Anyone a WFR?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Anyone a WFR?

This is a discussion on Anyone a WFR? within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Is anyone here a Wilderness First Responder. I've been interested in taking the course for years, but have never had the time (still don't). But ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Slippy
  • 2 Post By BigTimber
  • 1 Post By sharpe151
  • 1 Post By bigwheel
  • 1 Post By jim-henscheli
  • 3 Post By Michael_Js

Thread: Anyone a WFR?

Anyone a WFR?

Is anyone here a Wilderness First Responder. I've been interested in taking the course for years, but have never had the time (still don't). But I'd like to hear feedback on the course from anyone who has taken it.

https://www.nols.edu/en/coursefinder...responder-WFR/

Sounds like fun! But if you're doing this to pick up chicks, I'm sure there are better options...

https://www.nols.edu/en/coursefinder...responder-WFR/
    A Watchman likes this.

No... sadly. There was a company offering classes about 3 hours away, 5 days long, 8-5. Was thinking about using vacation time and getting a room nearby to take it, and while I was procrastinating the company got bought out and they aren't offering classes at that location any longer.

Short of more advanced training, always thought WFR or military training in prolonged field care matched up well with SHTF preparedness.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Sounds like fun! But if you're doing this to pick up chicks, I'm sure there are better options...
    Lol, I'm 40 and married. If my wife and I want to pick up chicks... well, this program wouldn't be our first choice.

I was a rock climber for many years, still enjoy it when I have the time. In the climbing community becoming a Wilderness First Responder was highly regarded. At the time I couldn't afford it, now time is my limiting factor and was wondering if it is worth the investment (of time).
    Slippy and Camel923 like this.

I took the course a couple of years ago, then parlayed it into EMT and AEMT. It's the best course of its length I've ever taken. 10 days of intensive hands on training. I strongly recommend it. You'll learn both what works and what doesn't, and the difference between them.
    bigwheel likes this.

Do sound like a worthwhile course. I would get a room and party at night..just dont be late getting to class. They prob drum you out on that. Dont show up reeking. That rock climbing sounds terrifying to us who have acrophobia. Thanks. I havent had any bad dreams about falling off a mountian lately but now I will get some. I alwys dream I land on pointed church steeple and get impaled on it like a dog on a stick or something. I can look around but cant get un impaled. In fact I need a heart pill right now just thinking about stuff like that. I sometimes dream of falling out of an airplane too but always land on the steeple. Its probably sorta odd huh?
    Slippy likes this.

I’m a woofer and a wilderness EMT,through NOLS/WMA. It was a great course, my instructor, mark crawford was an Air Force para rescue jumper, super squared away. The other instructors were a mix of paramedics, ski patrol, military and climbers.
    They taught me a lot, including lock picking lol.

NOLS absorbed the Wilderness Medical Association, some time in the early 2ks I think.. anyway, NOLS was founded by Paul Pedzoldt, and Is great organization, but liberalism has certainly taken its toll on them, and I believe that I lucked out to have taken the course when I did.
    I later took an urban EMT course, and they were not Nearly as good as WMA, but I together I went on to work a couple years on the ambulance, it was extraordinarily educational.
    Slippy likes this.
    Thinking about all this stuff to keep from thinking about something else, isn’t that what secret police are all about?

About a dozen years back I took Wilderness First Aid from the Red Cross.
    It was an intense hands on course from Friday morning till Sunday afternoon. We occupied a camp ground overnights and used their meeting room.
    Classes were from 8 AM till around 9 PM.

From my perspective it was all about when there was no hospital readily available.

I recall at least two RN's in the class that really pushed the conversations with added value.

It was well worth the time.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 07-17-2020 at 05:34 PM.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

Took a CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) course with the county last year. My town doesn't have any associated with the fire department, which is sad. Anyway, lots of good info. Without practicing, or a known local team, a refresher would be needed...I carry all the gear, but...if needed, I would stop and help out...

Knowledge and skills are super important!

peace,
    Michael J.
    Denton, Slippy and Prepared One like this.

Sponsored Links