Sprains, strains, tears, and fractures
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Sprains, strains, tears, and fractures within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; As a group, I've noticed preppers seem to put much more focus on treating bleeding (lacerations/puncture) injuries than on musculoskeletal injuries like sprains or fractures. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Sprains, strains, tears, and fractures

As a group, I've noticed preppers seem to put much more focus on treating bleeding (lacerations/puncture) injuries than on musculoskeletal injuries like sprains or fractures. I could be mistaken on that, but 'bandages' do get discussed more than 'splints' or 'braces' in the first-aid section of most survival forums imho. Looking at recent workplace injury numbers this morning, and combining the fractures with the sprains and strains category, a person is five times more likely to miss work from these than from a cut/laceration/puncture injury. The occupational injury data might not be a direct comparison to the type of injury most likely to occur during or after a SHTF/EOTW event, but it could be similar.

Thoughts on this, and what training, supplies, equipment, and or reference material for treating sprains, strains, and fractures have you got?
    bigwheel likes this.

Red Cross manuals & literature. The basic RC class we took a while back focused heavily on real life scenarios where these sorts of injuries were common. Again, it was a while back but the class included a kit of things you'd need for splints & such. Still have it in the tornado room along with other stuff.

Scout manuals. I only have older ones so not sure what's included these days but the ones I have include learning first aid for falls, etc.-- thinks kids would encounter (or used to).

As far as equipment / kits go, I tend to think that personalized kits and supplies are better than the (stupid & over-priced) ones you can buy even at places which sell themselves as outdoor survivalist sites. Looked extensively at these a couple of years ago. We were completely in charge of a 120 person SEC tailgate. My hand came between a generator and a trailer wall. So in this case bleeding. To say that the first aid kit we had was worthless is giving it too much credit. Even the campus cops had to really dig around to find the needed stuff. So again, I tend to think through the likely (and not so likely) situations / problems and build my own solutions.

Finally-- things like crutches, wheel chairs, walkers are ridiculously expensive new. If you have to buy them (maybe insurance paid), keep them just in case you need them again. Or pick them up at the flea mall.
    Crunch and Prepared One like this.

Banned

Having an air cast in the inventory is not a bad idea, and material to create a splint is not hard to come across. But depending on the nature of the fracture it will require medical attention if it is severe enough.

As far as sprained ankles go, they happen. Sometimes you will just have to drive on at a reduced pace and grin and bear it until you can get off your feet for a few days. The best thing you can do is attempt to watch your footing as much as possible and avoid the gopher and prairie dog holes and avoid going ass over end when you are going up a hill.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Personally I think we should emphasize stab wounds and gunshots. If the world is going to get hard with supplies as scarce items, you know that people will be fighting over the dregs, especially if they have children.

When most of the stores have been looted and the good food has gone rancid, people will shoot you for a box of crackers.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Personally I think we should emphasize stab wounds and gunshots. If the world is going to get hard with supplies as scarce items, you know that people will be fighting over the dregs, especially if they have children.

When most of the stores have been looted and the good food has gone rancid, people will shoot you for a box of crackers.

How do you intend to survive a gunshot wound without medical care? If you get tagged and don't bleed out initially it is still a grim survival prognosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    As a group, I've noticed preppers seem to put much more focus on treating bleeding (lacerations/puncture) injuries than on musculoskeletal injuries like sprains or fractures. I could be mistaken on that, but 'bandages' do get discussed more than 'splints' or 'braces' in the first-aid section of most survival forums imho. Looking at recent workplace injury numbers this morning, and combining the fractures with the sprains and strains category, a person is five times more likely to miss work from these than from a cut/laceration/puncture injury. The occupational injury data might not be a direct comparison to the type of injury most likely to occur during or after a SHTF/EOTW event, but it could be similar.

Thoughts on this, and what training, supplies, equipment, and or reference material for treating sprains, strains, and fractures have you got?
    Glad you mentioned this. I been in bad pain since Friday night when I missed the chair in my mancave..busted the coola and took a rib shot from the adjacent lawn mower. Pretty sure I broke a rib. Got two ace bandages around it just like they taught in boy scouts..cept we was trained to use official boy scout neckerchiefs since ace bandages was yet future seems like. Some Stuff called Bio Freeze helps on the pain but its ice cold to put it on.
    Slippy, Crunch and Prepared One like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Glad you mentioned this. I been in bad pain since Friday night when I missed the chair in my mancave..busted the coola and took a rib shot from the adjacent lawn mower. Pretty sure I broke a rib. Got two ace bandages around it just like they taught in boy scouts..cept we was trained to use official boy scout neckerchiefs since ace bandages was yet future seems like. Some Stuff called Bio Freeze helps on the pain but its ice cold to put it on.
    For some reason, I have a suspicion that most of the World's Problems have been solved again and again in @bigwheel 's garage...er..."man cave"...
    bigwheel, Prepared One and Marica like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Hope you're feeling better soon, bigwheel!
    bigwheel likes this.
    Let us use the time as best we may.

Blood loss and infection are much more likely to end your life than a sprained ankle or a broken arm. That is why they are prepped for more commonly.

I’d much rather have a bottle of wide spectrum anti biotic with me than a wrist brace. When the time comes all you have to do is suck it up and take the pain. The doctor prescribes half a bottle of bourbon pre operation...consumed preferably quickly.

Get some excellent boots to protect your ankles. Preparing is also preventing.
    Slippy and Marica like this.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarök View Post
    Get some excellent boots to protect your ankles. Preparing is also preventing.
    This is what I was going to say, plus make sure they're well-fitting and broken in prior to needing them in an emergency. And when you say to "protect your ankles" I'll add that, yes, that means high tops.
    Last edited by paulag1955; 01-06-2020 at 04:12 PM.
    Ragnarök likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links