this virus. Over 20 million in 3 cities are now quarantined... so my thought is, what do the chicoms know and aren’t saying. Maybe nothing and maybe trying to head off the bad press SARS caused.

SARS had an 11% mortality rate and so far this one has a 2%.

CNN, the worthless network it is, has called it a Pandemic. What bafoons.. but hopefully it won’t be one.

The scientist that stopped SARS is 83 and they brought him in to stop this one however he has said the “golden hour” to stop the spread has passed. No further explanation and from reports it seems the chicoms are now pulling back on previous transparency.

Glad I don’t travel any more. Would routinely clock 150k miles a year all around the world. Being on a plane with someone sick is not my idea of fun...

Btw, as a side note, in the pictures they show all these people with masks. I”m wondering about the effectiveness of those masks.
    MountainGirl and Slippy like this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post

Btw, as a side note, in the pictures they show all these people with masks. I”m wondering about the effectiveness of those masks.
    "The deadly new virus spreading across Asia is far more contagious than previously thought and someone who is infected can spread it with just a simple cough or a sneeze, scientists say."

Good article -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-lockdown.html
    Ready. You?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    "The deadly new virus spreading across Asia is far more contagious than previously thought and someone who is infected can spread it with just a simple cough or a sneeze, scientists say."

Good article -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-lockdown.html
    Also from the article-

"A top official at the National Institute of Health (NIH) revealed Wednesday that human trials for a vaccine targeting 2019-nCoV could begin within three months.

Anthony S Fauci, the director of NIH's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told Bloomberg Law that his agency is working with Cambridge, Massachusetts-based biotech company Moderna Inc to develop the vaccine.

'We're already working on it,' Fauci said. 'And hopefully in a period of about three months, we'll be able to start a phase I trial in humans."

Interesting indeed.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Verba Bellum View Post
    Here are some of my Preps:

1. Have 2lbs of Echinacea ready
    2. Preparing to order 1lb or so of dry Elderberries
    3. Got plenty of OTC antihistamines
    4. Have about 12oz of Colloidal silver
    5. About to order a colloidal silver generator
    6. About to order a nebulizer
    7. About to buy Mangosteen juice
    8. About to buy some beef liver
    9. About to make a pitcher of green tea
    10. Got some pine needles ready

I expect that most of you here will already be familiar with most of those items. But for those of you who may not, I'll briefly explain why I choose those items.

1. When combined to make a tea, echinacea and elderberry is an AWESOME immune booster and has amazing antiviral properties.
    Caution may be warranted on the use of elderberries, it's believed their effectiveness against viruses are by simulating cytokine production, cytokines being an immune response. Normally that's a good thing, but not always...

In human infection with highly virulent respiratory viruses, such as avian influenza H5N1, H7N9, and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, immunopathogenesis caused by hyper-induction of proinflammatory cytokines (also known as hypercytokinemia or cytokine storm) may play an important role in the disease progression and the ultimate mortality

Can't find anything on cytokine storms playing a role in the deaths for the current 2019-nCoV outbreak though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Caution may be warranted on the use of elderberries, it's believed their effectiveness against viruses are by simulating cytokine production, cytokines being an immune response. Normally that's a good thing, but not always..
    Thanks for the info. Noted.

How do we know that the chicoms won't start putting some virus, bacteria or germ in some of the crappy ass products that they sell Walmart? Hmmmm?
    MountainGirl, Deebo and Michael_Js like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Caution may be warranted on the use of elderberries, it's believed their effectiveness against viruses are by simulating cytokine production, cytokines being an immune response. Normally that's a good thing, but not always...

In human infection with highly virulent respiratory viruses, such as avian influenza H5N1, H7N9, and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, immunopathogenesis caused by hyper-induction of proinflammatory cytokines (also known as hypercytokinemia or cytokine storm) may play an important role in the disease progression and the ultimate mortality

Can't find anything on cytokine storms playing a role in the deaths for the current 2019-nCoV outbreak though.
    This is good information. Thanks.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post

N95 masks are better than nothing but they don't offer a seal, so air comes in from the sides when you breathe. It's more important that infected or possibly infected people wear them.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Ugh, having my mom in the hospital since Monday. A lot of flu and colds here in NM lately.
    Most of the hospital staff is sick, many are missing, that puts pressure on the overworked staff to stay at work, even when they know they should stay home.
    I haven't been wearing a mask, but today i will.
    I do use the sanitizer dispensers a lot, and wash before I go in, because I make her a tea.
    I use the sanitizer on the way out, but will probably triple down on it now.
    Denton likes this.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links